News Feel good story!

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
Since all the bad stuff has happened it's time for something like this.

You don’t need me to tell you just how badly it’s been for the Bulldogs since they played their last game in Round 25 against the Cronulla Sharks.

The Dogs spent the end of the season on the up, with some encouraging performances being put in against the Warriors and the Dragons. They had the opportunity to blood new talents such as Rhyse Martin, Reimis Smith and Lachlan Lewis.

Promise was being shown for 2019, things were up at Belmore.

Then came the disaster of the Mad Monday celebrations on the terrace of the Harbour View Hotel. Whether you view it as indecent from the players, or intrusive from the media, it cannot be denied that the club suffered as a result of the event.

They were fined, and the reputation of the club was damaged incredibly. The rugby league spotlight was drawn away from the closest finals series in history, and towards the disrepute the Bulldogs players had brought to the game.

Then came the dark cloud over their new signing Dylan Napa. The ‘Big Papi’ story has been reported to death, and believe me I don’t want to write it up any more than you want to read it again, so I’ll spare us both the trouble.

SEE ALSO: Burgess rejects Parramatta offer
But what’s constantly missed out on by the media is the good that clubs such as the Bulldogs do, and have been doing throughout both ‘scandals’.

One example is that of Nabeel Malik, who is a Bulldogs fan who had been diagnosed with a life threatening disease in late August. Understandably, Nabeel was struggling at the time.

He contacted Josh Jackson in the small hope that he might get a reply to cheer him up.

What Jackson did afterwards was above and beyond a simple reply.

He invited Nabeel to training leading up to their final game of the season, where he was able to meet all the players and grab some photo opportunities. Five-Eighth Josh Cleeland even wrote Nabeel’s name on his arm, dedicating his Round 25 game to him.

This is just one instance of Jackson’s positive actions.

In the days after the Napa videos were released, the negative media surrounding the club didn’t stop Jackson from getting out and making the fans happy.

Jackson and club great Terry Lamb paid a surprise visit to Trevor McCarren in hospital, who’d just been diagnosed with a severe cardiac issue.

Trevor has been a Canterbury supporter since birth, and has held Jackson as his favourite player for years, due to their shared selflessness and determined work ethic.

SEE ALSO: ‘Comparison’ is the ugliest word in rugby league
Patrina McCarren (a family member) wrote a letter of thanks to the club the following day, stating the following:

“On behalf of Trevor, and our family, I want to say a big thank you for making yesterday afternoon happen […] It is a memory our family will cherish, on a day that Trev was probably feeling at his lowest!”

Obviously, feel-good stories don’t sell papers. That always has been and always will be the case. The negative ‘crisis’ events will gain all the publicity, and portray the game in a much more dire state than it is.

But actions such as those of Josh Jacksonshow the nature of the vast majority of rugby league players, which is an encouraging thought as we endure what has been by far and away the most damaging off-season in the sport’s history.

It may only be two people, but the effects on Nabeel and Trevor have influenced many others throughout the rugby league world. Nabeel himself has since beaten the disease and is healthy again, whilst Trevor continues to battle on tirelessly.

These stories show the reality of our game, and the power it has. No matter how small the action, the effects it has can be literally, life-changing.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How did this slip through the cracks to see the light of day. If a journalist at one of the big media sources wrote this I wish them well while hunting for their next job.

Jokes aside, I find it sad that the negativity dominates the headlines. Jackson is one of many footballers who do great things outside of their obligations. The media are absolute vultures who don't care about aiding the games growth. If it made them an extra dollar they'd destroy the game completely.

Daustin

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
and if only for every negative headline adam elliot received after mad monday another journo could have written 5 positive ones about the amount of selfless charity work he has continued to do year after year. How much better the NRL as a brand would look if the media contributed to their overall image through positive articles like the one above. Such a shame people need to feed off negativity to sell a few papers

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks mate...
Was a good read..!! Enjoyed it.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Well done to our guys and all the best to those poor buggers struggling.

I think it highlights that the NRL needs to consider fighting fire with fire with regards to biased negative media. Greenturd is only known for being reactive though. Employ someone to constantly gather these stories and make sure they do see the light of day (and I don't just mean put it up on the NRL official site) and ban certain media people from NRL info/media sessions due to the damage that they bring.

Last edited:

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Any source on this article? Where was it published?

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Since all the bad stuff has happened it's time for something like this.

You don’t need me to tell you just how badly it’s been for the Bulldogs since they played their last game in Round 25 against the Cronulla Sharks.

The Dogs spent the end of the season on the up, with some encouraging performances being put in against the Warriors and the Dragons. They had the opportunity to blood new talents such as Rhyse Martin, Reimis Smith and Lachlan Lewis.

Promise was being shown for 2019, things were up at Belmore.

Then came the disaster of the Mad Monday celebrations on the terrace of the Harbour View Hotel. Whether you view it as indecent from the players, or intrusive from the media, it cannot be denied that the club suffered as a result of the event.

They were fined, and the reputation of the club was damaged incredibly. The rugby league spotlight was drawn away from the closest finals series in history, and towards the disrepute the Bulldogs players had brought to the game.

Then came the dark cloud over their new signing Dylan Napa. The ‘Big Papi’ story has been reported to death, and believe me I don’t want to write it up any more than you want to read it again, so I’ll spare us both the trouble.

SEE ALSO: Burgess rejects Parramatta offer
But what’s constantly missed out on by the media is the good that clubs such as the Bulldogs do, and have been doing throughout both ‘scandals’.

One example is that of Nabeel Malik, who is a Bulldogs fan who had been diagnosed with a life threatening disease in late August. Understandably, Nabeel was struggling at the time.

He contacted Josh Jackson in the small hope that he might get a reply to cheer him up.

What Jackson did afterwards was above and beyond a simple reply.

He invited Nabeel to training leading up to their final game of the season, where he was able to meet all the players and grab some photo opportunities. Five-Eighth Josh Cleeland even wrote Nabeel’s name on his arm, dedicating his Round 25 game to him.

This is just one instance of Jackson’s positive actions.

In the days after the Napa videos were released, the negative media surrounding the club didn’t stop Jackson from getting out and making the fans happy.

Jackson and club great Terry Lamb paid a surprise visit to Trevor McCarren in hospital, who’d just been diagnosed with a severe cardiac issue.

Trevor has been a Canterbury supporter since birth, and has held Jackson as his favourite player for years, due to their shared selflessness and determined work ethic.

SEE ALSO: ‘Comparison’ is the ugliest word in rugby league
Patrina McCarren (a family member) wrote a letter of thanks to the club the following day, stating the following:

“On behalf of Trevor, and our family, I want to say a big thank you for making yesterday afternoon happen […] It is a memory our family will cherish, on a day that Trev was probably feeling at his lowest!”

Obviously, feel-good stories don’t sell papers. That always has been and always will be the case. The negative ‘crisis’ events will gain all the publicity, and portray the game in a much more dire state than it is.

But actions such as those of Josh Jacksonshow the nature of the vast majority of rugby league players, which is an encouraging thought as we endure what has been by far and away the most damaging off-season in the sport’s history.

It may only be two people, but the effects on Nabeel and Trevor have influenced many others throughout the rugby league world. Nabeel himself has since beaten the disease and is healthy again, whilst Trevor continues to battle on tirelessly.

These stories show the reality of our game, and the power it has. No matter how small the action, the effects it has can be literally, life-changing.
Nice one, thanks for the read. The Mighty BULLDOGS

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The strange thing is if you follow other sports. Say basketball for instance. It’s either their players are all squeaky clean and trained to be media savvy (highly doubt it) or the media knows that sports is big business. And is on the side of the players.

The worst you hear from the nba is a teams displeasure of a coach or team mate.

Don’t know why and it makes absolutely no sense why the media in Australia rips players and clubs apart. Like they are happy to do it.... at the end of the day if the game folds the media will have a lot of unfilled pages.

I agree what Hayne has done deserves criticism. What the sharks did also deserves the headlines.

But what a player did 4-5 years ago. It’s his own private business. Why would the media self prosecute? What players did on a mad Monday. Fair enough if there was complaints and people went to the media with photos. Then yes blast the club, fine them, suspend players. But when it’s a news papers agenda to find dirt.....

These aren’t media or news outlets anymore. They are gossip mags. Doubt any media outlet in America would survive operating like the telecrap and smh does. But it’s a shame to the game that they allow such treatment. Should have revoked all their press passes. But it’s a bit hard when it’s the newspapers cock that they have in their mouth.

I haven’t opened the telecraps webpage since mad Monday. I’m sure it makes no difference at all to their traffic. But I wasn’t going to support or fund those scum bags in any way shape or form. So I completely boycotted their paper and journalists, who drew out such a silly thing to the point where fines were handed down and a players career is looking bleak.

And funnily enough it’s the same journalists who cast rocks that probably have more baggage in the closet then 99% of the players in the league.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The strange thing is if you follow other sports. Say basketball for instance. It’s either their players are all squeaky clean and trained to be media savvy (highly doubt it) or the media knows that sports is big business. And is on the side of the players.
Potential NBA basketballers are identified at a very early age, middle school normally and get personal conduct and media training from then on. It grows a level in high school and then gets intense in college. All starters and most bench players have a personal media contact (handler) 24/7/365 and each franchise has a team of media people on staff. Above that the NBA itself has a media team that would populate a reasonable sized city. Combined they bombard the media outlets with many times more favourable content (written press releases, audio and video) than they could ever possibly read/watch/listen to let alone publish. The NBA is a media empire, a huge machine that churns out positive stories, posts, twits, etc at the rate of hundreds per day. There simply isn't the room for "negative" stories, when they do sneak through the net they simply get drowned out. Plus the press are basically lazy, why go chasing a story when you are being spoon fed hundreds of them each day, copy, paste, done.

The NRL is decades behind in their media handling.

Go Dogs

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Most players do good.. I don't believe in this nonsense players are trouble makers..

the bad apples are in the minority but the damn media focuses on them to make a dollar..

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Don't want to be negative but I think this is due to the players having a contractial obligation ,hence why zero tackle had photos and a news story