Movie Discussion

El Padrino

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Sounds like a drama/sports politics type of movie. What keeps it interesting if there's no sport involved?
Its based on the POV of a GM on the day of the draft picks. High pressure environment dealing with owner, players his own staff.

I dont want to give the away too much but its Like playing supercoach ....

#thepressureisreal

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Hitman

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0465494/

A gun-for-hire known only as Agent 47 hired by a group known only as 'The Organization' is ensnared in a political conspiracy, which finds him pursued by both Interpol and the Russian military as he treks across Russia and Eastern Europe.

Freaking LOVE this movie. I saw it in the cinemas and I saw it again yesterday. It's based on the video game series of the same name. Agent 47 is ruthless, calculating, resourceful, and as dangerous as they come. He never misses his target. This movie is MUCH better than the disappointing 2015 reboot of it which did not star Timothy Olyphant.

Also it must be said, in this movie, Olga Kurylenko was FREAKING fine! No wonder why she went on to become the next Bond girl after this movie in Quantum of Solace.

I watched the unrated version which was a little full-on.

9/10.

Nexus

Super Duper Ultimate Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Watched The Meg recently.

A huge steaming pile of shit. Story sucks ass and has some of the worse acting I have ever seen.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
So, with Mrs CD and CroydonPup away at the moment, I have enjoyed one of life's little pleasures - seeing a movie or two.

First one was Vice - a docodrama about former US VP Dick Cheney. It's made by the guys who did the Big Short, and not only has many of that's films cast in it, it is done in the same directorial style, which isn't for everyone.

Christian Bale goes through another one of his body transformations, putting on a lot of weight, and with hair and make up, covered Cheney from his 20s through to today. it takes us from his time as an intern in the white house, him working for Donald Rumsfeld (Steve Carrell), Chief of Staff for Bush Snr, and then he eventually is approached by Dubya (San Rockwell) to run as his VP. Cheney takes the VP role from a normally ceremonial one to one with real power - the vibe fo the film is that it really was him running the show.

I think you need to have a bit of interest and knowledge of the subject matter to appreciate the film. It is "liberal leaning" I suppose, in that the movie does portray Cheney as evil personified (brilliantly by Bale, i will add) - there is even a scene during the closing credits that takes the piss out of itself regarding this (really funny).

good performances also from Carrell, Amy Adams and Rockwell I note it has been nominated for a few Oscars, and probs fair enough. 8/10

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Then a few days later, i finally for to see Bohemian Rhapsody, which isn't a doco at all, its more of a story telling of the life of Freddy Mercury and Queen from 1970 when they all met, culminating in their now legendary performance at Live Aid in 1985.

Really, this is a film that should have failed. It went through about 3 or 4 directors, the lead actor changed, there was a lot of arguments about how the film should be done (i think Sasha Baron Cohen, the original actor hired wanted something much more gritty about Fredie, and the band wanted more about the band with a more PG feel). But, after something like 8 years, it just came together. Remi Malek has launched himself from being a cult star to the toast of Hollywood. There is also a small but significant role played by Mike Myers, one of those roles where, unless you know he's in the film, you may not have noticed it was him (think tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder). I thought Myers was an interesting casting, considering it was the release of Wayne's World, as well as Freddie's death only a months prior that catapulted Bohemian Rhapsody to the top of the charts, and introduced my generation to the band's music.

The firm main criticism people have of the film is the "historical inaccuracies". i won't go into them in detail here, but there are a few, and nobody is denying it. After all, people will find out. However, I don't think any of them are that big a deal, and none of them change the overall result, and i can see why some of them were done for dramatic effect.

The second main criticism people have seems to be that Freddie's gayness and hard core partying was glossed over a bit in order to make it more palatable. I don't agree here either. We knew Freddie was homosexual, who fucked a shitload of people, did heaps of drugs and got aids. I think that point came across with him necessary having full blown bum sex on the screen. There was nothing really hardcore during his relationship with Mary Austin either.

Like Vice, you probably should at least know and appreciate some of Queen's music. Pretty much everyone in the cinema was singing to themselves and tapping their feet. A lot of their songs are featured, from Killer Queen to Radio Gaga. Thumbs up from me - 8/10.

bulldogsfan_88

Left Right Out
2 x Gilded
Reaction score
Then a few days later, i finally for to see Bohemian Rhapsody, which isn't a doco at all, its more of a story telling of the life of Freddy Mercury and Queen from 1970 when they all met, culminating in their now legendary performance at Live Aid in 1985.

Really, this is a film that should have failed. It went through about 3 or 4 directors, the lead actor changed, there was a lot of arguments about how the film should be done (i think Sasha Baron Cohen, the original actor hired wanted something much more gritty about Fredie, and the band wanted more about the band with a more PG feel). But, after something like 8 years, it just came together. Remi Malek has launched himself from being a cult star to the toast of Hollywood. There is also a small but significant role played by Mike Myers, one of those roles where, unless you know he's in the film, you may not have noticed it was him (think tom Cruise in Tropic Thunder). I thought Myers was an interesting casting, considering it was the release of Wayne's World, as well as Freddie's death only a months prior that catapulted Bohemian Rhapsody to the top of the charts, and introduced my generation to the band's music.

The firm main criticism people have of the film is the "historical inaccuracies". i won't go into them in detail here, but there are a few, and nobody is denying it. After all, people will find out. However, I don't think any of them are that big a deal, and none of them change the overall result, and i can see why some of them were done for dramatic effect.

The second main criticism people have seems to be that Freddie's gayness and hard core partying was glossed over a bit in order to make it more palatable. I don't agree here either. We knew Freddie was homosexual, who fucked a shitload of people, did heaps of drugs and got aids. I think that point came across with him necessary having full blown bum sex on the screen. There was nothing really hardcore during his relationship with Mary Austin either.

Like Vice, you probably should at least know and appreciate some of Queen's music. Pretty much everyone in the cinema was singing to themselves and tapping their feet. A lot of their songs are featured, from Killer Queen to Radio Gaga. Thumbs up from me - 8/10.
Loved this movie and like you I was tapping my feet and singing the whole way through. I liked the way they did it to be honest. Like you said we all knew the life Freddie lived and didn’t need it thrust in our faces. I like that they didn’t it was done tastefully and I really enjoyed it!! In the end the historical inaccuracies weren’t enough to take away from what overall was a really good film.

One of my favourite movies of last year!! Big thumbs up and a 9/10 for me.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Watched two movies on the flight to the US.

KIN

Not a bad movie. Basically a kid finds a weird alien weapon then him and his step brother are on the run from a gang.

It's an OK movie. It never really explains anything well and some of the stuff is completely illogical but still a pretty fun movie to watch.

7/10

Also watched the new Predator. Not sure why I did. It felt like it was written by a 12 year old. Nothing made any sense.

2/10

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Apparently that movie "Can you Ever Forgive Me" with Melissa McCarthy and Richard E Grant is meant to be absolutely brilliant.

Partially based on the true story of a writer who gets behind in her bills so forges letters from famous writers to sell for profit, and eventually gets caught out.

Anyone seen it yet and is it worth the hype? I haven't liked a single McCarthy movie to date (generally detest things she is in because its all fart and poo jokes).

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Apparently that movie "Can you Ever Forgive Me" with Melissa McCarthy and Richard E Grant is meant to be absolutely brilliant.

Partially based on the true story of a writer who gets behind in her bills so forges letters from famous writers to sell for profit, and eventually gets caught out.

Anyone seen it yet and is it worth the hype? I haven't liked a single McCarthy movie to date (generally detest things she is in because its all fart and poo jokes).
Haven't seen it yet but it looks interesting. I think this further proves that she is not a good comedic actress.

south of heaven

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watched The Meg recently.

A huge steaming pile of shit. Story sucks ass and has some of the worse acting I have ever seen.
The preview told me all that i needed to know.
Watched the new Halloween meh offered nothing, could of been great if they altered a few things and strayed away from a predictable formula thats been done way to many times.