Opinion Our best 1-5 for 2019

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think he was dropped before the titans match but was put back in when B Moz’s missus went into labour. He was then dropped when B Moz came back in. That match before the Titans, I think it was against the dragons. It was the worst game in his career, he took on Duffy on the outside and got bundled into touch. We were coming back strong in that game up until then.
exactly correctly .. I'm pretty sure it was covered in the media also

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
People still twisting thing like always, Zzzzzzzz.

Valley Viking

Kennel Participant
Reaction score

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Montoya, Hoppa, Holland and Smith will all be in the backline Round 1. From memory Monty was only out of the side due to injury?

The only question mark will be who takes the remaining spot out of Crichton, a centre, Meaney, or Olive/Harper.

Although if Pay is to be believed, maybe trials will confirm the backline.
Hoppa will start at fullback
Ideally Pay would like 2x 195cm 105kg wingers Smith & Okunbor
Centres at present Holland & Crichton.
Montoya has been training strongly &,looks extremely athletic

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think he was dropped before the titans match but was put back in when B Moz’s missus went into labour. He was then dropped when B Moz came back in. That match before the Titans, I think it was against the dragons. It was the worst game in his career, he took on Duffy on the outside and got bundled into touch. We were coming back strong in that game up until then.
Spot on. Montoya cannot possibly be in the side for round 1 based on last years form. He needs to prove himself in our only trial against Canberra (and even if he played okay in that game), he should still spend a minimum of 6 weeks in ISP to get his mojo back. He was disgraceful for his entire season last year and selectors should have long memories.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Hoppa will start at fullback
Ideally Pay would like 2x 195cm 105kg wingers Smith & Okunbor
Centres at present Holland & Crichton.
Montoya has been training strongly &,looks extremely athletic
So R1 is likely to be:
1. Hoppa
2. Smith
3. Holland
4. Crichton
5. Montoya (and Okunbor if that fails)

???

Crichton has never played centre before... only ever wing.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So R1 is likely to be:
1. Hoppa
2. Smith
3. Holland
4. Crichton
5. Montoya (and Okunbor if that fails)

???

Crichton has never played centre before... only ever wing.
At this stage ideally we have very few centre options
Crichton has been training inside Okunbor as a combination-Ideally Crichton/Okunbor would add strength & speed to one corridor.
If Meaney continues to improve & we’re still struggling in the centres Hopoate will shift to the centres.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Crichton has been training inside Okunbor as a combination-Ideally Crichton/Okunbor would add strength & speed to one corridor.
If Meaney continues to improve & we’re still struggling in the centres Hopoate will shift to the centres.
Okunbor will get torn apart in first grade (in particular in defence) ... he's a season off in my opinion.
Meaney is ready but needs to be eased in.

I had heard a while back that Montoya was going to be in the centres alongside Holland.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Okunbor will get torn apart in first grade (in particular in defence) ... he's a season off in my opinion.
Meaney is ready but needs to be eased in.

I had heard a while back that Montoya was going to be in the centres alongside Holland.
I agree Okunbor was very poor defensively last season not dissimilar to Reimis Smith in ISP before getting a go in nRL.
Please don’t mention Montoya when the conversation is defence he’s the defensive decision maker in the Clivb, he has been training in the centres with no prior experience- he was a fullback & winger coming through the grades

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Must have been hard for Montoya when he had a defensive liability inside him.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Must have been hard for Montoya when he had a defensive liability inside him.
Regardless of the poor communication from the centre inside him, a half decent winger would at least show his opponent the sideline- unfortunately Montoya is the most proficient impersonation of a turnstile in the NRL. His poor defensive reads & technique can’t be blamed on his inside defender- I hope he improves

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Regardless of the poor communication from the centre inside him, a half decent winger would at least show his opponent the sideline- unfortunately Montoya is the most proficient impersonation of a turnstile in the NRL. His poor defensive reads & technique can’t be blamed on his inside defender- I hope he improves
Somewhat agree. However it is very difficult for a winger when his centre partner is targeted by the opposition, because of his poor defence.
He has little option to leave his wing and assist wherever he can. That leaves the wing area open.
The answer to this is very simple. Get a centre who can make tackles.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Somewhat agree. However it is very difficult for a winger when his centre partner is targeted by the opposition, because of his poor defence.
He has little option to leave his wing and assist wherever he can. That leaves the wing area open.
The answer to this is very simple. Get a centre who can make tackles.
And therein lies our problem- we don’t have an experienced centre left or right I’m wishing Jmoz’s defensive efforts aren’t missed this season

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
And therein lies our problem- we don’t have an experienced centre left or right I’m wishing Jmoz’s defensive efforts aren’t missed this season
This is the main reason I have been promoting CHN as a centre. He will block that side off and the winger can do his job. He can attack as well.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Crichton / Okunbor combo is intriguing. Ideally in the modern you want a winger with height. Crichton lacks this and given he only scored 4 tries from 20 matches on the end of a good panthers team is a concern. Crichton to centre could work. Physically he has the attributes but not sure how quick he is between the ears yet.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Okunbor is a bit of an enigma. He has flashes of skill, but then goes to sleep for a fair part of the game.
Seeing he does this in ISP, doesnt bode well for any elevation to First Grade.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Crichton / Okunbor combo is intriguing. Ideally in the modern you want a winger with height. Crichton lacks this and given he only scored 4 tries from 20 matches on the end of a good panthers team is a concern. Crichton to centre could work. Physically he has the attributes but not sure how quick he is between the ears yet.
Pay has been training/trialling Okunbor on the wing & Crichton inside him in the centres-agree jury’s out on his football smarts
Okunbor has been rocks or diamonds in ISP

Last edited:

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
This is the main reason I have been promoting CHN as a centre. He will block that side off and the winger can do his job. He can attack as well.
How do you know he will block that side off? He isn’t the best defender at 2nd row and moving him out into the hardest place to defend is a fraught with danger. Does he have the speed, agility or decision making to defend there?

MasterP

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
1. Nick Meaney
2. Christian Crichton
3. Will Hopaote
4. Kerrod Holland
5. Reimis Smith

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
To my way of thinking only Hoppa Holland and Smith walk into the backline. From what I've seen of Meaney I'd like to see him get first dibs on the fullback role. Lots of potential but needs the chance to live up to it. Montoya was great in 2017 but lost form last year. Deserves the chance to get his form back. Our other options should come down to training and trial form. The backline can be good if our halves give them chances in broken play. I expect Pay will need to experiment with 1-5