News Beastwood signs with Newtown

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
The Newtown Rugby League Football Club is pleased to announce that Greg Eastwood has signed with the Jets for the 2019 season.

Greg is a very experienced prop, second-rower and lock who has previously played with the Brisbane Broncos, Canterbury Bulldogs and Leeds Rhinos. In all he has played 263 NRL matches between 2005 and 2018, including NRL grand finals in 2012 and 2014. He has also played 21 Super League matches with Leeds.

He has also had a highly successful international rugby league career with the New Zealand Kiwis, playing 28 internationals between 2007 and 2016, including a World Cup victory in 2008 and Four Nations tournament triumphs in 2010 and 2014.

Eastwood was a key player in Canterbury’s narrow 18-12 win over Newtown in the 2018 Intrust Super Premiership NSW grand final, after which he played for the Bulldogs in their 2018 NRL State Championship 42-18 victory against Redcliffe.

Newtown Jets Director and long-term financial benefactor Terry Rowney says that Eastwood’s signing will be of enormous benefit to Newtown’s young playing group. Mr Rowney added that Greg’s big match experience, leadership qualities and personable manner will bring out the best of Newtown’s squad, many of whom are players not long out of the Jersey Flegg (under 20s) ranks.

http://www.newtownjets.com/the-newtown-jets-make-a-major-signing-for-2019/

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Good stuff. Will be tremendous for them. Wouldn't surprise if Cronulla snap promote him mid season as Origin cover.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
We should still have him in the blue V
Yeah well he should of went out a Bulldog, must still wanna play a bit of footy, surely he must be sick of training.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I wish him the best of luck with this. I think he'll make a great mentor for a young squad.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Good stuff. Will be tremendous for them. Wouldn't surprise if Cronulla snap promote him mid season as Origin cover.
Wouldn't he be a NSW Cup not NRL contract? The way the Sharts are going, Newtown might have a fair crack at coming back into the big league in a year or two :D

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Good old beast.. great bloke and will definitely miss him, he was bloody loyal too the doggs for a long time and should of finished out in the blue and white!! Oh well never mind and all the best to him.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Wouldn't he be a NSW Cup not NRL contract? The way the Sharts are going, Newtown might have a fair crack at coming back into the big league in a year or two :D
If they have open roster spot/rep injury dispensation then bam you need a forward you have a former international right there ready to come off the bench.

Chrisaaar

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
As a regular to jets games I’m looking forward to seeing the beast still in operation. Still hope he gets a job at Canterbury when he retires.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Doesn't he have some sort of health condition? I honestly thought he retired.

Matilida

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
either way he was not worth $800,000 he was on for us last year.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
If they have open roster spot/rep injury dispensation then bam you need a forward you have a former international right there ready to come off the bench.
I thought you could sign a player to NSW Cup, without having their contract lodged with the NRL? Hence why John Hopoate was still able to play league.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
I thought you could sign a player to NSW Cup, without having their contract lodged with the NRL? Hence why John Hopoate was still able to play league.
I think you're getting confused.

He has an NSWRL contract with Newtown. If Cronulla had an open spot for whatever reason on their roster then there would be nothing stopping them or any other club offering him a top 30 spot for the remainder of the year prior to June 30.