2019 position breakdown: Backrow

Artybulldog 26

Kennel Established
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
Reaction score
Josh Jackson:

Jackson was Mr Consistency throughout the 2018 season.

Taking on the captaincy for the first time, he led from the front in both his attitude to training and performances on the field.

Respected by his team mates and opponents alike, he continues to embody what it means to be a Bulldog.

Jackson finished the season with 3 tries, 16 offloads, 829 tackles, 2259 running metres and a tackle efficiency of 89.6% from 24 matches.

Adam Elliott:

Elliott is the ultimate competitor.

One of only three Bulldogs players that played every game for the club in 2018, he spent 17 of those in the number 13 jersey.

The hard-running forward from Tathra played his 50th NRL game for the club last season and scored four tries.

The 24-year old made 583 tackles, averaged 77.8 running metres and 44 minutes per game from his 24 appearances in 2018.

A player who wears his heart on his sleeve.

Corey Harawira-Naera:

Harawira-Naera arrived at Belmore from the Penrith Panthers on a four year contract until the end of 2022.

The talented 23-year old, who was born in New Zealand, made his NRL debut for the Panthers in 2017, scoring a try in his first match against Newcastle.

The Kiwi played 46 games, scoring 13 tries over the past two seasons and claimed Penrith's 2017 Rookie of the Year award along the way.

During 2018, he made 513 tackles, scored six tries, provided 22 offloads, 42 tackle breaks and had a tackle efficiency of 86.5%.

The addition of Corey to the squad will add both quality and strength to the club's forward pack for next season and beyond.

Raymond Faitala-Mariner:

2019 will be Faitala-Mariner's fourth season with the club and he extended his contract at the beginning of the 2018 season for a further year.

The back-rower managed 13 appearances in 2018 before suffering a PCL knee injury and a broken hand while playing for New Zealand in their defeat to England in the Denver Test. That injury ruled him out for the remainder of the season.

The hard-running 25-year old second rower started in all 13 matches and provided plenty of impact with his aggressive running style and ability to offload.

The Kiwi International provided 23 offloads, averaged 77.8 running metres and 26 tackles per game, came up with 39 tackle breaks and had a tackle efficiency of 90% last year.

Faitala-Mariner has made a successful recovery and has hit the ground running over the summer.

Rhyse Martin:

Martin was a real find in 2018 and played 14 NRL games for the club, including a memorable first touch on debut against the Brisbane Broncos where he scored a try and bagged a hat-trick against the Canberra Raiders at Belmore Sports Ground.

The goal-kicking back rower kicked 36 goals from 38 attempts last year at 94.7%, while also scoring four tries.

The 25-year old averaged 105.3 running metres and 32 tackles per game, as well as 26 tackle breaks and a tackle efficiency of 87.7% from his 14 appearances.

Martin also captained the Bulldogs Intrust Super Premiership team to their premiership win and National State Championship victory.

Chris Smith:

Born in Darwin, Smith played his junior rugby league for the Nightcliff Dragons and arrived at Belmore midway through the 2018 season after moving from the Sydney Roosters where he spent two seasons.

The hard-running backrower played only one NRL game last year against the Brisbane Broncos in round 21 and was a member of the club's successful Intrust Super Premiership team.

The 24-year old averaged 91.2 running metres and 31 tackles, as well as a tackle efficiency of 91.2% in the ISP in 2018.

Smith offers plenty of depth and competition as part of the club's backrow stocks.

There is alpt of depth in the backrow.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reaction score
At least we have depth for representive time when Jacko, Corey and RFM are selected for there state or country

Malla

Reaction score
Our backrow is easily one of the best in the comp. Just need guys like Elliot and RFH playing consistent footy.

S.B.W_Jnr

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
5 of them 6 will be in the top 17

My line up

11. Rys Martin
12. Josh Jackson
13. Adam Elliott

14.marshall King??
15. Ogden/To'omaga
16. Raymond FM
17. Corey HN

What an impact bench that would be

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Literally everyone deserves a shot or spot in the 17. Definitely have plenty of depth and will be a head ache who comes in.

No disrespect to Martin but with so many gun back rowers in the squad it’s hard to fit him in and get him big mins.

Shame we have 6 back rowers and no hookers :p lol

Anyways will make the trials interesting. You’d think RFM. And Jacko start (being rep players). And Elliot wouldn’t be left out you’d think (I’d rather one of the others with impact getting the start, but he is a favourite at the club).

But yeh. You’d think they’d all get their chance throughout the year with injuries and that. But players like smith would be handy just for his aggression. Then doubt CHN would sign on for 4 years without a major role for him with in the team.

Honestly 6 into 4 will be hard to do. And I doubt Jacko would take much time out of the game. So mins will be limited. But exciting to see how the pack goes :grinning: all the fairies and princesses are gone so should be entertaining to watch some defence and aggression for a change :grinning:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Literally everyone deserves a shot or spot in the 17. Definitely have plenty of depth and will be a head ache who comes in.

No disrespect to Martin but with so many gun back rowers in the squad it’s hard to fit him in and get him big mins.

Shame we have 6 back rowers and no hookers :p lol

Anyways will make the trials interesting. You’d think RFM. And Jacko start (being rep players). And Elliot wouldn’t be left out you’d think (I’d rather one of the others with impact getting the start, but he is a favourite at the club).

But yeh. You’d think they’d all get their chance throughout the year with injuries and that. But players like smith would be handy just for his aggression. Then doubt CHN would sign on for 4 years without a major role for him with in the team.

Honestly 6 into 4 will be hard to do. And I doubt Jacko would take much time out of the game. So mins will be limited. But exciting to see how the pack goes :grinning: all the fairies and princesses are gone so should be entertaining to watch some defence and aggression for a change :grinning:
Pay will probs pick the worst starting backrow combo and then play two of them off the bench with 1 prop and a utility lol. Tolman will then get 70+ minutes while we rotate our edges and have them playing 40 odd ffs.

In all seriousness, surely Jackson is starting lock next season? CHN is a right sided player and has struggled when playing anywhere but there. RFM is also more suited to the right edge though he did a great job on the left edge. Martin seems fine either side though has spent more time on the right.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
5 of them 6 will be in the top 17

My line up

11. Rys Martin
12. Josh Jackson
13. Adam Elliott

14.marshall King??
15. Ogden/To'omaga
16. Raymond FM
17. Corey HN

What an impact bench that would be
So 1 prop off the bench while also starting the likes of Tolman and Elliott who can't dent a set defensive line to save their lives? Napa also a average ball runner...can't see us doing well with this lineup imo.

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So 1 prop off the bench while also starting the likes of Tolman and Elliott who can't dent a set defensive line to save their lives? Napa also a average ball runner...can't see us doing well with this lineup imo.
Yeah i think people need to accept that martin or elliot will be playing isp until injuries kick in. U would think ogden and danny will make the bench. While giving toomaga more first grade in patches during season. Imo elliot will be only backrower on bench. Is martin better than elliot ? Rfm, chn and jj will start.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yeah i think people need to accept that martin or elliot will be playing isp until injuries kick in. U would think ogden and danny will make the bench. While giving toomaga more first grade in patches during season. Imo elliot will be only backrower on bench. Is martin better than elliot ? Rfm, chn and jj will start.
If Martin keeps kicking in the 90s then I think you would be crazy to leave him out, those extra points could be the difference from us winning and losing tight games. Martin's anticipation is also very good imo and he started to form a strong combo with Lewis towards the end of the year.

Pay won't select Martin unless he's forced into selecting him like last season. Don't think Pay rates him as he doesn't suit his mould and I think it's as simple as that with Pay. Surprised he signed on with us again as he probably could've got a better go at the Tigers or Rabbits.

I think Pay will start with RFM and Jackson on the edges with Elliott at lock. He has a hard on for Elliott who like I said can't dent a set defensive line to save his life, but hopefully that changes this season with his added size. To me this looks like our least effective backrow combination, especially when you consider our starting props in Tolman and Napa. Better hope we're fit as fuck and are running some strong lines otherwise I think it will be easy for the opposition to got ontop of us early on.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If Martin keeps kicking in the 90s then I think you would be crazy to leave him out, those extra points could be the difference from us winning and losing tight games. Martin's anticipation is also very good imo and he started to form a strong combo with Lewis towards the end of the year.

Pay won't select Martin unless he's forced into selecting him like last season. Don't think Pay rates him as he doesn't suit his mould and I think it's as simple as that with Pay. Surprised he signed on with us again as he probably could've got a better go at the Tigers or Rabbits.

I think Pay will start with RFM and Jackson on the edges with Elliott at lock. He has a hard on for Elliott who like I said can't dent a set defensive line to save his life, but hopefully that changes this season with his added size. To me this looks like our least effective backrow combination, especially when you consider our starting props in Tolman and Napa. Better hope we're fit as fuck and are running some strong lines otherwise I think it will be easy for the opposition to got ontop of us early on.
Yeh gotta agree with Marley. Tolman is a rock but if you need hard hards he can’t really bend the line. Honest worker and should be a 170m 35 tackle player this year. That’s why I feel Smith and Ogden are needed. Someone that has the aggression to carry 2-3 players and keep the legs pumping.

It was a godsend to get rid of Aaron woods. And we are lucky to have tolman and fingers crossed he is injury free. How the rest of the pieces fit around him though. We do need a few nutters in the pack. What I would give for a robbo

But back row is definitely not a weakness for us. More so if we play Martin for his goal kicking we will miss out on a more accomplished player starting. If rfm can get back to full fitness and form we should have a decent pack. And the way the game is played now the 195cm+ 130kg+ prop is almost extinct.

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score

Nat Fab. Totally agree about Elliot. 2017 the kennel wanted him dropped to C grade. First 5 rounds of 2018, nothing changed. He got tapped on the shoulder and had a blinder in R6 against Nth Qld. Blinder in that we noticed him more. In attack and defence, he is ineffectual. The game against Parra we lost (R16 or 17) he took 4 hit ups in his first 20 minutes and got absolutely raped by Tim '20 minutes' Mannah and Daniel 'the stay puff donut' Alvaro. His defence is no better, he is just busy and enthusiastic. Pay loves him because he is from the bush and he is keen, like he was. However, Pay was a hard nut who could crunch in defence, never took a backward step and could slip a pass. Elliot can't do any of those things. So as i said in a previous post, Pay must stop playing favourites and pick on form. That means Elliot, Montoya and Marshall King must earn their spots. I am a Chris Smith fan and would pick him ahead of Elliot, just on potential.

Paulie Gualtieri

Previously Shrimp
Reaction score
Elliot will be in the squad without a doubt but he shouldn’t. 77m’s a game, wtf is that. Plus he doesn’t even look threatening with the ball in hand. No ball playing ability, no offload, no footwork, gets dominated when he takes the ball up. Sure he has heart and sometimes stings in defence but man this guy is in our leadership role for our forwards.......god help me. I hope you absolutely make me eat my words this year Adam.

BulldogsNRL

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Swap Dallin and Hoppa around so we can get the beet of hoppa out and hopefully get dallin more involved by putting him on a edge!!