The Consolidated Cricket Thread

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
We need a few more Cummins in the side. Best bowler and batsman for Australia in this test. Can u imagine if we can get the 140 odd needed to win tomorrow, that would make Kholi cry, and id love to see that. To declare twice in 1 match and lose...oh the lols we could have.

But yeh, a bit unlikely Day 5 on this pitch.
It would smash pretty much every record out there, but it would be bloody entertaining to see them at least go close.

Even just frustrating the bowlers to lunch tomorrow would make my day.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
And then we saw Cummins play actual, orthodox, textbook shots. And Lyon defending like a batsman trying to save a test bloody well should...
Yeah exactly. Something is just failing at a systemic level in cricket out here, our first drop batsmen is getting advised and is playing reverse sweeps in test match cricket to overcome his short comings with spin bowling.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Our current top 6 the worst top 6 of all time surely

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
If no aussie batsmen scores a century in the last test at sydney, it will be the first time in 136 years that no aussie batsmen has scored a 100 in a 4(or 5) game series.
Wow thats not a good record to have,i blame usman and shaun marsh they are our best 2 the others are fill ins ,i also dont rate langer as coach

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Wow thats not a good record to have,i blame usman and shaun marsh they are our best 2 the others are fill ins ,i also dont rate langer as coach
haha yeah it is pretty bad. I don't know what to make of langer yet, i think we have a big problem in our whole coaching structure or systems dating back to before him, our batting has been poor for quite some time, just before we had smith and warner in the team, in particular if you look at both of those guys records on our pitches, it is a big chunk to take out (i'm sure both average over 60 out here). Smith in particular been the captain and his ridiculous run of big scores seemed to get more out of the guys batting with him, forming partnerships etc.

*edit*
Yep you are right about usman and s marsh, these are the senior batters and they really needed to stand up this series.

Last edited:

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Also @doggieaaron another big problem i think is the BBL, well actually not so much the BBL itself but rather the timing of it. The sheffield shield just stops and is put on hold, so all the state players have no way to continue playing the long form of the game and show off any form etc, all they get is the BBL which means nothing for test match form.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
None of the batters have done the hard yards to play test cricket except Usman and he’s having a tough series.
Finch has never opened in shield cricket yet we open in the tests with him. Makes sense
Shaun Marsh is fit so they pick him. Avgs 35 in test cricket after nearly 40 tests is not good despite how pleasing on the eye he is when batting.
Head pushed into shield cricket as a 17 year old never had to score bulk runs to make a team avgs around 35 in shield cricket which isn’t good. Picked on potential all his life so this is to be expected.
Harris made plenty of starts in his first class career made 250 in shield this season so he’s been picked. He’s looked probably the best bat this series but doesn’t go on with it after doing the hard yards. Avg around 35 in shield which isn’t good.
Mitch Marsh wishes he could get to Shane Watson’s avgs in test cricket. Despite his potential needs to go into the cricket wilderness. Over 30 tests and still produces this crap with the bat. No substance.

The system that’s been created allows potential to rise to the top with the bat. They don’t have to battle to get to the top so when pressure is being applied they don’t have the mental substance to withstand it. Gone are the days when players scored a lot of runs at grade level then were rewarded with a shield contract and then the guys who scored a lot of shield runs were rewarded with a test cap. That system worked for well over a century now we reward kids who have just a hundred first grade runs with a shield contract. That’s stupidity at its finest.
The selectors should be taking a lot of blame as well. They keep picking underperformers with the bat. And this is the crap the whole nation gets to watch disappoint us time and again we’ll im sick of it.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
None of the batters have done the hard yards to play test cricket except Usman and he’s having a tough series.
Finch has never opened in shield cricket yet we open in the tests with him. Makes sense
Shaun Marsh is fit so they pick him. Avgs 35 in test cricket after nearly 40 tests is not good despite how pleasing on the eye he is when batting.
Head pushed into shield cricket as a 17 year old never had to score bulk runs to make a team avgs around 35 in shield cricket which isn’t good. Picked on potential all his life so this is to be expected.
Harris made plenty of starts in his first class career made 250 in shield this season so he’s been picked. He’s looked probably the best bat this series but doesn’t go on with it after doing the hard yards. Avg around 35 in shield which isn’t good.
Mitch Marsh wishes he could get to Shane Watson’s avgs in test cricket. Despite his potential needs to go into the cricket wilderness. Over 30 tests and still produces this crap with the bat. No substance.

The system that’s been created allows potential to rise to the top with the bat. They don’t have to battle to get to the top so when pressure is being applied they don’t have the mental substance to withstand it. Gone are the days when players scored a lot of runs at grade level then were rewarded with a shield contract and then the guys who scored a lot of shield runs were rewarded with a test cap. That system worked for well over a century now we reward kids who have just a hundred first grade runs with a shield contract. That’s stupidity at its finest.
The selectors should be taking a lot of blame as well. They keep picking underperformers with the bat. And this is the crap the whole nation gets to watch disappoint us time and again we’ll im sick of it.
The selectors are jokers, ca are jokers
Your spot on bud

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Also @doggieaaron another big problem i think is the BBL, well actually not so much the BBL itself but rather the timing of it. The sheffield shield just stops and is put on hold, so all the state players have no way to continue playing the long form of the game and show off any form etc, all they get is the BBL which means nothing for test match form.
100% agree

Hansta

Im Bain's Boss!
Reaction score
You take out pujara and kohli and India fold like a pack of cards, just like taking out smith and Warner has done.

India can gloat all the want, but theyve lost the series in South Africa and england this year and would have also against Australia if they had their best batsmen in.

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
New icc rankings are out, in the bowling cummins moves way up to 3rd but lyon and Hazlewood slip out of the top 10 , starc is way down in 18th now. Certainly shows batting is not our only problem, just they are so bad it is easy to forget about our bowling.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
New icc rankings are out, in the bowling cummins moves way up to 3rd but lyon and Hazlewood slip out of the top 10 , starc is way down in 18th now. Certainly shows batting is not our only problem, just they are so bad it is easy to forget about our bowling.
India have only made 400 once in the series. You would take that against the top team in the world wouldn’t you?

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
India have only made 400 once in the series. You would take that against the top team in the world wouldn’t you?
I don't think we have bowled terrible this series, let's not forget though, india are a completely different team when you take them away from the dust bowls back home, good reason they have never won down here. We did also play more than one series last year as well.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I’m just saying our bowlers restrict the opposition to more often then not good totals for us. Just our batting is so poor we never take advantage of it. The bowling unit is a group effort and these guys seem to share the wickets more often then not hence why we had 4 in the top 15 bowlers in the rankings before this test. No other nation had more then 2.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Our current top 6 the worst top 6 of all time surely
Problem is, nobody is knocking the door down at state level at the moment (not helped by the only cricket currently being played at domestic level is t20).

Having said that, those of us old enough to remember the Kim Hughes and Allan Border days will remember what it was like to have an ordinary side.

chisdog

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

I am with you up until the selectors bit. It's a bit hard to select a decent team without Smith & Warner & quality lacking in the Shield. Reasons I blame include:

- drop in pitches - they don't deteriorate as much as standard ones
- BBL - having no first class cricket on when the tests are on is an abomination. How can players put pressure on the test team? How can replacements come into the team when some aren't even playing BBL? The BBL also seems to be affecting players' styles/temperament.
- Having the second tier below Shield limited to U23s is dumb! You need older heads to guide the younger ones. The older guys are needed to put pressure on those above.
- Not allowing Test players to come back to Shield lowers the standard of the competition.
- Sports science seems mostly to be about justifying people's jobs than getting the best out of players. There are plenty of players who are best served by continuing to play rather than rests all the time. Glenn McGrath & DK are two who thrived on workload
- Telling players like Glenn Maxwell not to play in the County circuit to save him from ware & tear is dumb. Plenty of players in the past benefitted from playing there. Why not send some to play first class cricket in the sub-continent too?
- Media - just like in the NRL the media have their agendas & the idiots in admin are too scared to go against them. The funny thing is when the selectors go with what the media suggest, they get lambasted by the very same people who suggested the selections in the first place.

Administrations are making these dumb decisions (NRL admin does stupid things too). Who gives these people the diplomas? They need to be looked at too because they are ruining sport in this country.

end rant.

GA45

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I am with you up until the selectors bit. It's a bit hard to select a decent team without Smith & Warner & quality lacking in the Shield. Reasons I blame include:

- drop in pitches - they don't deteriorate as much as standard ones
- BBL - having no first class cricket on when the tests are on is an abomination. How can players put pressure on the test team? How can replacements come into the team when some aren't even playing BBL? The BBL also seems to be affecting players' styles/temperament.
- Having the second tier below Shield limited to U23s is dumb! You need older heads to guide the younger ones. The older guys are needed to put pressure on those above.
- Not allowing Test players to come back to Shield lowers the standard of the competition.
- Sports science seems mostly to be about justifying people's jobs than getting the best out of players. There are plenty of players who are best served by continuing to play rather than rests all the time. Glenn McGrath & DK are two who thrived on workload
- Telling players like Glenn Maxwell not to play in the County circuit to save him from ware & tear is dumb. Plenty of players in the past benefitted from playing there. Why not send some to play first class cricket in the sub-continent too?
- Media - just like in the NRL the media have their agendas & the idiots in admin are too scared to go against them. The funny thing is when the selectors go with what the media suggest, they get lambasted by the very same people who suggested the selections in the first place.

Administrations are making these dumb decisions (NRL admin does stupid things too). Who gives these people the diplomas? They need to be looked at too because they are ruining sport in this country.

end rant.
Didn’t you just pin the selectors as well?

I think we are both frustrated with dumb decisions being made. I was talking to an ex administrator of nsw cricket in the 90’s through the 00’s. He said there was around 20 people in the office back then. When he was moved on within 2 seasons there was 55. He said he would hate to think how many were there today as when he was there he didn’t know what half the 20 did to justify their jobs. These are the people that are mainly responsible for ruining cricket in my eyes. They make it too soft.

The bloke who did the study on workloads for limiting kids bowling etc 16 year old bowling 6 overs in a spell etc doesn’t even think it’s what cricket should be doing !!! The best kids will rise to the top as they play men at every level who will test them in the old days. Now with pathways they don’t need to do anything at grade level to make near the top. They just need potential...

I’m frustrated with cricket I love the sport I have played with guys who have made the top level and I do a lot of volunteering at local level but watching our test team is painful.