Opal Tower Crumbling

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Blacktown westpoint's multi-storey parking has concrete cancer, apparently it's a 3 year job to fix.
Is concrete cancer even repairable? I remember Enterprise House in Parramatta had concrete cancer and was condemned - leveled.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
It's not 13 that's bad for Chinese culture, it's the number "4" that they avoid in Chinese culture, because it's the same word as DEATH.

Hence 4th floor, and 14th floor doesn't exist in Chinese built buildings (even if the owners aren't Chinese).

The builders of Opal were Japanese apparently.

Is concrete cancer even repairable? I remember Enterprise House in Parramatta had concrete cancer and was condemned - leveled.

Yeah it can be ... sometimes.

Smartseal

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
A leb builder told me he is a shonky

He agreed there is three standards...

Completely Shit job, somewhat shit job and i know you so ill do it properly.
Well that's a great FUKIN attitude to run a successful business.
WTF happened to doing a good job for the sake of pride in your work.
No wonder there are so many remedial repair jobs out there & I'm making a killing

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
This is what happens when most builders are probably employed through some Labor Hire agencies (don’t get me started on those judgemental bastards) and got shit training which wouldn’t surprise me at all.

One of my cousins is currently doing Engineering (or should I say Engibeering) at Uni and he’s pretty much in a game of spot the Aussie as he’s in the non-Chinese minority

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-four-floors-Sydneys-troubled-Opal-Tower.html

Ouch .. and whilst hardly the most reliable source.. still not good at all.

Just demolish it and start again... bandaid fixes are not going to help resale values at all.

I reckon the building footings aren't down the right depth, or that the land wasn't compacted rigth before they've built, and the entire thing has shifted under movement.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
Get a greek builder ahhh i see its a fuck , needs more concrete
Lol. Yeh if a Greek had built it, they wouldnt have had issues with the garden areas cracking coz there would be none. Just more concrete. And it would stand for about 2000 years.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A leb builder told me he is a shonky bastard.. not a bad builder but trying to extract every bit of profit out means cuttin corners.

But if he knows you, if you pay him a fair price, he will go slow and get it absolutely perfect.

He agreed there is three standards...

Completely Shit job, somewhat shit job and i know you so ill do it properly.
I am saying that is complete bullshit.

If it was told to you, you would have made an entire thread about it.

Wahesh

Reaction score

2 days into the new year and I am finding I already agree with you my broette. You know Kaz... I think you and I are going to get along juuust fine in 2019 8-)

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

Awww leave Blue Boost alone... he's been very well behaved these days after a talking to.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I think you and I are going to get along juuust fine in 2019
That we will, except when the war starts in Round 18 & 25, unless you are joining the winning side Broncos. :tonguewink:

Wahesh

Reaction score
That we will, except when the war starts in Round 18 & 25, unless you are joining the winning side Broncos. :tonguewink:
I'll be on the winning side my friend.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/ar...-four-floors-Sydneys-troubled-Opal-Tower.html

Ouch .. and whilst hardly the most reliable source.. still not good at all.

Just demolish it and start again... bandaid fixes are not going to help resale values at all.

I reckon the building footings aren't down the right depth, or that the land wasn't compacted rigth before they've built, and the entire thing has shifted under movement.
The source is obviously making wrong assumptions with the "Engineers frantically search for the source"

We walked past the tower last night. They have a few fences around the base of the tower but there's security and builders working in there. If they didn't know what the problem was then they wouldn't risk having people in there.

Apparently they are planning to strip out a few apartments to fix them up (not entire floors) with plans to be finished in the next few days.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
The source is obviously making wrong assumptions with the "Engineers frantically search for the source"

We walked past the tower last night. They have a few fences around the base of the tower but there's security and builders working in there. If they didn't know what the problem was then they wouldn't risk having people in there.

Apparently they are planning to strip out a few apartments to fix them up (not entire floors) with plans to be finished in the next few days.
So it's fake news? As if the media would over-exaggerate?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
From the word of mouth of a resident "We have been told it'll be at a week or more until we are able to go back home, as they still don't know the issue".

They are being put up in hotels in the area and given $100 Meal vouchers each day for corresponding hotels, and are booked in till at LEAST the 7th, with an open booking thereafter.

Blue_boost

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

All good, i was told what i was told.

Go buy at gledswood hills, oran park, harrington grove. Suit yourself

Indiandog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
so have they found the molten metal yet?

Rockford

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Jet fuel doesn't melt steel beams... :innocent: