Missing out on the top 8 will not be a failure

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I hope the boys do not have this mentality, i.e not making the 8 is not a failure. It fucking is. FMD, have we become the Tigers?? The basis of all competitive teams is belief. If they dont believe, they might as well get on all 4s and say 'give it to me harder'. I believe/hope Pay is instilling this belief and culture but only time will tell. In saying this, he must stop playing favourites and select on form. Go the Dogs (and hurry up footy season).

From what I am told by friends who have been down to training, the guys look really good and really competitive... they are working extremely hard... They will be going into every game with high expectations..... we can be assured of that

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Missing the finals for the 3rd year in a row would be a failure to me.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are an nrl team however we are severely hamstrung by idiotic decisions of incompetent scum since departed. That being said I think we have a squad that, if cohesive, can certainly place 9th to 12th. Any higher would be a compliment to coaching. I too agree that we don't just passively allow a mediocre finish so our goal should always be top 8 minimum for 2019.

nangsta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Surely things arent that bad that we cant be expecting some chance at finals?

If Pay can get us to improve on 2018 we will be pushing for the 8 at least.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not expecting to see us sweep the competition away next season. But if we're not in or close to the top 8 I will be a bit disappointed. I expect Bulldogs sides to compete regardless of the team we're able to field.

A lot of things can make next year better than expected or a hard year for fans to endure. Our depth doesn't look great. But our young squad will all know that next year we will have a better chance to pick up a quality replacement for 2020 if they don't perform adequately. Aside from that I think that many of the players within the top 30 or the development players we choose will know that impressing this year will give them a great chance to establish themselves in the NRL instead of us needing to buy more talent in their positions. With the new restrictions to NRL promotion it has to be a big incentive to step up when you have the chance. So taking their opportunities should be enough incentive for youngsters to impress in any way they can. Opportunity won't knock repeatedly for players under this restricted promotion system. The added youth in our roster can also help to snap the side out of their win by percentages mode that Hasler favored. And a side with a lot of youth will be harder to prepare for since opposing coaches won't know exactly what to expect. If the team throws everything they have into every game we could go a long way.

I personally think we've altered the squad in a way that will allow us to at least strive for middle of the pack (top 8 finish). A fullback who offers support play will be a big benefit and Meaney seems to offer that. And if Cogger gets his chance I think he'll emerge as a decent general directing the play. Forans may or may not last the season, but I think that Cogger and Lewis might be capable of producing more in playmaking terms than we've seen in a while. So many people have jumped to the conclusion that because we didn't pick up established stars in the spine we won't compete. During the golden era of the club we've done very well with picking up players that didn't stand out regularly and getting them to play out of their skins. We used to thrive on picking the eyes out of off contract players that weren't highly rated. We also relied on having strong juniors. Our junior ranks aren't as great as they once were, but I think we've probably picked up some good youngsters. How good remains to be seen and with some self belief and the right attitude the squad could be a real surprise packet. I think that our recent staff additions have the ability to have planned things well and that will only be proven by how well our new recruits perform. I choose to remain hopeful that they've done well.

I'm not going to slit my wrists if the side doesn't step up. We're in the early stages of a rebuild. But typically we've seen the team do well when they're highly under-rated. I hope we go back to that tradition and take some good wins in the early rounds. If we can make a few teams nervous about facing us all while boosting the confidence of our youngsters we might surprise our biggest skeptics. Obviously things might not go as I hope, but I won't write 2019 off as a year where we're just developing youngsters for 2020 until I see what the team is capable of.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
No, but our backline is one of the worst in the comp.

If Pay goes then your man Georgallis goes with him, for he will be just as culpable.
Doesn't matter. Our roster isn't ideal but it's not like there's a stack of high quality NRL teams in the comp ATM. Our forward pack is stacked with more than enough ability to have us competing in most games.

habs

xdf
Staff member
Administrator
Gilded
Reaction score
Its easier to defend than score tries. I’m happy to see us improve in the defence department for a start. The points will come when we have big strong tackle busting backs not slowpokes like holland, latoya and floppa. The Morris boys were marginally better but not by much.

I hope we’re raiding Parra, Warriors and Penrith nurseries. They seem to produce decent backs all the time.

no1bulldog

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Honestly I reckon we’ll finish somewhere between 14th and 16th

NB dog

Waterboy
Reaction score
I hope the boys do not have this mentality, i.e not making the 8 is not a failure. It fucking is. FMD, have we become the Tigers?? The basis of all competitive teams is belief. If they dont believe, they might as well get on all 4s and say 'give it to me harder'. I believe/hope Pay is instilling this belief and culture but only time will tell. In saying this, he must stop playing favourites and select on form. Go the Dogs (and hurry up footy season).
We will make the 8 ,.., msrk my wordd’!!!

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are an nrl team however we are severely hamstrung by idiotic decisions of incompetent scum since departed. That being said I think we have a squad that, if cohesive, can certainly place 9th to 12th. Any higher would be a compliment to coaching. I too agree that we don't just passively allow a mediocre finish so our goal should always be top 8 minimum for 2019.
Lol. Placed 9 to 12.

We’re fucked. Dean pay will get sacked if it’s gonna happen.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can someone please explain the reasoning behind the composition of the current team. First, I thought an NRL club had 30 spots in the top tier salary cap. The Bulldogs website lists 29 players. And of the 29 there are 11 second rowers and 1 centre.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm not expecting to see us sweep the competition away next season. But if we're not in or close to the top 8 I will be a bit disappointed. I expect Bulldogs sides to compete regardless of the team we're able to field.

A lot of things can make next year better than expected or a hard year for fans to endure. Our depth doesn't look great. But our young squad will all know that next year we will have a better chance to pick up a quality replacement for 2020 if they don't perform adequately. Aside from that I think that many of the players within the top 30 or the development players we choose will know that impressing this year will give them a great chance to establish themselves in the NRL instead of us needing to buy more talent in their positions. With the new restrictions to NRL promotion it has to be a big incentive to step up when you have the chance. So taking their opportunities should be enough incentive for youngsters to impress in any way they can. Opportunity won't knock repeatedly for players under this restricted promotion system. The added youth in our roster can also help to snap the side out of their win by percentages mode that Hasler favored. And a side with a lot of youth will be harder to prepare for since opposing coaches won't know exactly what to expect. If the team throws everything they have into every game we could go a long way.

I personally think we've altered the squad in a way that will allow us to at least strive for middle of the pack (top 8 finish). A fullback who offers support play will be a big benefit and Meaney seems to offer that. And if Cogger gets his chance I think he'll emerge as a decent general directing the play. Forans may or may not last the season, but I think that Cogger and Lewis might be capable of producing more in playmaking terms than we've seen in a while. So many people have jumped to the conclusion that because we didn't pick up established stars in the spine we won't compete. During the golden era of the club we've done very well with picking up players that didn't stand out regularly and getting them to play out of their skins. We used to thrive on picking the eyes out of off contract players that weren't highly rated. We also relied on having strong juniors. Our junior ranks aren't as great as they once were, but I think we've probably picked up some good youngsters. How good remains to be seen and with some self belief and the right attitude the squad could be a real surprise packet. I think that our recent staff additions have the ability to have planned things well and that will only be proven by how well our new recruits perform. I choose to remain hopeful that they've done well.

I'm not going to slit my wrists if the side doesn't step up. We're in the early stages of a rebuild. But typically we've seen the team do well when they're highly under-rated. I hope we go back to that tradition and take some good wins in the early rounds. If we can make a few teams nervous about facing us all while boosting the confidence of our youngsters we might surprise our biggest skeptics. Obviously things might not go as I hope, but I won't write 2019 off as a year where we're just developing youngsters for 2020 until I see what the team is capable of.
Agreed!

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Pay should be sacked if we don't make the 8. We're not fucking Parramatta or the Tigers.
We’re not the NSW Blues and make drastic changes every time they lose a game. Hasler’s mess was long-term so Pay shouldn’t lose his job because of the previous board’s incompetence.

Kurrupt78

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How long is Pay’s contract? Was it only 2?

Because if it is and we have another shit year, I’m not too sure they’ll renew. Especially if we haven’t made any inroads of improvement. I just can’t see them doing it if we finish below 12-13th spot.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
We’re not the NSW Blues and make drastic changes every time they lose a game. Hasler’s mess was long-term so Pay shouldn’t lose his job because of the previous board’s incompetence.
No he shouldn't. Pay isn't an established coach and hasn't delivered shit yet. If he can't deliver and get us into the 8 then we need to look at better options. Bloke is only coaching us because he played for us.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
No he shouldn't. Pay isn't an established coach and hasn't delivered shit yet. If he can't deliver and get us into the 8 then we need to look at better options. Bloke is only coaching us because he played for us.
Pay was behind the Raiders success in 2016, and Sticky Ricky took credit for it, not because he played for us. As I said, Hasler (and Dib's Salary Cap rising predictions) ultimately fucked up the team and Pay has no salary cap space to work with - nor will whichever person you think should've been picked instead.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Pay was behind the Raiders success in 2016, and Sticky Ricky took credit for it, not because he played for us. As I said, Hasler (and Dib's Salary Cap rising predictions) ultimately fucked up the team and Pay has no salary cap space to work with - nor will whichever person you think should've been picked instead.
LOL.

Jean-Claude Juncker

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Pay can be successful as a Meninga-esque style man manager. In fact the players’ clear respect for him already indicates he is doing well in that respect. Unless he “loses the dressing room”, then the club should be looking very closely at the coaching staff around him.