Reaction score
STATS

Stat Attack: The hookers who don't just play dummy half
Author
Tanisha StantonNRL.com Reporter
Timestamp
Thu 27 Dec 2018, 02:01 PM

Share on social media
Damien Cook became renowned for his speed out of dummy half but NRL.com Stats reveal that he was also dominant among NRL hookers away from the ruck.

An outstanding 2018 campaign for the Rabbitohs resulted in Cook being rewarded with the NSW and Australian No.9 jumper, with South Sydney locking him up with a new contract for the next four seasons.

While the image of Cook that comes to mind is a scoot after a quick play-the-ball, it turns out the Rabbitohs rake actually handled the ball away from dummy-half more often than any other hooker in the Telstra Premiership.

The Dally M Hooker of the Year had 1915 touches from dummy half and 377 receipts outside of that position – topping the competition's No.9s with 16% of his involvements coming outside of dummy half.

It shows the Blues speedster led the way for his position not just in dummy-half play but in getting his hands on the ball in other ways, be it as a playmaker, ball runner or support player.

Former Queensland and Australian hooker Cameron Smith is renowned for his playmaking skills and ranked second in this stat, with his 351 receipts away from dummy-half making up 15% of his touches.

There was a significant drop to third and fourth place when it came to total touches for hookers last season, with Manly's Apisai Koroisau (163 touches outside dummy-half, 14%), and Wests Tigers star Robbie Farah (144 touches outside dummy-half, 14%) the next best.

Warriors Issac Luke finished with 12% of receipts outside of dummy half, ahead of Canberra's Josh Hodgson, Manly's Manase Fainu and the Wests Tigers' Pita Godinet on 11%.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/12/27/stat-attack-the-hookers-who-dont-just-play-dummy-half/

#FUCKDES :(

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Lichaa isn't a hookers A-hole compared to Cook :( Even old man Farah out ranks our dud.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
Wow another brainbuster of a stat. Most of the time they are just filling in the backline because the play-the-ball is too far away.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Bad luck Lichaa.. maybe you'll make an appearance on the top hookers who suck, although there will be tough competition from the streets of kings cross I reckon.

dekepefc

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bad luck Lichaa.. maybe you'll make an appearance on the top hookers who suck, although there will be tough competition from the streets of kings cross I reckon.
I've heard he's got this move he nicknamed the lichaaround

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I'm not really sure if people are hopeful that Lichaa will get his hands on the ball more in general play, but the positive thing about these guys who are playmaking hookers is they know when to let the ball go in well timed passes. Lichaa either seems to have no decision making ability or is seriously poor with passing. So unless he's worked really hard on throwing well timed passes to players with momentum though this off season I'd be pretty happy if he gets his hands on the ball less.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I just don’t think Lichaa reads the game to good that’s his biggest problem. Prob worst hooker going around

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Another artical that highlights I the modern hooker needs to be able to play pivot in ball translations.

Pay said this is the style he wanted to play, but he kept picking Lichaa who is incapable of playing this way, over Brown and JMK who are ressy level no. 6's who can play this way?

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It's a bit sad that we're still talking about the possibility of another season with Lichaa as first vhoice in a state of trepidation. I really hope someone else steps up this year. The Mbye years are an indication that it can be a bad idea to persist with a failing player. I'm hopeful that the club never makes a panicked decision to re-sign an unproven player on a big money long term deal again.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
WHOA WHOA WHOA TENISHA STANTON WHERE THE HELL DID YOU POP UP FROM WOMAN :hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes::hearteyes:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
LOL why do you remind me of a high school boy hitting puberty??

"OMG A WOMAN" *ping*
I'm not just talking about any woman, I'm talking about THE woman. A perfect specimen. A woman who has more than just big bobs and an uncharted vagene. A curvy, voluptuous goddess whom I wish to impregnate!

If you are not attracted to this, I have some very bad news for you...