Opinion Shifty

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
For real? A halfbacks primary role is to organise the attack and conduct set plays!
I know this as I used to play footy as a junior.

A halfback is the pitch maestro!
My thoughts exactly. But plenty here think that halves aren't good enough if they aren't speedsters. I'd rather a quick between the ears halfback than a fleet of foot #7. If i had to pick between Mbye vs Sherwin I'd take Sherwin every day of the year.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly. But plenty here think that halves aren't good enough if they aren't speedsters. I'd rather a quick between the ears halfback than a fleet of foot #7. If i had to pick between Mbye vs Sherwin I'd take Sherwin every day of the year.
and twice on Sundays :grinning:

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Shifty was the man and people forget that he was so good that he kept JT to the reserves bench. The experts who think speed is everything would have hated on Sherwin. In comparison Steve Mortimer would have been OK for them, he had standing start acceleration and was super quick over a short distance. Polla Mounter was similar to Shifty, not especially fast, but had the all round game that fits the Bulldogs.

Go Dogs
If it wasn't for Joey... shifty would have carved up in origin and for Australia

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Watching those tries he's put on, shows how boring this sport has become, I can't remember the last time I've seen tries like that!

P.s. Wayne Bennett's face when that run around try was created.... Man if the salary cap was policed properly back then, Broncos would have no premierships!
Excellent l! The try after that one in the video is excellent. To have the awareness to hold the pass and hit the man out wide is outstanding. Halfbacks aren't like this anymore... sad really

Last edited:

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Excellent l! The try after that one in the video is excellent. To have to awareness to hold the pass and hit the man out wide is outstanding. Halfbacks aren't like this anymore... sad really
Just shows how much time and awareness he had when he was playing, also the no look flick pass after Slater tackles him, Shifty was awesome to watch!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Excellent l! The try after that one in the video is excellent. To have to awareness to hold the pass and hit the man out wide is outstanding. Halfbacks aren't like this anymore... sad really
It seems like the game has been moving towards favoring athleticism over intelligence for a while. Smart coaches know that brains in key positions will enhance the abilities of the less critical positions. Cronk for instance is a decent athlete, but his decision making leads to more points than his running game. Thurston was blessed with both, but that's extremely rare. But so many people think that a good athlete can be taught the decision making. To an extent they can learn a lot. But if the instinctive players are overlooked for gifted athletes in the lower grades we'll continue to see quality halves becoming rare.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Just shows how much time and awareness he had when he was playing, also the no look flick pass after Slater tackles him, Shifty was awesome to watch!
The anger by Slater after that when he's pushes Sherwin back into the ground always gets me haha