The "R U OK ?" Music Thread

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
In 1697 British poet William Congreve wrote in his play The Mourning Bride "musick has charms to sooth a savage beast".

That phrase in the modern day has come to be known as "music calms/tames/soothes the savage beast", and yet 320+ years on, the meaning still conveys exactly as intended when written in 1697, that being that the power of music can soothe even the darkest of moods.

and hence this thread...

Many of us have suffered (and still suffer) the black clouds that roll on in when the skies are blue, and torment us, prod us, poke us, and make not only our lives a struggle, but those around us who are impacted by our suffering.

For me all my shit went down in the late 90s / early 2000s, and at that time (and still), I was into the nu metal / grunge / alternative music scene.

Bands like Linkin Park, Papa Roach, Flaw, Adema, Cold, Staind, Faith No More, Soundgarden, Stone Temple Pilots, Our Lady Peace and many others released superb albums with lyrics that really spoke to me, and helped me out of some dark days.

This thread is to share tracks that have helped you (or still help you) through those dark times. Share them (with or without a story), and maybe they'll help others pulls themselves through tough times when they arise.

Here's 5 from me that helped me through tough times:

Recognize by Flaw (from the 2004 album Endangered Species).

Last Resort by Papa Roach (from the 2000 album Infest).

Papercut by Linkin Park (from the 2000 album Hybrid Theory). The entire album infact.

For You by Staind (from the 2001 album Break the Cycle).

4AM by Our Lady Peace (from the 1997 album Clumsy).

NOTE: Anyone who criticises anothers taste in music in this thread will be banned from the thread. This isn't the place for such discussion.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I’ll tear me open, make you gone
No longer will you hurt anyone
And the hate still shapes me
So hold me until it sleeps

Love this version... This is a great gym/workout track also.

Last edited:

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
While Machine Head turned to complete crap, they had some good songs before they completely descended. Ones that really struck a note and felt really apt for this

"so pray to music
Build a shrine
Worship in these desperate times
Fill your heart with every note
Cherish it and cast afloat
'cause God is in these clef and tones
Salvation is found alone
Haunted by its memory
Music it will set you free"

And of course, Descend the Shades of Night for the pure journey it takes you on from start to finish

And speaking of journeys, this one always hits the right notes all along the way. The pure emotion it evokes in the build up near the end helps any struggling soul

Sandra's Bollocks

Est. 1979
Reaction score
Like most, i tend to listen to music that i can relate to on an emotional level. And this song really grabs me every time i hear it (as does most of AIC's stuff). They sure know how to write songs that relate.

Since we're talking about the arts, i also love to express myself through photoshop compositing. Here's a piece i did a little while ago. I'm quite proud of this. I call it Catch My Tears but its open to interpretation.

Reaction score
Like most, i tend to listen to music that i can relate to on an emotional level. And this song really grabs me every time i hear it (as does most of AIC's stuff). They sure know how to write songs that relate.

Since we're talking about the arts, i also love to express myself through photoshop compositing. Here's a piece i did a little while ago. I'm quite proud of this. I call it Catch My Tears but its open to interpretation.
yeah i love the alice in chains stuff, that song reminds me of this one

i also like this one too

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
A few years back I posted on Facebook, "Sometimes you just wake up and think to yourself, 'This morning I really need some Iron Maiden'". That popped up as a Facebook memory the other day so I shared it again. Right after that I turned on the radio and Iron Maiden was playing. Turned on the radio just then and Iron Maiden is playing.

I honestly think they are one of the few bands that could literally save my life

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lately this has been on my pick me up playlist quite often. Not sure what it is. Probably the Douglas Adams reference or the orchestral sounds but it's just such a powerful song

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I also do see the irony in the fact that most of the songs that pick me up are songs about dying, suicide, depression and the end of humanity.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
This is going to be my funeral song, always listen to it in hospital. This has to be the only song that describes me word for word, especially the last 7 years.

And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain

My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain

I've lived a life that's full
I traveled each and every highway
And more, much more than this, I did it my way

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention

I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption

I planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill, my share of losing
And now, as tears subside, I find it all so amusing

To think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way
Oh, no, oh, no, not me, I did it my way

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels
The record shows I took the blows and did it my way
Yes, it was my way

Mr 95%

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
This is going to be my funeral song, always listen to it in hospital. This has to be the only song that describes me word for word, especially the last 7 years.

And now, the end is near
And so I face the final curtain

My friend, I'll say it clear
I'll state my case, of which I'm certain

I've lived a life that's full
I traveled each and every highway

Regrets, I've had a few
But then again, too few to mention

I did what I had to do and saw it through without exemption

I planned each charted course, each careful step along the byway

Yes, there were times, I'm sure you knew
When I bit off more than I could chew
But through it all, when there was doubt
I ate it up and spit it out
I faced it all and I stood tall and did it my way

I've loved, I've laughed and cried
I've had my fill, my share of losing
And now, as tears subside, I find it all so amusing

To think I did all that
And may I say, not in a shy way
Oh, no, oh, no, not me, I did it my way

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels
The record shows I took the blows and did it my way
Yes, it was my way
Well let’s hope it’s not needed to be played for many many years to come brother..

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Well let’s hope it’s not needed to be played for many many years to come brother..
That's the plan my brother.

I'm going to make 2019 the year I stop stalling and slam it into first. Tank will be back...

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
A few years back I posted on Facebook, "Sometimes you just wake up and think to yourself, 'This morning I really need some Iron Maiden'". That popped up as a Facebook memory the other day so I shared it again. Right after that I turned on the radio and Iron Maiden was playing. Turned on the radio just then and Iron Maiden is playing.

I honestly think they are one of the few bands that could literally save my life

The band that got me into metal when I was a wee chap. 30 years on and I still can't get enough of them.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
After my break up with my long term partner due to the fact she was cheating on me I fell into a deep depression. My emotions were all over the place from being sad and breaking down to complete anger and hating the world.

During this time the one thing that helped me was listening to metal music. I listened to bands like Bullet For My Valentine, Killswitch Engaged, Breaking Benjamin, All That Remains, Dead By April for example, but there were more.

These bands lyrically had songs that I could relate to and it definitely helped because how I was feeling was coming out in these songs.

I will post some of the songs later as I am at work and don't have the time to surf YouTube right now.

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Check out the following songs
Read the lyrics

Guns n roses Coma
Amazing lyrics well worth looking up

Metallica low mans lyric from the re load album
Dead set I use to skip past that song
Then one day I watched a YouTube vid of that song with rolling lyrics
I watched it 3 times
By the 3rd time I understood exactly what each line each lyric in the song meant
I literally had a lump in my throat and shed a tear

Very sad lyrics

K E

The Bart, The
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
For any dude who's having trouble with their missus this song sums it up perfectly.