Opinion Shifty

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
An interesting onlooker at Bulldogs training sessions over the past few weeks has been Brent Sherwin. This morning he took the halves for a kicking session. The synergy between Foran Lewis Cogger Wakeham & the now svelte Lichaa distributing from dummy half was impressive!
Kudos Dean Pay & Brent Sherwin

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
It's good to have him back in the fold. He's still the best halfback we've had in the last 20 or more years.

I'm sure even now he'd probably be the best option we'd have to partner Lewis for this season! I see some similarities between the two players. Both are natural footballers that play whats in front of them and are schemers who direct a team well.

Shifty was the most underrated player of his generation and would have been an Australian and NSW rep from 2002-2004 if it weren't for Johns being around. He doesn't get credit for the skill he had and control he had on his kicks, especially grubbers and his trademark bombs to himself!

He's one of my favourite all time players and that 2004 team is one of the best squads you'll ever see assembled.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What an absolute weapon he was... Things are really positive around the club right now and will only benefit what happens on the field next year and beyond

Last edited:

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I saw a little bit of Steve Mortimer when I was pretty young. I know he was good but don't have many solid memories of him playing. But Sherwin is the halfback that I rate as the best that I saw play for us. Pinpoint kicking, the master of the run around play and very quick between the ears.

If he played for us these days the kennel would probably have plenty of negativity from those who think a halfback needs to be an Olympic sprinter. But I'm glad he's contributing his experience towards getting both Lewis and Cogger to a higher standard.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shifty was a genius with the football, he had it on a string, the only thing that went against him was he played in the era of Johns! Otherwise he would have played representative football easily.... There's no doubt in my mind the halves will benefit from his coaching, well done bulldogs, a long time coming, better late than never!

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Shifty was a genius with the football, he had it on a string, the only thing that went against him was he played in the era of Johns! Otherwise he would have played representative football easily.... There's no doubt in my mind the halves will benefit from his coaching, well done bulldogs, a long time coming, better late than never!
Cogger was picking Shifty’s brain. You could see Each of his kicks getting more accurate & crisp. Expect our attacking kick game to improve markedly in season 2019.
Napa’s really fitting in at the joint, he will lift the younger forwards expect improved seasons from Fualalo & Tualau as a result.

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Anyone remember the game he destroyed Manly on his own? Unfortunately Folksey wasn't happy with him because he went against the game plan?

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Anyone remember the game he destroyed Manly on his own? Unfortunately Folksey wasn't happy with him because he went against the game plan?
04? The one we put 50 on them in manly and Bobcat got a hat Trick?

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's good to have him back in the fold. He's still the best halfback we've had in the last 20 or more years.

I'm sure even now he'd probably be the best option we'd have to partner Lewis for this season! I see some similarities between the two players. Both are natural footballers that play whats in front of them and are schemers who direct a team well.

Shifty was the most underrated player of his generation and would have been an Australian and NSW rep from 2002-2004 if it weren't for Johns being around. He doesn't get credit for the skill he had and control he had on his kicks, especially grubbers and his trademark bombs to himself!

He's one of my favourite all time players and that 2004 team is one of the best squads you'll ever see assembled.

Couldn't help it!

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
04? The one we put 50 on them in manly and Bobcat got a hat Trick?
What a game!!! I know we're all a bit Bulldogs biased.... we're currently struggling a bit as fans due to the premiership drought, and rugby league will never be the same, but we've had some ridiculously awesome memories!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
What a game!!! I know we're all a bit Bulldogs biased.... we're currently struggling a bit as fans due to the premiership drought, and rugby league will never be the same, but we've had some ridiculously awesome memories!
Damn right brother, my favourite GF is still 88, as it was the first GF I went to and I really understood what was happening.

95 I was stuck at a Church feast day picnic at Wallacia, I locked myself in the car, radio blaring and flashing lights and leaving my hand on the horn when we scored and won. Drained the battery and copped a flogging from my old man but it was so worth it.

I just can't wait till we win another one so I can share it with my kids, the game and pre/post party at Belmore too lol

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Damn right brother, my favourite GF is still 88, as it was the first GF I went to and I really understood what was happening.

95 I was stuck at a Church feast day picnic at Wallacia, I locked myself in the car, radio blaring and flashing lights and leaving my hand on the horn when we scored and won. Drained the battery and copped a flogging from my old man but it was so worth it.

I just can't wait till we win another one so I can share it with my kids, the game and pre/post party at Belmore too lol
Bellmore is awesome in the week leading into Bulldogs GF! Sometimes I think they don't like us winning the GF, Because they know what will happen post GF at belmore, lol....

Dogzof95

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It's like a Lebo family BBQ lol
With all the cousins from Bankstown, Punchbowl, and Campsie rocking up and joining in! The only time you see no one gives two shits they're stuck in traffic!

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
So has shifty finally signed on as our new halves coach???? Or was he just invited to help out???

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
An interesting onlooker at Bulldogs training sessions over the past few weeks has been Brent Sherwin. This morning he took the halves for a kicking session. The synergy between Foran Lewis Cogger Wakeham & the now svelte Lichaa distributing from dummy half was impressive!
Kudos Dean Pay & Brent Sherwin
Fuck Lichaa:rage: