Fans' predictions: Where each club will finish in 2019 - Bulldogs 15th

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
If you take 2018 into consideration... really there were only two teams who were consistent - Storm and Rorters.. Sharks and Souths had good runs... but there are few other teams in the comp who I can see being hard for us to overcome next year... 2019 is going to be super hard for tipping.. even more so than this year

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Biggest horse shit ive read in my life. Still havent answered my question. Wouldnt the 650k a season for napa have been better spent on a quality fb or half?
Lets just have some hope that getting Cogger and Meaney before they had huge price tags pays off for two years while the backended deals run down. The value of an emerging player is a huge variable. We could have paid huge money for an established quality player on a five year deal who decides to rest and preserve their body till contract renewal time approaches. T-Rex springs to mind. If Napa brings the fear factor to the Bulldogs forward pack and inspires the rest of our pack to play aggressively he's worth every cent of what we paid.

And saying he's getting 650k is just a guess. Salaries are only known to select people and if you were one of them I doubt you would jeapardise your career by bringing it up here. I don't say this to offend you, but it really bugs me that people make assumptions on contract values. What we know is that he's an aggressive player who can add value to our pack if he plays the way he has in the past. If he drops off in intensity then whatever he is earning may be too much. If he gets better we may have gotten him for a bargain price. Time will tell on that like it will on every recruit. If Sean Johnson suffers a few long term injuries at the Sharks they may regret spending big money on him. All recruitment decisions involve some degree of risk. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes not. Screaming that we overpaid for a player will make zero difference to the outcome of recruitment decisions when in actual fact you are only guessing that we overpaid anyway.

Jabba the Mutt

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I have to admit that I'm a 1/2 glass full type of person so I'm looking for an improvement from this year. I'm also a realist so I'll be looking at how Pay can make combinations gel.
Great players are fabulous to have but great combinations can be really difficult to construct and maintain. Seriously, what's the point of our forwards making huge meters when the end result is a poor kick and a turnover to the opposition?
Look, I admittedly belong to a past era but the Dogs were built on an old adage which was to hunt like a 'pack'......just another name for combinations.
They were never the most gifted but they were the most feared as their combinations were second to none. I'd have mates lamenting the fact that their respective teams had to play the Bulldogs because even though their team may win they all knew that there were consequences.....their players were busted, bruised and generally fucked.
Yes, I'm old fashioned but geez I'd love to see modern day combinations based upon mates doing it for each other.
If we can do this I think that 2020 will be a beauty and 2019 a wonderful learning experience.
Am I asking for too much? Maybe! but I have two words for you....Go Dogs!!

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I wouldn't want Barba again. And I really hope we become a club that develops promising players into stars like we used to again. The Hasler years showed that bought not bred didn't play out well for us.

I don't know how people are still trying to guess how much cap space we have left, much less idea of why people are agonizing about the players we might have picked up given different timing. Our staff are doing their best they can given they have had a load of juggling to get the salary cap back in order.

I'd prefer to head into the season as underdogs and give our critics the middle finger by playing great football than to be favourites who disappoint.

I think your forgetting Des Hasler recruited jack shit.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lets just have some hope that getting Cogger and Meaney before they had huge price tags pays off for two years while the backended deals run down. The value of an emerging player is a huge variable. We could have paid huge money for an established quality player on a five year deal who decides to rest and preserve their body till contract renewal time approaches. T-Rex springs to mind. If Napa brings the fear factor to the Bulldogs forward pack and inspires the rest of our pack to play aggressively he's worth every cent of what we paid.

And saying he's getting 650k is just a guess. Salaries are only known to select people and if you were one of them I doubt you would jeapardise your career by bringing it up here. I don't say this to offend you, but it really bugs me that people make assumptions on contract values. What we know is that he's an aggressive player who can add value to our pack if he plays the way he has in the past. If he drops off in intensity then whatever he is earning may be too much. If he gets better we may have gotten him for a bargain price. Time will tell on that like it will on every recruit. If Sean Johnson suffers a few long term injuries at the Sharks they may regret spending big money on him. All recruitment decisions involve some degree of risk. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes not. Screaming that we overpaid for a player will make zero difference to the outcome of recruitment decisions when in actual fact you are only guessing that we overpaid anyway.

Sometimes sighing a player with potential back fires too

Barbra signs with us long term and then hits a purple patch all of a sudden he is under paid and doesn’t want to b here and as usual the dogs bend over and cop it up the ass

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Look if we win all your regular games we can make finals, if we win all our finals games we can make the grand final and if we can win the grand final we will be premiers it’s pretty straight forward if you ask me
Coach Daley once was reported as saying that to win a game you have to score more points than your opponents.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Coach Daley once was reported as saying that to win a game you have to score more points than your opponents.
And that was part of the last straw for me deciding to not watch Origin games ever again. Although it was mostly just the biased refereeing.

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your argument is stupid. In 2013 roosters recruited sbw malnoey Jennings won the comp. In 2016 sharks bought barba ennis malaney townsend won the comp. In 2018 roosters bought teddy cronk won the comp. See the drift? 2008 we win the spoon. 2009 we bought a shit load of quality players and should have won minor premiership.

Recruitment is key. Ben Barba Shaun Johnson Corey Norman all were available but no we go and buy Dylan Napa. So please explain how the club is doing a great again?
I wouldn't go anywhere near Norman. Yes, he has an occasional blinder but he is inconsistent and a massive liability off the field as well. His relationship issues with Moses were well documented and a large part of why they ended up with the spoon.

I also wouldnt have been chasing Johnson for the money he was after either. Far too inconsistent and struggled when the pressure was on and the team looked to him.
Time will tell.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Around $500k and 1 spot left, which should get us someone half decent when they pop up. After the coaches merry go round and the salary cap audit currently underway.
So far 2 casualties of the salary cap audit, Flanagan (not cap related) and now the Tigers (salary cap related).

Go Dogs

Smirrors

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Some deluded supporters on here, we are bottom 3 based on facts. Its up to the boys and others team to slip up for us to get any higher.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The fuck did Meaney get so big? Lol

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Hopefully Meaney hasn’t lost his pace by gaining weight

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hopefully Meaney hasn’t lost his pace by gaining weight
It's going to be like when Barba put on weight at the Broncos and forgot how to run hahaha.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Bloody oath he does. Very deceptive in appearance last year. Has he always been filled out like this? They've done a good job on him.
Perhaps he is still growing. Looks bigger than CHN and Elliot would be great if he turned out to be the rock star fullback we've been praying for.