Dib the TPA King - Mythbusted

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spoonman84

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
THE NRL will attempt to clean up the scourge of third-party deals by coming clean for the first time with how much all 16 clubs receive from outside sponsors.

The unprecedented overhaul designed to stop salary cap rorting also includes the induction of a new contract system which will require the NRL to receive every formal offer that is made to a player.

The decision which was rubber-stamped by club CEOs in Sydney comes in the wake of three brand-damaging salary cap investigations in as many years involving Parramatta, Manly and currently Cronulla.

NRL COO Nick Weeks wants to clean up the system. (AAP Image/Brendan Esposito)
“What we’ve tried to do is to put in more checks and balances to help identify any noncompliance with the rules,’’ NRL chief operating officer Nick Weeks said.

“What it also does is it’s going to require clubs, agents and players to jump through more hoops before they register a third-party agreement or signed playing contracts.

“For the first time I think fans, clubs and others will be able to see exactly the volume of third-party agreements that exist in the game and we think that’s a good thing.

“One of the challenges we’ve seen is some misconceptions in the game about the volume with TPAs which has caused some clubs to make bad decisions around the salary cap rules.’’

Total third-party payments for NRL clubs.
The NRL welcomes third-party agreements as long as the sponsor is not affiliated with the club.

There is also no limit on how many third-party deals a club can register with the NRL.

The Daily Telegraph obtained a first look of the 2018 and 2017 third-party values of every club, which will be made public today.

The figures make for interesting and surprising reading.

Of no great shock is both Melbourne and Brisbane dominate the largest portion of third-party deals.

Their lure as a one-team, one-town franchise and their elite star power are both major factors in their ability to attract just over $1 million in third-party deals for the Storm and just under $800,000 for the Broncos in 2018.

Having this bloke as your figurehead doesn’t hurt the bottom line. (Michael Dodge/Getty Images)
Conversely, the Eels — who were bereft of superstar talent last season, managed around $50,000 in TPA’s.

The Warriors inability to boast just over $200,000 additional financial interest in their players despite their vast geographical location is a concern with just over $200,000 in TPAs recorded for 2018.

In 2018, a total of $4.2 million in additional payments were paid to 94 players across 205 different agreements.

TPA deals for players are far-reaching and can be as simple as a boot, headgear or car sponsor to major commercial or corporate meet and greet appearances and work, for a particular business.

The Sea Eagles have been through their own TPA problems. (Toby Zerna)
“We think being able to understand the proper picture will help clubs, players and agents,’’ Weeks said.

“I think the data we have illustrates clearly that the volume of third-party that exists across the game aren’t as great as some people believe.

“This has been an area that created a lot of attention among fans, among the media and a lot of debate around it is inaccurate.

“So we think that by providing more transparency and accurate information, it will take some of the heat out of the debate and that will only improve our compliance with the salary cap rules.’’

There are plenty of deals on offer in a one-horse town. (AAP Image/Dave Hunt)
Weeks said the NRL had not contemplated making the full salary of players public, like in the NFL.

But he said a new contract registering system would allow the game to monitor any questionable deal that sees a player sign with a club for a significantly less amount that what he was offered by a rival club.

For example only, if Damien Cook had re-signed at Souths for $600,000 a season when the Broncos had offered $1 million.

“The system will require agents and clubs to lodge (the offer) with the NRL when an offer is made,’’ Weeks said.

“At the moment we don’t see anything until a contract is lodged.

“What we’ll see is competing offers that are made to the player before he makes his decision.

“We think it’s just another tool in our armoury to help us monitor what is going on with contracting activities.

“To the extent that there are some contracts that are done which are unusual in terms of players accepting offers less than other clubs are offering.

“It will allow us to see that.’’

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...s/news-story/1400bef2379f2b495cd3779180cee006

Reactions: GDR

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Melbourne Storm 1 million plus??? No wonder it is near impossible to sign anyone from that joint. Add in the cheaper living standards compared to Sydney and the bastards are on a bonanza re retention of players and signing clout. This is where the cap fails to do what it was originally designed to do, create an even playing field across the board. It is time to get rid of the cap or just ban third party payments all together. If we truly desire an even comp IMO all clubs must be directed to structure their rosters solely around the fixed cap with no third parties allowed.That would surely f@ck off the advantage the Donkeys and the drizzle currently have over the rest of the competition.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Credit to them for trying to change a flawed system but based on their figures it only exacerbates how little they actually know.

If the Roosters are that far down the list, then their list is pointless and all other information on it is rendered obsolete.

I'm so sick of the Roosters cheating and the narrative from the media and NRL that they constantly somehow have endless cap space despite having the best roster in the comp with the most sought after players, yet they have cap space and don't use TPA's??? And the NRL either believe this or turn a blind eye and allow the Roosters to cheat. I don't know which is worse..

Either way, the NRL are showing how out of their element they are and how any changes won't truly fix anything.

Last edited:

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
TPAs are bullshit and we all know it, everything is under the table in that department so screw that.

FINALLY THEY HAVE LISTENED!!!

“The system will require agents and clubs to lodge (the offer) with the NRL when an offer is made,’’ Weeks said.
Hopefully more things like this to come.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Also, how will this prevent clubs from making offers on the sly or clubs from organising TPAs without the NRL's knowledge like they've been doing for years?

Until they get an independent investigator working at every club scrutinizing and watching their every move, then nothing will really change. Even then, clubs would find ways to rort the system.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Melbourne Storm 1 million plus??? No wonder it is near impossible to sign anyone from that joint. Add in the cheaper living standards compared to Sydney and the bastards are on a bonanza re retention of players and signing clout. This is where the cap fails to do what it was originally designed to do, create an even playing field across the board. It is time to get rid of the cap or just ban third party payments all together. If we truly desire an even comp IMO all clubs must be directed to structure their rosters solely around the fixed cap with no third parties allowed.That would surely f@ck off the advantage the Donkeys and the drizzle currently have over the rest of the competition.
IMHO no salary cap would mean the roosters will win almost every year with the broncos and the storm winning occasionally. the game will then become like most major soccer competitions overseas, and because our game has serious competition from other codes unlike soccer overseas, the game and the NRL would die a quick death instead of a slow one.
Every law has an effect of keeping people and entities in check, some more then others. For this reason clubs that cheat the cap know that the are breaking the rules so that alone will help keep them in check at least a little.
What makes it difficult to police is that a few clubs are supported by multi millionaires, particularly by multi millionaires who have interest overseas,

TABOO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
My thoughts exactly.
This truly highlights only two real possibilities when it comes to the Roosters.
1. The NRL is so incredibly blinded by their own stupidity that they actually believe the Rorters are only spending $200k on TPAs with someone like Uncle Nick at the helm (Ridiculous). OR
2. They realise the truth but just dont give a fuck because Uncle Nick supplies hookers and blow to the NRL.

When they made the choice to make this information public, did they not stop to think that anyone with half a brain sees straight through this?
Joke.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Nick Politis in top 50 rich list in Australia I think I read, owns numerous car yards, including city ford, and is a property developer and buys the big lands out west and sells to developers who then sell to home owners, just think the guy is loaded how hard woukd it be to sign anon disclosure agreement, “hey I’ll give your wife a $200 job to work here bla bla” like honestly is it just me or does the nrl continue to just bury itself dead ? It’s so corrupt that the same network who funds the nrl (news Ltd) also owns the Brisbane Broncos.

The nrl never surprises me, and it will die a slow death if things don’t pick up .. like for instance with Cronulla . Why are journos coming out to talk why not Greenberg saying atleast something along the lines of “the nrl is aware of the allegations towards Flanagan, we will investigate this and do our best to resolve this matter” But no we all sit here waiting for justice to be served, while a couple dogs drink at end of season at a private function and it’s blasted all over media .

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If the aim of the salary cap is to even out the competition it is working to a degree. No team has gone back to back in a a very long time and the premierships have been shared around. The issue still is that certain clubs are able to retain premium talent and visit the finals more often than others.

I think what’s more important than TPA’s is the fact that clubs aren’t correctly assessing their future cap position. Which is why we see players being offloaded mid contract with more frequency.

We should never have signed Foran and Woods to contracts we couldn’t really afford.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Brisbane is cheaper than both.

Being in Brisbane, the guy who sits next to me in the office is a massive Broncos fan, and he hates it when I tell him that the worst decision the NSWRL ever made was to allow a corporate franchise into their competition. It riles him up to the point where he then has to remember that I am his boss....

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. Not a single business in all of Australia whats to sponsor the sharks. Yet businesses want to sponsor there players instead to the tune of over 200k a season.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nick Politis in top 50 rich list in Australia I think I read, owns numerous car yards, including city ford, and is a property developer and buys the big lands out west and sells to developers who then sell to home owners, just think the guy is loaded how hard woukd it be to sign anon disclosure agreement, “hey I’ll give your wife a $200 job to work here bla bla” like honestly is it just me or does the nrl continue to just bury itself dead ? It’s so corrupt that the same network who funds the nrl (news Ltd) also owns the Brisbane Broncos.

The nrl never surprises me, and it will die a slow death if things don’t pick up .. like for instance with Cronulla . Why are journos coming out to talk why not Greenberg saying atleast something along the lines of “the nrl is aware of the allegations towards Flanagan, we will investigate this and do our best to resolve this matter” But no we all sit here waiting for justice to be served, while a couple dogs drink at end of season at a private function and it’s blasted all over media .
It happens but it’s just hard to track man. Of course under the table deals etc occur, sometimes they will never get caught, and sometimes it does take years to catch up.

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Dib is just another stereotypical Lebo, knows fuck all, talks shit, loves to big note himself with when he knows he is just another nobody maggot.

Watch the shit **** try to get into Governemnt, a la Mehaja style.

He thought he can use his ethnicity to his advantage, even other lebs are sick of the dud, he is an embarrassment to the Lebo community.

Last edited:

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. Not a single business in all of Australia whats to sponsor the sharks. Yet businesses want to sponsor there players instead to the tune of over 200k a season.
Sneaky Bastards

JackDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"The total 2018 TPA pool includes 205 agreements spread across 94 players but this does not include a large number of small non-cash deals – for example equipment like boots and headgear – that most NRL players have in some form."
- cars, 0% home loans, six-figure share portfolios after retirement, six-figure jobs for family...

"Their lure as a one-team, one-town franchise and their elite star power are both major factors in their ability to attract just over $1 million in third-party deals for the Storm and just under $800,000 for the Broncos in 2018."
- Newcastle, Gold Coast, Canberra, Auckland, Townsville are one team towns. JT & SJ are elite players. Strange this argument doesn't seem to hold for these teams. Perhaps they have more of the "small non-cash deals" than the Donks or the Storm (yeah, right).

"I think the data we have illustrates clearly that the volume of third-party that exists across the game aren’t as great as some people believe."
- I think you believe people are far more gullible than they are. Rorter$ only on $200k? Bullshit, that wouldn't even cover Cronk.

Graphs are only as credible as the input data.

The sooner the "cap" is not based on money, the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.