News NRL rushing to implement player transfer window during 2019 season.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/nrl-mi...the-mole/e43a4076-a6f7-4b95-9256-3d6e4137d9dd

NRL PUSH FOR TRANSFER WINDOW

The NRL is pushing to rush in a transfer window as early as next year to bring an end to the out-of-control player trading circus that has upset fans throughout the game.

Plans are being put into place for the transfer window system - similar to that used in European soccer - to begin late next year in preparation for the 2020 season.

The transfer windows would see the end of the current system that enables players to sign contracts with rival clubs from November 1 the year prior to their contracts expiring.

Coaches have backed the new system, believing it will give more stability to their rosters long term by preventing players changing clubs at will a year ahead of time.

It is believed the NRL is looking at three or four transfer windows in a calendar year - with player movement only allowed in those times.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Not sure this really solves anything, infact could make things worse.

Player suddenly gets homesick leading up to a transfer window and signs elsewhere.

I'd like to see a system like in ESL whereby a player can be loaned to another team, with the only condition they cannot play against the team loaning them out. That way players can be retained by current teams.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Not sure this really solves anything, infact could make things worse.

Player suddenly gets homesick leading up to a transfer window and signs elsewhere.

I'd like to see a system like in ESL whereby a player can be loaned to another team, with the only condition they cannot play against the team loaning them out. That way players can be retained by current teams.
I don’t know if loan systems will work with such a small competition. Works exceptionally well with soccer as they have so many tiers across the world.

I also think three or four is too much. Just two, one mid season and end of season. But don’t stop there.
If we don’t implement a draft, must implement a remuneration system so clubs can at least profit from that player (youth investment, rep player loss etc taken into account).

And all this has to be stamped by the NRL. No under the table deals. Fans want transparency. I know I do

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
It solves nothing.......players leaving a year earlier than they should???? How will this stop players like no nuts Klemmer claiming compassionate grounds for a lager pay day with 2 or so years left on the current contracts??? Trade windows in the NRL??? Hahahaha, worst run comp in the land. Greenturd should just staple a sign to his ass saying open for business. The Turdman and his administration are an absolute joke.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I don’t know if loan systems will work with such a small competition. Works exceptionally well with soccer as they have so many tiers across the world.

I also think three or four is too much. Just two, one mid season and end of season. But don’t stop there.
If we don’t implement a draft, must implement a remuneration system so clubs can at least profit from that player (youth investment, rep player loss etc taken into account).

And all this has to be stamped by the NRL. No under the table deals. Fans want transparency. I know I do
English Super League is of similar size isn't it (with Challenge Cup, etc)? Seems to work well there.

Agree if they have to bring it in maybe 1, 2 or 3 windows (pre season, mid season, end of season). Or maybe the NRL need to grow a set and enforce/strengthen existing rules.

For example:
- Players can renew with their current club at any time during contract period.
- Players can only ask for a release, be approached, and transfer to another club in the final year of their contract after Nov 1 (before the final year).
- Players who choose to break contract are excluded playing in the NRL until the final year with their previously contracted club.
- Players who MUST break their contract (for family reasons) cannot sign for a higher contract amount, and cannot play against former side for the term of original contract.

Shanked

U been Shanked
Reaction score
would prefer a trade window instead.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

Yeah 100% why have 4? Seriously makes zero sense, typical stupid nrl . Why not have a designated transfer window ? Potentially the first 2 months of competition? Can’t be middle as it can disrupt a season, and not around finals time either.

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It solves nothing.......players leaving a year earlier than they should???? How will this stop players like no nuts Klemmer claiming compassionate grounds for a lager pay day with 2 or so years left on the current contracts??? Trade windows in the NRL??? Hahahaha, worst run comp in the land. Greenturd should just staple a sign to his ass saying open for business. The Turdman and his administration are an absolute joke.
We wouldn’t need a trade window as such if contracts were made to be honoured.. they should implement a rule that if you break a contrary you can’t earn more $ else wear , they wonder why the nrl is losing interest hey..

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I have zero confidence in any new rules this current administration implement. They're scrambling for credibility these days, so it's unlikely that any system with merit wil be implemented.

Gabe

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Great idea
We can focus on footy during the season, and the papers have something to write about in the off season rather than camp out at end of season celebrations for stories.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
How will this trade work? There’s no transfer fees or draft picks to receive in compensation?

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Anyone that thinks this is going to make a difference is crazy.

Why change the system completely for the exception? Klemmer situation is going to happen either way - with or without transfer windows.

I say make contracts 1 years contracts for all players, and let's watch how the players quickly learn a contract works both ways.

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score

Why change the system completely for the exception? Klemmer situation is going to happen either way - with or without transfer windows.

I say make contracts 1 years contracts for all players, and let's watch how the players quickly learn a contract works both ways.
As much as I love to see players feel the effects of playing to a one year contract, it will never happen.
In regards to Klemmer, it was happening either way, but the bulldogs should have got a junior they wanted in return or compensation.
That’s what we are trying to say. Not fair to the fans to cop this without seeing anything in return

Sleeky

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
For example:
- Players who MUST break their contract (for family reasons) cannot sign for a higher contract amount, and cannot play against former side for the term of original contract.
That has got to be one of the best ideas I have heard. Absolutely love it.
I wonder if the NRL are listening in? If they are.... GAIN SOME CREDIBILITY and lead the way with some of the suggestions the kennelers are coming up with.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score

That's like 480 players negotiating new deals every season, no chance.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
That has got to be one of the best ideas I have heard. Absolutely love it.
I wonder if the NRL are listening in? If they are.... GAIN SOME CREDIBILITY and lead the way with some of the suggestions the kennelers are coming with.
I would even take it s step further, impose a financial PENALTY on the player for breaking their contracts, to go into some sort of player welfare fund.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
As much as I love to see players feel the effects of playing to a one year contract, it will never happen.
In regards to Klemmer, it was happening either way, but the bulldogs should have got a junior they wanted in return or compensation.
That’s what we are trying to say. Not fair to the fans to cop this without seeing anything in return
The club got nothing from Newcastle.
Yet the told us to fuck off when we wanted Cogger early.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
They do it anyway behind the scenes! Except with this in place it means they're position in actually on the line!
No way do they negotiate with that many players. This would also give player managers even more control of the market.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
In what transfer window can Michael Lichaa transfer out?
I honestly don't like death riding the kid but I have zero confidence he will improve.