One dead, one in a coma, two others stable after Sydney festival overdoses

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Ohhhhhhhh I get it now... so you have a shit night if you don't take drugs at a music festival.

I've been to shitloads of metal gigs in the past, and drunk booze at probably 1 in 150 concerts I'd say.

Once again I refer to this being a culture thing associated with primarily dance and rave festivals.

and NEWSFLASH - you don't need drugs to have a good time.
Wtf does your experiences have to do with you claiming they take all their pills before they get in?

You've showed your ignorance by saying they take all their pills before they get into the festival and then go off on some tangent about you only drinking once in 150 shows.

Good for you, that's your choice. Are you also going to play moral crusader with others who drink at metal gigs?

But back onto topic no they wouldnt take all their pills before they go into a festival.

Most MDMA related deaths are not due to the content of the tablets.

Many are as a result of heart atack brought on by dehydration > heat stroke > heart attack or stroke. Hence why the impact is far later than when taken.

Some as a reaction with alcohol/prescrip medication being taken.

Remember the old Red Bull and pingers death? That was due to a heart attack.

Then theres Anna Woods who from memory drowned consuming TOO MUCH water after popping pills.
Many are due to other shit being in there. You've provided only 2 examples. Troy grant keeps the reasons well hidden because they dont suit his agenda.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
1. No, youd have a shit night if you took it before you went in. They only last an hour, 2 hrs max.

s
Mate, if your eccys are only lasting an hour or two, you should change dealers.

Edit: unless drugs have changed in the 15 years since I last used them :grinning:

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Lol

Recreational drug users are not junkies....
This.

The biggest "junkie" I know is the guy who sits next to me at work. He probably drinks around 6 coffees a day, all double shots. Guy would be a nightmare to watch if he went cold Turkey.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score

Edit: unless drugs have changed in the 15 years since I last used them :grinning:
I wouldn't know as I don't use them but I'd say they usually last 3-6 hours.... Hypothetically.

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
Oh yeah my bad I must have missed reading in the media about all those people dieing purely from heat exhaustion at a concert.

Just because pill testing was done in freezing cold Canberra and in freezing cold areas of europe, doesn't mean the handful of deaths a year from idiots who take drugs will stop.

It's a simple case really. Drugs are illegal, MDMA is illegal, MDMA can kill you, hence take it at your own risk. End of story.
That was the worst story I've ever read. Where was the plot? Where was the character development?

Hacky McAxe

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
I gotta say one thing i am really curious about, what is the murdoch agenda/angle on this? If both the DT and the after dark ghouls on skynews are pushing this story, what political purpose does it serve for him?
An interesting thing related to this. There was a study in Scotland a while back that found that while many more people die from heroin, cocaine, alcohol and tranquillisers, MDMA is still the highest reported death case in the media. At the time of research they found that every MDMA death was reported in the media. Meanwhile only 1 in every 3 amphetamine deaths were reported by the media and only 1 in every 50 diazapam related deaths were reported by the media.

A

Alexander the Great

Oh yeah my bad I must have missed reading in the media about all those people dieing purely from heat exhaustion at a concert.

Just because pill testing was done in freezing cold Canberra and in freezing cold areas of europe, doesn't mean the handful of deaths a year from idiots who take drugs will stop.

It's a simple case really. Drugs are illegal, MDMA is illegal, MDMA can kill you, hence take it at your own risk. End of story.
I agree with you on these points mate but do you honestly think banning these events will stop the drug use in our culture?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
They would be more widely used if they were made legal.
Do I guess you’d be ok with a bill yo criminalise booze then?

I think the US tried that many years ago. Didn’t work.

A

Alexander the Great

yeah I've heard the scene has gone to shit these days

A

Alexander the Great

Do people wind up dead at them?
Yes. I've seen people rushed to hospital a few occasions over my life time.

Home nightclub especially.

Assassin did security work in the clubs I'm sure he can confirm the drug use/abuse in the club.

Education is the key not knee jerk reactions that do more damage in the long run.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Do I guess you’d be ok with a bill yo criminalise booze then?

I think the US tried that many years ago. Didn’t work.
I wouldn’t give a fuck, I don’t drink.
But it’d be political suicide, so I wouldn’t expect it to happen anytime soon.
I’ve no issue with people taking drugs, my issue is with people trying to make it the governments problem.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Pill testing seems to me like telling alcoholics, they can drive after drinking, so long as the car is slow.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Because a sugary drink isn’t going to kill you in minutes.
True... instant deaths are more dramatic and make for better headlines.....

A pill that has been tested is extremely unlikely to kill you...unless you take too many and dehydrate yourself. Anything is dangerous in excess. Ever hear of alcohol poisoning?

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
I wouldn’t give a fuck, I don’t drink.
But it’d be political suicide, so I wouldn’t expect it to happen anytime soon.
I’ve no issue with people taking drugs, my issue is with people trying to make it the governments problem.
Easy solution.... get politicians to pop a few dingers. All of a sudden political problems wouldn’t seem so problematic. Most of them are probably on the nose candy anyway.

Other drugs cause society more problems.... including legalised ones which are taxed by the government. If steps can be made to make people safer, why not? It’s not like the government would be spending as much on pill testing as it already is on things like RBT.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Yes. I've seen people rushed to hospital a few occasions over my life time.

Home nightclub especially.

Assassin did security work in the clubs I'm sure he can confirm the drug use/abuse in the club.

Education is the key not knee jerk reactions that do more damage in the long run.
Education? People are educated on this from a young age. However... education does nothing to those who are plain stupid.

As for nightclubs, they don't seem to be a place for Eccy dealers as much as these music festivals are. Shut them down, see what kind of fuck I give. The Baird Government practically killed Sydney's nightlife anyway with lockout and last drinks laws.

Go to Europe, that's where you see nightclubs. REAL nightclubs.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
An interesting thing related to this. There was a study in Scotland a while back that found that while many more people die from heroin, cocaine, alcohol and tranquillisers, MDMA is still the highest reported death case in the media. At the time of research they found that every MDMA death was reported in the media. Meanwhile only 1 in every 3 amphetamine deaths were reported by the media and only 1 in every 50 diazapam related deaths were reported by the media.
Speaking of Scotland, i'm reminded of the quote from Renton when he decides to give up the junk. He locks himself in a room with some of e bare essentials, including: "one bottle of Valium, which I've already procured from my mother, who is, in her own domestic and socially acceptable way also a drug addict. "

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
Absolutely.
I stated this in an earlier post.
Yeah, that's the main thing that pisses me off.....the government has no problem spending endless resources on things like RBT (not to mention policing of drunks), but isn't prepared to spend a fraction of that money to keep young people safe. It would rather demonise and talk about unrealistic prohibitive nonsense.