Official 2019 Position Breakdown: Halves

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Over the course of the pre-season bulldogs.com.au will analyse each position in the Bulldogs top 30 squad, along with the options Dean Pay has in 2019.

Today week we take a look at the halfbacks and five-eighths.

Kieran Foran:

Foran managed 12 games in his first season at the club, missing the back half of the year following re-constructive surgery on the ligaments in the toe of his left foot.

The 28-year old has made a full recovery and has been setting a high standard over the pre-season in preparation for 2019.

An experienced half with 185 NRL games under his belt, Foran is a fearless player who takes on the line without any fear for his own wellbeing. He can also play in the number six or seven jersey.

A brilliant short side player who in 2018 averaged 61.7 running metres per game.

Lachlan Lewis:

Lewis burst on to the scene in style, making his NRL debut in round 16 against the Newcastle Knights.
The talented half showed composure and class in his first NRL season and impressed everyone with his toughness on the field.

The five-eighth finished the season with 9 games, 9 forced dropouts, 322.5 average kicking metres per game, 3 try assists, 3 line-break assists, 4 offloads, 210 tackles, 52.6 average running metres and a tackle efficiency of 83%.

The 22-year old capped off his first year in the NRL by claiming the club's Rookie of the Year award. He also extended his contract with the club until the end of 2020.

Jack Cogger:

Cogger arrived at Belmore after signing a two-year contract with the Bulldogs for season's 2019 and 2020 from the Newcastle Knights.

The 21-year old has played 20 NRL games over three seasons, including 12 last season in both the halfback and five-eighth positions.

In his 12 matches, Cogger came up with 6 line-break assists, 5 try assists, 7 offloads, an average of 165.5 kick metres per game and a try.

Jack is the son of former Western Suburbs half back Trevor Cogger.

Brandon Wakeham:

Wakeham, a local junior from Chester Hill, is a graduate of the club's Harold Matthews, SG Ball and Youth High Performance teams and was named SG Ball Player of the Season in 2017.

The talented half spent the 2018 season with the club's Jersey Flegg side and played two matches with the Intrust Super Premiership team.

The 19-year old played 17 games with the under 20s and came up with 17 try assists, 21 line break assists, an average of 60.9 running metres and 190.4 kicking metres per game, as well as a goal kicking percentage of 76.1%.

The halfback signed a two-year contract extension at the beginning of the 2018 season, keeping him at the Bulldogs until the end of 2020.

Jeremy Marshall-King:

Marshall-King was a real find for the club in 2018, playing a number of positions across the season, including the halves.

Jeremy spent 14 of the 23 games he played during his first season at the club at halfback and five-eighth and came up with two tries in the number seven jersey.

The 23-year old had 30 tackle breaks, 4 try assists, 4 line-break assists, an average of 56.2 kick metres per game, in addition to 522 tackles.

JUNKYARD DOGS

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Havent seen Wakeham at all, but sounds the goods.

If Foran does go down just dont want to see JMK in the halves.

Last edited:

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
As much as I am really hoping for Foran to come good and have a $1.1m a season, season, I am unfortunately a realist and don't think that it is possible. But to be honest I am ok with this. In fact I am more than ok with this. I am really looking forward to a Cogger and Lewis halves partnership for many years to come. I think they have the potential to be as good as Sherwin and Anasta. I watched all Cogger's game last year and was very impressed. It must be noted that he played with 3 different halves partners in his 12 matches last year and took on different roles in each partnership. If Pay can get the right structure in place then him and Lewis could be anything really.

If Foran does come good then I would still look at starting with Cogger and move Lewis to left centre to replace Morris. It will be our weakest position this year with only Hoppa and Olive as alternatives. That way Lewis can stay in the first team and take on a bit of a roaming role in attack while strengthening the defence out wide. Then when Foran finally does move on he can move to 5/8.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Was reading through the list like, not JMK, not JMK, not JMK, not JMK, fuck.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Cogger - Well off the pace and that showed at Knights. They've got 3-5 better options coming through.
JMK - He's a hooker/fullback not a halves player.
Foran - suprised to see his average run metres a game.
Wakeham - played a game in NSW Cup and his decision making alongside Frawley was poor (then again maybe that was on Frawley). Has some talent and runs with the ball, but still a way off. Will play alongside Cogger in NSW Cup this year, with Nu Brown at hooker.

Dogs2004

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
"Foran is a fearless player who takes on the line without any fear for his own wellbeing." Yeh and bet this has not contributed to his injury woes...

Mozzie

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I am thinking Foran will get through approximately half the season before injuries will get the better of him. This will allow Cogger his chance to show whether he can combine with Lewis.
I am hoping a full season from Foran if nothing else but to take a bit of pressure off Lewis who will be targeted in 2019. Coaches will be informing their players stop Lewis and we stop the bulldogs. So expect everybody running at him and a few late hits for good measure. He won't have time to fart never lone organise our attack. Which sadly will lead to comments of "Lewis is crap" let's fuk him off which the norm on the Kennel.

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we havnt had great halves since terry lamb we have been obsessed with forwards for last 5 years

Malla

Reaction score
We desperately need a half with a good long and short kicking game. Would love nothing more than for Foran to fuck off. Give Cogger a shot, you never know, if that fails then go look to bring a half in.

We need someone that can compliment Lachlan Lewis' game.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
We desperately need a half with a good long and short kicking game. Would love nothing more than for Foran to fuck off. Give Cogger a shot, you never know, if that fails then go look to bring a half in.

We need someone that can compliment Lachlan Lewis' game.
Lewis.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
In these position breakdowns they've listed 3 options on the wing, 3 options in the centres and 5 in the halves.

Goes to show how thin we are in 2-5.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Foran needs to play the entire season else we fkd

Lewis will be worked out by opposition ie second year syndrome

Cogger is a faster Frawley

JMK ...fml

Wakeham is a few years off FG

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Lewy will be solid this year and him an foz May compliment each other if foz doesn’t succumb to his injuries early on, jmk will go alright at 9 (better then lichaa) and then what else will be will be, can’t wait to see it all unfold and am excited for round 1 kick off... fresh start fresh slate before making any judgement on any of our players..!!!!!

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He is a smart player and has shown that he can adapt to a situation, he will be right
I like to think so too, however I cant seem to get my head around the logistics of how he will adapt when he’s a stand still kicker and the defence will rush up and pressure him. How do you adapt to kicking with precision with half the time your use to?

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Lewy will be solid this year and him an foz May compliment each other if foz doesn’t succumb to his injuries early on, jmk will go alright at 9 (better then lichaa) and then what else will be will be, can’t wait to see it all unfold and am excited for round 1 kick off... fresh start fresh slate before making any judgement on any of our players..!!!!!
Lichaa is better than JMK, I agree his attack is poor but his denfence is priceless. He keeps the middle tight. JMKs attack isn’t good enough to offset what we loose with missing Lichaas defence.

TrioBench 1995

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Havent seen Wakeham at all, but sounds the goods.

If Foran does go down just dont want to see JMK in the halves.
Seen wakeman ,not much ,bit of a niggler, overrated if you ask me , tries hard ,but who doesn’t?

AucklandDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Foran needs to fuck off

Lewis & Cogger in the halves. Young boys but you know they will have a crack