Tommy Makinson

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Golden boot winner from England He was at Belmore last week with Warren McDonnell our recruitment officers son, it is on his instagram page, could be signing him , anyone have info on this ?

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Gotta be better than Montoya or Critchon at least.....we need a good finisher with pace..

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Golden boot winner from England He was at Belmore last week with Warren McDonnell our recruitment officers son, it is on his instagram page, could be signing him , anyone have info on this ?
Brownie was quoted as saying that Tommy was out in Oz and visited x5 other Australian clubs with the view to move Downunder in 2020.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
He's 28 years old next year.... that's too old to be trying to crack the NRL from ESL.

and this..

Saints coach Justin Holbrook tried to shut down speculation surrounding Makinson, who is contracted to the Super League club until 2021. “I haven’t seen the stories but no one has come knocking on my door from the NRL concerning Tommy,” Holbrook told The St Helens Reporter. “I know he has been on holiday Down Under but I am expecting him to return to training next week like the rest of our England players.”

Brown also moved to quash the rumours, saying that while he did meet the winger for dinner, it wasn’t about the Knights making a move.
“My family and Tommy’s family have a good relationship from my time back in England,” Brown told newcastleknights.com.au. “We caught up for a catch-up and Tommy has expressed an interest in coming to the NRL and living in Australia.“He has a number of clubs he’s looking at and he asked me for advice. That’s pretty much what it was.”

Makinson raised eyebrows when he became just the fifth English winner of the Golden Boot as best player on the international stage.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Like others have said. At 27 he is a borderline prospect. To come at 2020 he’ll be 29 at the end of that season. It’s almost like bmoz all over again.

Yes he played well for us but he was past his best. And now when you have 18-19 year old units playing on the wing with lightning acceleration, being able to run 100 in 11ish and built like tanks (95-100kg+) it sort of makes a 29 year old winger seem past it. If he was playing this well at 23-24 then yes worth a crack. Just not sure how many more miles you can get out of a 28-29 year old when he’ll be coming up against younger, stronger, faster, taller opponents most weeks.

iDoggiesFan

Kennel Established
Reaction score
He also spent a bit of time up here in Newy. Sounds as though he was shown around Newcastle’s facilities and also spent some time with Luke Walsh (Newy boy). Highly doubt we’ll see him in the blue and white or even in the NRL.

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
At 28 fuck yeah I'd take him. 2 year deal and piss him off when we are out of the doldrums as far as the cap is concerned

Reedy

Waterboy
Reaction score
Be great at the right price but I don’t see Pay wanting to pay overs for a super league winger

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I’d take Tommy..Another ESL player wouldn’t go astray, they go good here more often than not and he would be welcome for a year or two if there is any truth to it.go do worse.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
ESL backs have for the most part struggled when coming over here so I’ll pass. I can’t believe we weren’t in for Perese. The Broncos must have offered him big dollars to leave union.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
ESL backs have for the most part struggled when coming over here so I’ll pass. I can’t believe we weren’t in for Perese. The Broncos must have offered him big dollars to leave union.
Exactly. Much better prospect there and much younger too. You’ll think at 21 the guy can adjust to the speed and skill set of NRL and give him a decent crack to get a premiership.

The ESL dude although more experienced and accomplished will take time to adjust. So bad investment. Not what we need.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Think we desperately need an outside back cause atm we're pretty weak in that area. Have confidence that the club will snap someone up, and prefer that we're waiting for the right player to come along rather than just settling.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Staggs is exactly what we need young and full of potential

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Most farcical golden boot winner. Ever.
Yes, we could use an outside back. No, it shouldn’t be a bog average outside back with a farcically overvalued price tag.
Let him go to the roosters or broncos, I’m sure they have the money.

Status
Not open for further replies.