Napa Consolidated Discussion Thread

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I reckon Napa will be a bit like the Inu signing. I disliked him at parra but he won me over first game against the roosters with that athletic leap over the corner post to setup a try for the Tank.

I remember a game where Napa single handedly took on Burgess and the Souths pack, even Paul Gallen was scared of running at him.

Napa
Martin
To'omanga
RFM
Jackson

CHN
Tolman
Sue

Nice mobile pack.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
How sure are you that our young forwards were going to fire up?

You and I both agreed that tualau was good in his stints in 2017, but how good was he in 2018?

Theres too much youth in our props, tolmans a workhorse who doesnt really provide much grunt and imo sue isnt really that great either.

So what were we going to do if our young props didnt stand up? What then? Would it have been right to go out and sign a prop for 2020?
Pretty sure, though i guess i forgot to take into consideration that Pay was our coach so the chances of success might have been a little lower.

Tualau is a fucking weird one, looked more than competent enough and then completely dropped off this season. Might've struggled under Pay? Might've got lazy? Idk.

What if they didn't fire up? Well we're in a similar situation as right now. Still no chance of taking a comp but with a lot more cash to splash around.

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Pretty sure, though i guess i forgot to take into consideration that Pay was our coach so the chances of success might have been a little lower.

Tualau is a fucking weird one, looked more than competent enough and then completely dropped off this season. Might've struggled under Pay? Might've got lazy? Idk.

What if they didn't fire up? Well we're in a similar situation as right now. Still no chance of taking a comp but with a lot more cash to splash around.
Ogden and renouf have potential but that's all it is potential. They're not seasoned first graders. The ONLY seasoned first grader prop we have is tolman. Fualalo and sue have both been bench players.

We had to make another experienced signing in the front row.

If our young front row (without napa) failed it could've been a massive dent in all our young players confidence and impeded their development as first graders.

Imo napa was a signing that had to be made

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Ogden and renouf have potential but that's all it is potential. They're not seasoned first graders. The ONLY seasoned first grader prop we have is tolman. Fualalo and sue have both been bench players.

We had to make another experienced signing in the front row.

If our young front row (without napa) failed it could've been a massive dent in all our young players confidence and impeded their development as first graders.

Imo napa was a signing that had to be made
Yh it could've...or it could've been a valuable learning experience and a major point in their careers.

A prop isn't required, with or without one we aren't relevant so why bother bringing one in now? Especially another one dimensional prop that runs like a fucking pussy.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
And that's why Newcastle tapped up klemmer.
Knights are top 8 relevant this season, a prime Klemmer would make a major difference to their side unlike us. They needed a prop while we needed a bloody hooker, centre, half..

I find it hard to believe Napa signed with us for 450k even though i think that's a fair price for him..i really think it's upwards of the 600k mark. If we miss out on some key players because we bought a bloody prop then i'l be fucking filthy with this club.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know what I am a green light for some good old fashioned headhunting by our pack for 2019. We weren't gonna win shit anyway so why not take us back to the days when other packs feared us. R7 is David's debut. Would be beautiful if ginger could replicate that hit and lay old mate horizontal. I would lost my shit watching that. Don't walk away when you lay him out either ... stand over him like Spud did and tell him what dogs fans think of him.If anyone pushes you away its all in like the goddam 70's. BRING BACK THE BIFF MAN!!!!

CaptainJackson

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Knights are top 8 relevant this season, a prime Klemmer would make a major difference to their side unlike us. They needed a prop while we needed a bloody hooker, centre, half..

I find it hard to believe Napa signed with us for 450k even though i think that's a fair price for him..i really think it's upwards of the 600k mark. If we miss out on some key players because we bought a bloody prop then i'l be fucking filthy with this club.
Point is they replaced all their young props with props from elsewhere. Herman and klemmer

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Point is they replaced all their young props with props from elsewhere. Herman and klemmer
Because they're rubbish, d. Saifiti is the only decent one. Our prospects look far better.

Tassie Devil

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Showing ambition would be to not sign another bloody forward and go after a real signing that will make a real difference to our side. If that player couldn't come for another season then so be it, the club needed to strong and back their results rather than make a like for like signing that was barely required to keep people happy.

I don't expect much from Pay, don't rate him at all tbh...but this should've been the chance here to test him. If he could get our young guys up then he could've showed he was up to it and earned his next contract. Our young pups fire and our attitude is right and we have a a strong base to work with and we then only require a few targeted signings that could drastically improve our side.
Get what you're saying though saying 'this should've been the chance here to test him" really is a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Isn't it more about the board supporting and putting trust in him to build a team capable of winning? And to do that would be to not sign anyone and expect him to deliver with a team that's been playing rubbish for the past couple of years? New blood is always important. Agree we should've just splash it on anyone ...

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Because they're rubbish, d. Saifiti is the only decent one. Our prospects look far better.
Young zac saddler looks promising. Looks likes hes almost same height as klemmer.
Dont know much about that kayne kalache apart from getting 20’s player of year. Just have a feeling he will turn out lazy like kasiano.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Get what you're saying though saying 'this should've been the chance here to test him" really is a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face. Isn't it more about the board supporting and putting trust in him to build a team capable of winning? And to do that would be to not sign anyone and expect him to deliver with a team that's been playing rubbish for the past couple of years? New blood is always important. Agree we should've just splash it on anyone ...
I'm not saying we don't sign anyone, i'm saying we sit back and sign higher priority players when they hit the market. Pays say in our roster should also be extremely limited at this stage and still fairly limited in the future.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Young zac saddler looks promising. Looks likes hes almost same height as klemmer.
Dont know much about that kayne kalache apart from getting 20’s player of year. Just have a feeling he will turn out lazy like kasiano.
Didn't Zac miss a huge chunk of footy through injury? I do remember reading about him ages ago but have heard little since. Kalache is the chubby Eastwood looking bloke? Lol.

Novocastrian

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Didn't Zac miss a huge chunk of footy through injury? I do remember reading about him ages ago but have heard little since. Kalache is the chubby Eastwood looking bloke? Lol.
Yeah sounds about right. Just remember watching the video on him few weeks
Back and thought he could turn out to
Be good.

Snake

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can anyone else remember Napa V Souths pack. Think it was 2017. It was one of the most dominant fwd displays I’ve seen. He targeted Sam Burgess in particular and destroyed him. Hopefully Pay can bring that out more consistently in the big Dyl.

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can see sleepy... sorry Napa missing huge chunks of the season for his terrible tackling style which will no doubt go wrong again

Roosters don’t release anyone that is any good, we’ve just signed someone else’s reject for a large chunk of our very tight cap.... next we’ll be extending Montoya’s contract!!

Looking at our squad besides Jacko it’s fringe first graders, rejects & cripples
Napa will add aggression & tenacity to our pack. Characteristics missing since the days of O’Meley, Mason, Maitua, Asotasi

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Okay... so he does not seem like the smartest bloke from his interview..

But if he wants to restamp his authority as a premier prop in the NRL, there's no better club to showcase his skills.

Pay letting him play his own game will be very interesting as he does have an offload in him.

Rod67

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You know what I am a green light for some good old fashioned headhunting by our pack for 2019. We weren't gonna win shit anyway so why not take us back to the days when other packs feared us. R7 is David's debut. Would be beautiful if ginger could replicate that hit and lay old mate horizontal. I would lost my shit watching that. Don't walk away when you lay him out either ... stand over him like Spud did and tell him what dogs fans think of him.If anyone pushes you away its all in like the goddam 70's. BRING BACK THE BIFF MAN!!!!
Thanks Reg!

the_insider

Kennel Established
Reaction score
The thing is they're just prospects and props always take the longest to develop. When's the last time you saw a prop debut and make a rep team straight away? You can't just throw a bunch of kids in and hope for the best