News Bulldogs sign Matt Mundine.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Not official but it's not a rumour either..

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/867c216f957fb88f609b6039b12064c7

Dogs sign Choc’s cousin after 140kg weight battle
The Canterbury Bulldogs have signed Matt Mundine, 10 years after the former Dragons and Souths forward made the 2008 Toyota Cup team of the year.

Now 27, Mundine is managed by his cousin Anthony Mundine.

Matt’s weight ballooned to 140kg after he retired from rugby league, but he has ripped the weight off and started training at Belmore.

Anthony got him a start through his connection with board member and former coach Chris Anderson and Leagues Club chairman George Coorey.

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Not official but it's not a rumour either..

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...d/news-story/867c216f957fb88f609b6039b12064c7

Dogs sign Choc’s cousin after 140kg weight battle
The Canterbury Bulldogs have signed Matt Mundine, 10 years after the former Dragons and Souths forward made the 2008 Toyota Cup team of the year.

Now 27, Mundine is managed by his cousin Anthony Mundine.

Matt’s weight ballooned to 140kg after he retired from rugby league, but he has ripped the weight off and started training at Belmore.

Anthony got him a start through his connection with board member and former coach Chris Anderson and Leagues Club chairman George Coorey.
What's he like?

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
What's he like?
Never played first grade. From what I can see he was a promising half but wasn't disciplined enough to make it.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
So we've signed a 27 year old (previously retired) player (prop or halves apparently - yes you read that right) who once struggled to keep his weight down, has had knee (and other) injuries in the past, and hasn't played a game of first grade. Please tell me he hasn't been signed purely due to Anthonys association with Anderson and Coorey.

If we lose Klemmer and this is all we end up with.. WOW *shakes head*.

Looking around I found a few references to him. Summary of comments:
1. Great U20s player but was a bit too lazy putting in the hard yakka.
2. Lacked the hunger to leap from prodigy to professional.
3. Has good ball skills and looked a future first grader.
4. Never saw the hype around Mundine.
5. Injury prone.
6. Shithouse
7. Sluggish and Unimaginative
8. Liability in defence and doesn't get involved.
9. Great player with a good offload and tryscoring ability for a second row/prop. I guess some parallel's could be drawn to Ashton Sims at a similar age.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
A very distant memory of him...but found this albeit a few years old...

http://enacademic.com/dic.nsf/enwiki/11252004

Matt Mundine (born 23 January 1990) is an Indigenous Australian professional rugby league footballer who plays forthe South Sydney Rabbitohs. His position of choice is at Lock. Mundine has also appeared for New South WalesOrigin Under 16s side and the Indigenous Australian team.

Career
Coming off his junior club of the Earlwood Saints, Mundine was signed to a Dragons contract in 2005 and has alreadybeen called a "rare athlete with bright prospects" by the club officials. He was released by the Dragons and hassigned to play for the South Sydney Rabbitohs in 2009 after playing for the Dragons in the Toyota Cup in 2008.

He has also represented the New South Wales under 16's side in Origin as well as the Indigenous Australian nationalside.

Achievements
Matthew attends Endeavour Sports High and was the winner of the Peter Sterling Medal for man of the match in the2006 Arrive Alive Cup final. He was also named in the "Toyota Cup Team of the Year" in the Lock position while beingnominated in Best Player in Toyota Cup. He finished the season for the Toyota Cup with 107 points consisting of 7tries, 39 goals (from 64 attempts), plus 1 field goal.[1]

References
  1. ^ courtesy rleague.com
External links
v · d · eNYC Team of the Year - 2008
1. Lachlan Coote • 2. Jharal Yow Yeh • 3. Justin Carney • 4. Tony Williams • 5. Kevin Gordon • 6. Ben Barba • 7. Chris Sandow
8. Russell Packer • 9. Masada Iosefa • 10. John Kite • 11. Joel Thompson • 12. Daniel Harrison • 13. Shaun Fensom
14. Ben Hunt • 15. Matt Mundine • 16. Jordan Rapana • 17. Ben Matulino

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Never played first grade. From what I can see he was a promising half but wasn't disciplined enough to make it.
140kg blow out from a half. WoW

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
I said in other threads I'm worried about Chris Anderson being involved in recruitment. The days of signing roughies and hoping they come good is very 90's.

Save the money for decent players rather than signing 10 shit players and hoping one comes good.

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
If he did blow out to such a large size and has got himself back into good shape, that takes a fair bit of commitment.

I’ll give him a chance before getting outraged over his apparent signing... by all acounts he had talent, but the wrong attitude. If he has fixed his attitude, he may be able to make something of himself.... and I’m sure he’s not on much.

I don’t think this has anything to do with Klemmer, so I don’t know why people are bringing that sook into things.

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I think it is to keep Reimis Smith happy as he would be cousins with him , he will be the next one asking for release in a couple of years i bet

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
"Mundine is managed by his cousin Anthony Mundine."
Wow Mundine has made friends with the doggies, maybe he can be our our fitness coach?
Need to kick field goals and play the 90.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score