Legends of League Tournament - Consolidated Game Thread - BULLDOGS WON!!

Flanagun

Banned
In the Sin Bin
Reaction score
99 one game away from grand final. Lost to Melbourne

97 made the semis too
I didn’t remember us doing that well in 99! I looked it up online and it says we finished the regular season in 5th and actually lost 2 games out from the gf in the semi rather than the prelim.... but still way better than I remembered. I do remember that finals win over the roosters now I think of it.

We finished 4th in super league, but that was only a 10 team comp and apart from Brisbane and Cronulla, I think the quality of teams was pretty ordinary. Even Vanverra we’re starting their downhill slide that year. The bottom half of the ladder was filled with clubs that were either debutants or pretty weak. I don’t really consider that year much of a success, tbh.... but I’ll concede when it comes to 1999.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 one game away from grand final. Lost to Melbourne

97 made the semis too
99 pelim final.....
Ricky Stuart puts in the most stoopid cross midfield kick to a storm player in open space who runs about 80m to score ... game over.
That was Stuart's last game, I still haven't forgiven him for that, I was was riding 16k for us to win the premiership.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Mason has been asked repeatedly on social media about what club he feels aligned to and every time he confirms Bulldogs
Mason’s a bulldog, end of story!

He was given life membership of the football club at the AGM earlier this year. He stood up and accepted his membership on stage and made a really good speech about the club.

I can’t recall everything he said but a couple of things I remember him saying:

1. He said while he was playing for other clubs he wanted the bulldogs to lose, but once he retired he only supports the dogs.

2. He also said that he knows this club well and said to the members not to worry because we don’t stay down for very long and that we’ll soon be back at the top where we belong.

All respect for the big man!

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
99 pelim final.....
Ricky Stuart puts in the most stoopid cross midfield kick to a storm player in open space who runs about 80m to score ... game over.
That was Stuart's last game, I still haven't forgiven him for that, I was was riding 16k for us to win the premiership.
Yep, sitting behind the goalposts, I remember that cross field bomb to the open side very well. Sucked the oxygen out of my lungs. I remember thinking why the fuck!

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Just goes to show what a gun team we had in that era nobody beating our 35-45 year olds lol

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Yep, sitting behind the goalposts, I remember that cross field bomb to the open side very well. Sucked the oxygen out of my lungs. I remember thinking why the fuck!
I was at game too, Matt Geyer took the intercept. I didn't lose like Papa Joe but shit what a way to lose. Stuart was on his last legs but he had a good two years with us.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Still can't believe how good Patten was over the weekend. Speed, footwork, and linebreaks galore.

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Shifty should have had a few origin games with his form between 02-04 he was just unlucky he played at the same time as Johns and Kimmorley.
In 2004 they picked Brett Finch ahead of him when Joey was injured. What a travesty of justice that was. From 2002-2004 Sherwin was way better than Kimmorley.

Turvey Chip and Chase

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

He was given life membership of the football club at the AGM earlier this year. He stood up and accepted his membership on stage and made a really good speech about the club.

1. He said while he was playing for other clubs he wanted the bulldogs to lose, but once he retired he only supports the dogs.

2. He also said that he knows this club well and said to the members not to worry because we don’t stay down for very long and that we’ll soon be back at the top where we belong.

That’s your opinion of him, that’s fine, you’re probably not alone.
Don’t say end of story though. In many fans eyes he dogged us, bagged Folkes - he actually bagged him before Folkes said he wouldn’t be missed - and fucked of early in his contract for uncle nick’s dollars.

He is in SBW’s class for mine. We let good guys go at their end of their contracts to throw what we could at Ma$on and $BW. They both dogged us.

For me, he will never truly represent the club and it’s fans, and that’s end of story for me.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
That’s your opinion of him, that’s fine, you’re probably not alone.
Don’t say end of story though. In many fans eyes he dogged us, bagged Folkes - he actually bagged him before Folkes said he wouldn’t be missed - and fucked of early in his contract for uncle nick’s dollars.

He is in SBW’s class for mine. We let good guys go at their end of their contracts to throw what we could at Ma$on and $BW. They both dogged us.

For me, he will never truly represent the club and it’s fans, and that’s end of story for me.
Oh well, that's a shame.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score

Did he properly explain why he dogged the Club with 2 years to run on his contract?

Moey

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
How good was Asotasi on the weekend, he looked as fit as ever. Caused a lot of damage to opponents and always had the arm free for an offload. Klemmer should have watched and learned from him..

I remember vividly he never wanted to leave the club, all dogs had to do was offer him a contract and he would have signed on the dotted line but management was too busy chasing Myles. We ended up losing both..

Grunthos

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you think of it, we won three grand finals this year.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
99 pelim final.....
Scott the ****.

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just watched the grand final.
Some things of note;
  1. Campese is still made of glass.
  2. Mick weyman must be the only forward in history to lose weight after retiring.
  3. You know our current fg half stocks are dire, when you find yourself wishing Holdsworth was still playing.