Attn: Andersons, Hill & The Board

BushDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Sure our club's cap position is a problem, but I still see that our club has a bigger problem than all other clubs attracting and keeping players, for what ever reason. It would be nice to know if Woodford was unwanted or if he just did not want to stay at our club, in which case it would not have been wise for our board to tell us.
My other worry is Lewis if he kills it next year how long will it before he wants out, even if our club is willing to match any other clubs offer.
Pretty sure Woolford didn’t get offered a contract and was actually annoyed at the club about it

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Some multicultural days on the hill at Belmore with kebabs and Arak would be nice..

If were gonna lose games at Belmore like we did against the Tits and Raiders this year at least let the fans enjoy a decent feed & listen to drums while were at it..

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Pretty sure Woolford didn’t get offered a contract and was actually annoyed at the club about it
Woolford advised the club early in the season that he would be heading to ESL to play under his father at the end of this season.

Enter the Knights who offered him a shitload of money, and the deal was renigged on.

Punchbowl Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The Andersons will blame the old board for Klemmer and not making the finals once under their watch.

The Andersons belong at the marrivkville markets on a saturday selling chai, not running an NRL football club
Let it go Ray

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Honestly if head case Napa and Liddle are the players to take our club forward, then our recruitment and retention team have some serious issues to overcome. Why the fuck are we even considering these two wankers is beyond me.

Steve M

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Just to make it clear to whoever wants to read it, the Boards role is to ensure the correct governance of the Club; that is to make sure the people actually running it day to day are completing their tasks, that they have the processes available to them to complete those tasks and that the guidelines of the NRL are observed. They are not there to allow Klemmer to go or stay, they are not there to make sure Mad Monday goes ok, they are not there to run the Club day to day. The role of the CEO is the day to day running of the Club but he is accountable to the Board and the Board is accountable to the Footy Club Members.
So please be aware there is a chain and it is now being followed. Last year the Chairman forgot what his actual role was.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Just to make it clear to whoever wants to read it, the Boards role is to ensure the correct governance of the Club; that is to make sure the people actually running it day to day are completing their tasks, that they have the processes available to them to complete those tasks and that the guidelines of the NRL are observed. They are not there to allow Klemmer to go or stay, they are not there to make sure Mad Monday goes ok, they are not there to run the Club day to day. The role of the CEO is the day to day running of the Club but he is accountable to the Board and the Board is accountable to the Footy Club Members.
So please be aware there is a chain and it is now being followed. Last year the Chairman forgot what his actual role was.
The Andersons would still approve key signings and departures though don't they?

And with our CEO, do you believe or has he proven that he is up to the task? He started off okay but the players we're being linked with and the amounts bandied about are extremely worrying.

Especially when the majority of the fanbase have embraced the rebuild and have been patient. Just keep rebuilding and don't waste money on Napa.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
The Andersons would still approve key signings and departures though don't they?
Consulted, probably yes, it would be pretty stupid not to draw on the experience of the best coach the cane toads ever had. But recruitment ultimately should be left to the recruitment team and the coaches.

And with our CEO, do you believe or has he proven that he is up to the task? He started off okay but the players we're being linked with and the amounts bandied about are extremely worrying..
Aren't you confusing the press linking BS with what the CEO says and/or does. I don't know about you but I haven't heard anything from our CEO about who's on the list or who's not on the list. As per above, I don't think the CEO will have much say in who we recruit anyway, that's not his job

Especially when the majority of the fanbase have embraced the rebuild and have been patient. Just keep rebuilding and don't waste money on Napa.
I didn't see a lot of embracing at games last year, even when the last 6 games were a real relief from what we had been forced to endure for the last couple of years. Some (most) of the tries we scored in those games would never have happened under the previous coach. Hopefully next season a lot of the deserters will come home.

We have 12 players (out of 29) off contract at the end of next season. That gives us plenty of scope (and time) to do a decent recruitment drive, plus gives us next season to evaluate what we already have.

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Consulted, probably yes, it would be pretty stupid not to draw on the experience of the best coach the cane toads ever had. But recruitment ultimately should be left to the recruitment team and the coaches.

Aren't you confusing the press linking BS with what the CEO says and/or does. I don't know about you but I haven't heard anything from our CEO about who's on the list or who's not on the list. As per above, I don't think the CEO will have much say in who we recruit anyway, that's not his job

I didn't see a lot of embracing at games last year, even when the last 6 games were a real relief from what we had been forced to endure for the last couple of years. Some (most) of the tries we scored in those games would never have happened under the previous coach. Hopefully next season a lot of the deserters will come home.

We have 12 players (out of 29) off contract at the end of next season. That gives us plenty of scope (and time) to do a decent recruitment drive, plus gives us next season to evaluate what we already have.

Go Dogs
Dib made a huge mistake letting Hasler have carte blanche over recruitment and retention and look how it ended up.

The new regime made a point of saying they would be more hands on with recruitment and retention and it wouldn't all be down to the coach. Nor should it be. Pay might not even be coach in a year or two so why let him dictate who we sign? Obviously he has a say but if the CEO has no say then dont we just have another Raelene Castle on our hands?

The team performed admirably last season and played hard every single game bar one or two. The style of play was great at the end of the year and Pay definitely deserves praise for playing and giving the young guys confidence that Des would have released or buried in the lower grades.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dib made a huge mistake letting Hasler have carte blanche over recruitment and retention and look how it ended up.

The new regime made a point of saying they would be more hands on with recruitment and retention and it wouldn't all be down to the coach. Nor should it be. Pay might not even be coach in a year or two so why let him dictate who we sign? Obviously he has a say but if the CEO has no say then dont we just have another Raelene Castle on our hands?

The team performed admirably last season and played hard every single game bar one or two. The style of play was great at the end of the year and Pay definitely deserves praise for playing and giving the young guys confidence that Des would have released or buried in the lower grades.
Whilst I agree with the rest of your post - I have to show my doubt and concerns with what I have highlighted above.

We were already out of finals contention, we were fighting for the wooden spoon and we had a whole bunch of kids running out in our 17. That old adage of "You don't know what you're gonna get with kids" really held firm here, as the boys busted there backs off and jagged a few deserving win, and a couple of close losses.

I am extremely curious as to how Pay will play out the first few rounds of next year - because I saw a vital change in how we attack between the first and last few rounds of the 2018 season. Only time will tell, I guess.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Whilst I agree with the rest of your post - I have to show my doubt and concerns with what I have highlighted above.

We were already out of finals contention, we were fighting for the wooden spoon and we had a whole bunch of kids running out in our 17. That old adage of "You don't know what you're gonna get with kids" really held firm here, as the boys busted there backs off and jagged a few deserving win, and a couple of close losses.

I am extremely curious as to how Pay will play out the first few rounds of next year - because I saw a vital change in how we attack between the first and last few rounds of the 2018 season. Only time will tell, I guess.
Good point. We can't go back to being conservative and taking the two every time we get a penalty within range like we were the first half of the year just because it's a new season.

The shackles should remain off and that attacking mindset needs to be in place from the get go.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Please remind me who we attracted with the old board? Woods? On massive overs. Foran? A 3 time reject on massive over. Tony Williams? Massive reject on overs. Please remind me who else did we attract ? Brett Morris? He only came to play with his brother, and was also in big coin. And what are you trying to say anyway? You saying that the old board didn’t fuck us? Give the new mob some time, they only been in office what like 8/9 months. Give them a fair go and at least half the time we gave the old board that fucked us sideways
What people are not seeing is the work put in for our juniors and development system and the junior pathways we have/are creating with this new board.
We will not see the fruits of this labour until some time in the future, but what this will achieve in the future is a blood line of strong talent so that we don't find ourselves in our current predicament anymore.
These things don't happen overnight. We have got some great people in place at the club right now working around the clock. Other than the official administration and employees of the club, there are many who don't get paid for what they do or only very little to cover their travelling costs and certain expenses relating to what they do, to them it's their passion and love for the club that they do what they are doing. These people sacrifice their private time with their families to give us what we want. Have some respect for this new board.
We all mention the Andersons etc...but there are others on the board which don't get given a mention but are very valuable to our club like Mr John Khoury who is a bulldog to the bone, very intellegent person, honest and has been involved in our junior system for a very long time as far back as when some of the people on the kennel were in their nappies.
What the media don't tell you is all the work going on behind the scenes to bring us back to the top and to stay there.
Also, don't believe what the media says about player salaries. Our board is not stupid to give Napa $2m over three years, this is just media speculation designed to embelish the current media hype surrounding our club.
I'll just leave it there for now.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good point. We can't go back to being conservative and taking the two every time we get a penalty within range like we were the first half of the year just because it's a new season.

The shackles should remain off and that attacking mindset needs to be in place from the get go.
Well it was quite clear that we still suffered from Desball in the first half of the year. I think Pay had to bash it out of them for a while

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

And with our CEO, do you believe or has he proven that he is up to the task? He started off okay but the players we're being linked with and the amounts bandied about are extremely worrying.

Don't believe the media. They like stirring the pot...especially when they know our supporters take the bait every single time.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Don't believe the media. They like stirring the pot...especially when they know our supporters take the bait every single time.
I hope more than anything that the Napa thing is media speculation and we won't be signing him. But unfortunately just like Klemmer leaving, there seems to be too much smoke around Napa coming for there to be no truth to it.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I hope more than anything that the Napa thing is media speculation and we won't be signing him. But unfortunately just like Klemmer leaving, there seems to be too much smoke around Napa coming for there to be no truth to it.
Oh he's most likely comming but not at the price the media is making it out to be.

JayBee

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

With this, I 100% agree with. I am generally cautiously optimistic when it comes to the Dogs - I actually thought we could scrape into the 8 last season, but boy was I wrong.

I am feeling the game is ripe for the picking for another 2005 Tigers-like fluke season. Offloads galore, all out attack. Concede 30 points, but make sure you score 31.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Oh he's most likely comming but not at the price the media is making it out to be.
and the price is my only real concern about the napa situation.. if hes on conservative money he could be an asset ... hes really not as bad as some make out

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I actually thought we could scrape into the 8 last season, but boy was I wrong.
You weren't that wrong, the Warriors made the 8 with less than 3 points per game better for and against, Saints were less than an unconverted try better, Penrith and Brisbane were less than a converted try better. If we had won half of the games we lost by 6 points or less we would have made the 8. If next season works out the same, the same defensive plus 1 extra converted try per game gets us in the top five.

Go Dogs