Official Development players

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/20...nfirm-the-clubs-development-players-for-2019/

The Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs confirm the club's development players for 2019

The Bulldogs are pleased to announce Tui Katoa, Morgan Harper, James Roumanos and Jarred Anderson as the club's development players for this season.

Every club is allowed three to six development players every year outside of their top 30 NRL squad. The players train full-time and previously were not eligible to play first grade without an exemption from the NRL.

A change in the rule this season will allow any player on the development list to play NRL without exemption permission post June 30.

Tui Katoa, a local junior from the Chester Hill Hornets club is the brother of Cronulla Sharks winger Sione.

Katoa, a talented outside back with great speed and balance, was a member of the club's inaugural High Performance Youth Program and spent the 2018 season with the Jersey Flegg and Intrust Super Premiership teams.

Morgan Harper has been contracted to the club for five years and was also a member of the club's High Performance Youth Program in New Zealand.

A talented outside back, Morgan began the 2018 season with the club's Jersey Flegg side before finishing with the successful reserve grade team who claimed both the Intrust Super Premiership and National State Championship.

Harper was rewarded for his efforts with a spot in the Junior Kiwis team.

Jarred Anderson is in the second of a three-year deal after arriving at Belmore from the Sydney Roosters in 2018.

Anderson is a strong carrier of the ball who can play in the back row or centre and represented Scotland during the 2017 Rugby League World Cup.

The Bulldogs fourth development player James Roumanos joined the club from the Cronulla Sharks until the end of 2021.

He was a member of the Sharks Jersey Flegg team that claimed the premiership last season with a win over the Penrith Panthers.

A strong ball runner with a great work ethic, James has a connection with the club being the grandson of former Canterbury player, Kevin Brown.

All four players have started pre-season training in preparation for 2019.

JOIN THE PACK IN 2019!

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don't think being worried about the future of our club and whether the current leadership in place are doing a good enough job is rubbish.

But we can all agree that the only way we'll ever be contenders again is by building through youngsters. I'm excited to see in action.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I really think Raumanos will be quality first grader, just worry that we have too many backrowers and he may not get an opportunity. RFM, CHN, Elliot, Martin, Jackson are all still young and infront of him.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I like what I've seen from Jarred Anderson. Needs a bit of polish around the edges, but from what I've seen there are the building blocks to a quality player under the surface. Currently has a few little issues with his hands letting him down, and defence, but that's easily fixed.

I'd have liked to see Jack Nelson added to this list as well, again for the above reasons.

All these guys will benefit their games training alongisde the first grade side.

nangsta

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Good luck to these kids. Every club has kids they develop.

We will continue to battle for the spoon this year, while other clubs are building towards premierships by signing experienced coaches and players.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So have the NRL changed the restrictive and short sighted rules from last season where struggling clubs like us and Manly couldnt play certain juniors and development players because they were outside the top 30 and there were other players in their position available?

Or is it still the same as last year?

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So have the NRL changed the restrictive and short sighted rules from last season where struggling clubs like us and Manly couldnt play certain juniors and development players because they were outside the top 30 and there were other players in their position available?

Or is it still the same as last year?
After June 30 no restrictions on Development players I believe. Means that a Player Like Morgan Harper if he develops really well in the first part of the year can be brought up to First grade after June 30.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
After June 30 no restrictions on Development players I believe. Means that a Player Like Morgan Harper if he develops really well in the first part of the year can be brought up to First grade after June 30.
Cool, thanks. Thankfully they changed the rule. Seeing youngsters blooded in a lost season can only be a good thing for those clubs and the game as a whole as the experience gained in those games is priceless.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't think being worried about the future of our club and whether the current leadership in place are doing a good enough job is rubbish.

But we can all agree that the only way we'll ever be contenders again is by building through youngsters. I'm excited to see in action.
Thats pretty hypocritical after your last thread dont you think?

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thats pretty hypocritical after your last thread dont you think?
We should be rebuilding through young talent. But it would have been better if we secured some of the better prospects. Unfortunately a lot of them have re-signed, will stay where they are for now or signed elsewhere.

Cogger (last admins signing) and Chrichton don't seem like first graders to me. Meaney and CHN are good signings as is Sue on the cheap.

But we also lost rep players and a lot of experience which will test the squad.

I hope we don't sign Napa as that money could be used for more highly rated youngsters or a better established player that becomes available who would represent better value for money.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We should be rebuilding through young talent. But it would have been better if we secured some of the better prospects. Unfortunately a lot of them have re-signed, will stay where they are for now or signed elsewhere.

Cogger (last admins signing) and Chrichton don't seem like first graders to me. Meaney and CHN are good signings as is Sue on the cheap.

But we also lost rep players and a lot of experience which will test the squad.

I hope we don't sign Napa as that money could be used for more highly rated youngsters or a better established player that becomes available who would represent better value for money.
The morris' were no longer rep players, mbye never was, and woods somehow jagged an australian jumper this year.
Cogger was Pay's signing as he had coached him in junior rep teams and thinks he has a bright future.
I totally agree with Pay and the boards thinking that the only way out of the mess we are in is through youth. This is where the previous board totally missed the point!!!
There may have been better young players available, but just because they were available it doesnt mean they had any intentions of leaving their clubs. People assume that every available player is signable, but this is very rarely the case as there are many factors involved when a contract is offered.
Personally, i will have faith that the coach knows what he is doing as im sure he knows a hell of a lot more about football then i do.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The morris' were no longer rep players, mbye never was, and woods somehow jagged an australian jumper this year.
Cogger was Pay's signing as he had coached him in junior rep teams and thinks he has a bright future.
I totally agree with Pay and the boards thinking that the only way out of the mess we are in is through youth. This is where the previous board totally missed the point!!!
There may have been better young players available, but just because they were available it doesnt mean they had any intentions of leaving their clubs. People assume that every available player is signable, but this is very rarely the case as there are many factors involved when a contract is offered.
Personally, i will have faith that the coach knows what he is doing as im sure he knows a hell of a lot more about football then i do.
The problem is all of our players seem available, even the ones we want to keep! Contracts are worth nothing and if a big money offer comes in, then clubs generally don't stand in their way as the player becomes disgruntled.

If we make bigger offers to guys like Drinkwater at Melbourne or Luia and others at Penrith (if not them, players in the same situation) who have rep players in front of them and no clear path to fg for a year or two then that's when our cap space will come in handy to swoop.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The problem is all of our players seem available, even the ones we want to keep! Contracts are worth nothing and if a big money offer comes in, then clubs generally don't stand in their way as the player becomes disgruntled.

If we make bigger offers to guys like Drinkwater at Melbourne or Luia and others at Penrith (if not them, players in the same situation) who have rep players in front of them and no clear path to fg for a year or two then that's when our cap space will come in handy to swoop.
I agree. A contract really does seem to mean nothing these days. At least to some clubs.
The bigger picture problem we are facing now is that if too many players break contract, then it will become a case where no club or player will even respect the contract. So for me, i think its better to not approach contracted players and entice them away. Its actually against the NRL rules anyway.
The NRL just need to put their useless foot down and just say no!!! You can not break a contract.

Or how about this, if players seem to be able to constantly break their contracts, then the NRL should just allow clubs to reduce a players contract salary in accordance with their performances. I mean if a player can break his contract for a pay rise at another club when they are at the peak of their game, a club should be able to downgrade a player when he is not playing up to standard.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Or how about this, if players seem to be able to constantly break their contracts, then the NRL should just allow clubs to reduce a players contract salary in accordance with their performances. I mean if a player can break his contract for a pay rise at another club when they are at the peak of their game, a club should be able to downgrade a player when he is not playing up to standard.
Poor Michael Lichaa would end up paying the club to play if that was the case.