News Raiders Jack Wighton in nightclub incident - Update: Suspended Sentence and Fine.

Should the Bulldogs sign him?

• Yes

• No

• No, the Roosters still have $20M in their salary cap & can rehabilitate him

Results are only viewable after voting.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I hope he doesn't get a slap on hands by courts, but given he's trying his hand at the indigenous court I bet he gets a fine or some bullshit.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I hope he doesn't get a slap on hands by courts, but given he's trying his hand at the indigenous court I bet he gets a fine or some bullshit.
Massive cop out. I have some good friends who are indigenous and even they can't help but think that the reason he is taking this particular route is because they will go 'easy' on him. Will be very interesting to see exactly how he is punished.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Vision a bad look for Jack, Raiders and the game
News that CCTV footage will be released next month of Jack Wighton’s drunken rampage and unprovoked attacks in central Canberra is something the NRL and Raiders were dreading.

The police facts tendered in court claim that Wighton headbutted and punched a man leaning on a shop window. He then was involved in at least two other altercations before urinating on a road. In June, Wighton, 25, pleaded guilty in the ACT Magistrates Court to two charges of assault occasioning actual bodily harm, three counts of common assault and one charge of public urination.

Those who have seen the video say one of the attacks could have been particularly serious, as one of the victims was hit, bounced off a shop window but did not hit the ground.

The Raiders pushed for a six-week ban. The NRL intervened and raised that to 10 weeks and a $30,000 fine.

The public will soon have the opportunity to determine who got it right when the footage is released following sentencing.

I bet he gets fuck all out of it. Remember he's played the indigenous card and is going to the indigenous court.

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
$30,000 fine and 10 week suspension for assaulting someone, yet getting nude is $250,000...

So what they’re saying, is that I could get drunk, send a random person some nudes, get in my car and drive, and then bash someone, and I would still have to pay the NRL less than the halved fine the Bulldogs received?

I’m in.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
D-Day for Wighton as he faces sentencing tomorrow.

Remember he's being seen in front of some Koori court bullshit because he's one poofteenth Aboriginal, so they might go really soft on him.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/raider...-assault/ed205619-69e6-477e-8287-ed78f6762f7b

The rugby league future of Canberra star Jack Wighton could be decided on Wednesday when he is sentenced for his drunken rampage earlier this year. In June, Wighton pleaded guilty to two charges of assault occasioning bodily harm, three counts of common assault, and one charge of public urination.

After viewing CCTV footage, the NRL overruled the Raiders' initial proposed suspension of six NRL games and banned Wighton for ten matches. He was also fined $30,000 in a decision that infuriated club officials, who unsuccessfully sought a reduction in the penalty in August.

Now Wighton's fate hangs in the balance, with footage of his February assaults in Canberra set to be made public despite attempts by his lawyers to suppress the vision last month. The footage reportedly shows the 25-year-old headbutting a man, punching another, and attacking a further three men ten minutes later.

The maximum penalty for assault occasioning actual bodily harm is five years in jail, while common assault also carries a possible two years behind bars. A jail sentence for Wighton would further cruel a Raiders side that has already lost star winger Jordan Rapana for six months after suffering a shoulder injury playing for New Zealand.

Here's my guess:
Koori Court - 2 years good behaviour bond, section 10 no conviction recorded, xx hours community service, and payment to victims.
Real Court with a decent magistrate - 3 years prison with 12 month non parole period and payment to victims.

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
D-Day for Wighton as he faces sentencing tomorrow.

Remember he's being seen in front of some Koori court bullshit because he's one poofteenth Aboriginal, so they might go really soft on him.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/nrl/raider...-assault/ed205619-69e6-477e-8287-ed78f6762f7b

The rugby league future of Canberra star Jack Wighton could be decided on Wednesday when he is sentenced for his drunken rampage earlier this year. In June, Wighton pleaded guilty to two charges of assault occasioning bodily harm, three counts of common assault, and one charge of public urination.

After viewing CCTV footage, the NRL overruled the Raiders' initial proposed suspension of six NRL games and banned Wighton for ten matches. He was also fined $30,000 in a decision that infuriated club officials, who unsuccessfully sought a reduction in the penalty in August.

Now Wighton's fate hangs in the balance, with footage of his February assaults in Canberra set to be made public despite attempts by his lawyers to suppress the vision last month. The footage reportedly shows the 25-year-old headbutting a man, punching another, and attacking a further three men ten minutes later.

The maximum penalty for assault occasioning actual bodily harm is five years in jail, while common assault also carries a possible two years behind bars. A jail sentence for Wighton would further cruel a Raiders side that has already lost star winger Jordan Rapana for six months after suffering a shoulder injury playing for New Zealand.

Here's my guess:
Koori Court - 2 years good behaviour bond, section 10 no conviction recorded, xx hours community service, and payment to victims.
Real Court with a decent magistrate - 3 years prison with 12 month non parole period and payment to victims.
Galambany Court and i work with his family, can confirm he is alot more than a poofteenth Aboriginal

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Galambany Court and i work with his family, can confirm he is alot more than a poofteenth Aboriginal
Either way, unless the victims are Aboriginal it shouldn't apply. He should be sentenced like everyone else.

And he sure as shit isn't 1/2 or 1/4 Aboriginal, so what is it 1/8th? 1/16th? 1/32nd?

I've got some Aboriginal within members of my family but I'd consider it a poofteenth.... and that's like grandparents level.

hayes

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Well it doesn't matter if his aboriginal or not what evidence in court and his any priors in sentence is what should be taken in account.
The most in hearing should be if he rehabilitation back society and give back to the community.

Otherwise just shoot everyone when they fuck up their life and people around them. A lot of people make mistakes in life

I've work with and have leadership who fuck up in life. Who have contributed enormously to the society you live in.

sideswip

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Alot of people make mistakes and Go directly to Jail as well ! As should this Grub.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
The biggest question should be why there is a separate arm of the justice system reserved for people of a different race.

Sounds entirely racist to me.

Anyone with some common sense viewing a photo of Jack Wighton on google would laugh at someone who told them he was aboriginal.

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Almost as bad as Elizabeth Warren in the States claiming that she's native american.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
The biggest question should be why there is a separate arm of the justice system reserved for people of a different race.

Sounds entirely racist to me.

Anyone with some common sense viewing a photo of Jack Wighton on google would laugh at someone who told them he was aboriginal.
Aboriginal Courts should only ever be an option to the victim/suspect in the instace of:
a) the victim being Aboriginal and opting to have the matter heard by tribal decision, rather than law courts.
b) the suspect having direct aboriginal heritage by way of parents or grandparents (i.e 25 or 50% Aboriginal) - because it could then be argued their customs growing up were that of aboriginal tribes, not of Australian law and customs.

Anything outside that and it's straight to the law courts.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
WHAT AN ABSOLUTE COP OUT!!!

Has been handed down a $3500 fine and 2 MONTH suspended jail sentence.

Canberra star Jack Wighton told the court he likes a drink but doesn’t think he has a drinking problem, as he prepared for sentencing over violent alcohol-fuelled rampage
Surely the DPP will appeal such a sentence (in particular once the CCTV surfaces in public).

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
Aboriginal Courts should only ever be an option to the victim/suspect in the instace of:
a) the victim being Aboriginal and opting to have the matter heard by tribal decision, rather than law courts.
b) the suspect having direct aboriginal heritage by way of parents or grandparents (i.e 25 or 50% Aboriginal) - because it could then be argued their customs growing up were that of aboriginal tribes, not of Australian law and customs.

Anything outside that and it's straight to the law courts.
Does that mean when we accept people from other cultures around the world as immigrants, that they have the right to say they don't recognise our justice system and demand a separate court be established?

Dawgfather

Banned
Reaction score
rhetorical question btw.

I just dispute the validity of allowing different courts for different people based on their race.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score