Attn: Andersons, Hill & The Board

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
Btrainben. Awesome post. Wel written. I hope you actually email it to members@bulldogs.com.au
Bulldogs09 do you think emails actually go through to members@bulldogs.com.au ?

It's a genuine question because I have emailed questions and other stuff to that address and heard jack shit back.

I ended up sending hard copy stuff to the Clubs PO Box.

Perhaps others have fared better than me with emails.

M4cca

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
In a vacuum, releasing the Morrises is fine considering their age.

Releasing Mbye and Woods is fine as they were overrated and overpaid.

Releasing Klemmer is fine considering what Newcastle want to pay him. But to not get compensation would be disastrous and inexcusable.

Replacing who we let go of with mediocre signings is what irritates me. Souths signed Dillon from Cronulla who would be way cheaper and better than Napa and also that boom fullback from Brisbane. Penrith keep their best youngsters and we end up with Chricton. Again, that's poor cap management.

CHN and Meaney look to be good signings and I think Sue on the cheap could be good but the rest inspire no confidence.

You can't tell me that with Klemmers money that we couldn't make a run at Shaun Johnson? If Canberra can be in the running for him then surely we can?

If not, then keep rebuilding. But not with guys like Napa.
Guys like mbye, woods and the morris boys were always gonna be replaced with lesser names to ease our cap situation and the club made that very clear.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thug is exactly what we need at the dogs. Willie was never a clean, soft player. Reynolds was never not a grub. And ennis was always in opponents’ faces. If napa uses his head or two in tackles i say that is worth 600k a year
Yeah but the difference is Willie made heaps of metres and had lots of skill and scored tries.

Aside from head hunting and mistiming shoulder charges, Napa displays none of the above. If we replace Klemmer with a prop, it can't be for a guy who makes half the metres and had even less skill. It should be for a skillful prop who offers something that Klemmer and Napa don't or for more youngsters at any position.

Fonua Blake should be our main prop target and would probably be cheaper than Napa.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
On the Klemmer scenario, I'm not convinced that he wants to leave just for money. If we offered him the $ame as Newcastle, whatever that is, I still think he would be pussy whipped into leaving. NRL players earning years are not very long and they have to maximise their potential in that short time frame. At the end of their careers hard hitting NRL prop forwards trend not to be all that employable, especially ones without media skill sets. So I don't disrespect them for earning the money while they can. But over his playing career I believe Klemmer would do very well staying at the Bulldogs. He would also do much better when his playing days are over than he would in Newcastle, where they will just chuck him on the scrap heap like any other "import". The same for his family, there are much better education and job prospects in the Sydney for his kids.

The "only for the money" rap just doesn't stack up for me, his wife and possibly in laws are the reason he is being pushed into looking at Newcastle. That's where I am directing my vitriol.

Go Dogs

RookieDog

Dogs1
Reaction score
After taking control of the club last season and vowing to correct the mistakes of Dib, Castle and Hasler, it seems that so far your administration is making the same, if not worse mistakes with regards to recruitment and retention. Nothing your administration has done has made the fans feel at ease and the circus has only gotten worse, not better.

As fans we all appreciate the poor cap situation you were handed, we all understand patience is required and we are willing to wait a year or two for the rebuild. Almost everyone was happy to see the previous administration gone and everyone has given your administration all the benefit of the doubt.

However, when our club releases numerous rep players and replaced them with nothing but reserve graders or so-so signings that may pan out then the fanbase will get restless.

You can't let go of current and former rep players in Brett and Josh Morris, Klemmer, Woods and Mbye and replace them with Meaney, Crichton, Sue, Napa and Cogger and expect us to support your regime blindly.

We all understand some players had to go, but you can't replace rep players with reserve graders and tie up what precious little cap space is left on more dead weight.

Instead of finding new homes for Foran, Tolman and Lichaa, the club releases the only players who had any value amd our roster now has more holes and question marks than when you took over.

And also, not standing up to the NRL for their absurd fine that we wouldn't have to pay a cent of if we contested it properly just alienated the fanbase further. This is a corrupt, uneven competition where the Premiers find a way to sign more rep players while a bottom four club like us has to let go of our rep players just to squeeze in some reserve graders. Again, question the NRL and salary cap and TPA's and show some leadership like other strong clubs would!

We used to be a strong club and the hope was that when your regime took over, we would become one again.

But your administration keeps the fans in the dark just as much as the previous one, listens to the fanbase as little as the previous one and shows less ambition than the previous one.

Don't sign Napa or more rejects and start building properly by poaching the best youngsters from other clubs, not the ninth best prospect at that position or players they're happy to release.

You're losing fans and memberships fast and before long, your necks will be on the line and another new regime will come in if things don't improve and you don't start making sound decisions that will improve the club, not set us back another three years.
Great post. I agree with all you wrote and thanks for the effort putting it together.

As to your point about fans losing interest, I got 4 platinum season tickets for 2019 just to give it one last go. I had the same 4 tickets this year (and have had for many years before) but could barely raise the interest to go to games the last few years.

So since I bought the 2019 tickets all this shit with Klemmer has unfolded and I actually feel like returing my 2019 tickets and asking for a refund. That's on the basis that the team is not going to be what I paid to see.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
After taking control of the club last season and vowing to correct the mistakes of Dib, Castle and Hasler, it seems that so far your administration is making the same, if not worse mistakes with regards to recruitment and retention. Nothing your administration has done has made the fans feel at ease and the circus has only gotten worse, not better.

As fans we all appreciate the poor cap situation you were handed, we all understand patience is required and we are willing to wait a year or two for the rebuild. Almost everyone was happy to see the previous administration gone and everyone has given your administration all the benefit of the doubt.

However, when our club releases numerous rep players and replaced them with nothing but reserve graders or so-so signings that may pan out then the fanbase will get restless.

You can't let go of current and former rep players in Brett and Josh Morris, Klemmer, Woods and Mbye and replace them with Meaney, Crichton, Sue, Napa and Cogger and expect us to support your regime blindly.

We all understand some players had to go, but you can't replace rep players with reserve graders and tie up what precious little cap space is left on more dead weight.

Instead of finding new homes for Foran, Tolman and Lichaa, the club releases the only players who had any value amd our roster now has more holes and question marks than when you took over.

And also, not standing up to the NRL for their absurd fine that we wouldn't have to pay a cent of if we contested it properly just alienated the fanbase further. This is a corrupt, uneven competition where the Premiers find a way to sign more rep players while a bottom four club like us has to let go of our rep players just to squeeze in some reserve graders. Again, question the NRL and salary cap and TPA's and show some leadership like other strong clubs would!

We used to be a strong club and the hope was that when your regime took over, we would become one again.

But your administration keeps the fans in the dark just as much as the previous one, listens to the fanbase as little as the previous one and shows less ambition than the previous one.

Don't sign Napa or more rejects and start building properly by poaching the best youngsters from other clubs, not the ninth best prospect at that position or players they're happy to release.

You're losing fans and memberships fast and before long, your necks will be on the line and another new regime will come in if things don't improve and you don't start making sound decisions that will improve the club, not set us back another three years.
Let me say that sometimes we react to things without knowing facts... you say,

1. "Nothing your administration has done has made the fans feel at ease".
Wow, your a hard marker. This board has brought our cap back to a respectable position within twelve months when it was said it could take three years. They had to release these "rep" players to do so who I must say showed no leadership and wanted out anyway. We had to start from the bottom again even if it means replacing them with reserve graders. What's wrong with that when our reserves won the comp not to mention how our NRL side finished the year with so called reserve graders? We asked for Steve Georgallis to be rewarded for winning the ISP, the board promote him to assistant coach along with bringing back Tony Ayoub High Performance Manager.

2. "Instead of finding new homes for Foran, Tolman and Lichaa"..how do you know they weren't offered to leave? Why would Tolman and Foran leave when they are earning $800k - $1m? Who would take them on, on those $$? Don't you remember this board inherited this? So your point is not valid, sorry.

3. "And also, not standing up to the NRL for their absurd fine"....again your point is not valid and this statement backs my reasons...
The NRL on Tuesday said they had reduced the Bulldogs’ fine to $125,000 after taking into account the club’s submission.
"The clubs submissions". This means the club did stand up and argue the hefty fine which was reduced from $250k. Oh, and your blaming the Bulldogs Board for the unevenness of the comp and cap? WTF!! Show us proof other clubs are showing "leadership"? It's not the Boards problem Des and Did paid overs for fringe players on backended deals that no other clubs want which resulted in us having to release our top players to be cap compliant. Yes Morris', Mbye (not top line) Woods (oh please!)

You don't speak for all fans I can tell you that as most are accepting that we have to rebuild that may take a few years but we have to suck it up. If players such as Klemmer want to leave, I say go now! That's not a board issue, that's an individual's choice who wants to look after himself and he doesn't give two shit about you, me, the fans or the club. Good luck to him. But before you go blaming it on the Board have a look at the big picture and be realistic.

Your negativity towards the Board is unwarranted and if you can't give them and the club the support that is required by all fans then don't support them. Your not much different to those players who decided they no longer want to wear the Blue and White....Hypocritical I say.

Go the Dogs in good times and in bad.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bulldogs09 do you think emails actually go through to members@bulldogs.com.au ?

It's a genuine question because I have emailed questions and other stuff to that address and heard jack shit back.

I ended up sending hard copy stuff to the Clubs PO Box.

Perhaps others have fared better than me with emails.
Send a fax bro

That’s how far behind the times we are as a club

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

Wow, your a hard marker. This board has brought our cap back to a respectable position within twelve months when it was said it could take three years. They had to release these "rep" players to do so who I must say showed no leadership and wanted out anyway. We had to start from the bottom again even if it means replacing them with reserve graders. What's wrong with that when our reserves won the comp not to mention how our NRL side finished the year with so called reserve graders? We asked for Steve Georgallis to be rewarded for winning the ISP, the board promote him to assistant coach along with bringing back Tony Ayoub High Performance Manager.

2. "Instead of finding new homes for Foran, Tolman and Lichaa"..how do you know they weren't offered to leave? Why would Tolman and Foran leave when they are earning $800k - $1m? Who would take them on, on those $$? Don't you remember this board inherited this? So your point is not valid, sorry.

3. "And also, not standing up to the NRL for their absurd fine"....again your point is not valid and this statement backs my reasons...
The NRL on Tuesday said they had reduced the Bulldogs’ fine to $125,000 after taking into account the club’s submission.
"The clubs submissions". This means the club did stand up and argue the hefty fine which was reduced from $250k. Oh, and your blaming the Bulldogs Board for the unevenness of the comp and cap? WTF!! Show us proof other clubs are showing "leadership"? It's not the Boards problem Des and Did paid overs for fringe players on backended deals that no other clubs want which resulted in us having to release our top players to be cap compliant. Yes Morris', Mbye (not top line) Woods (oh please!)

You don't speak for all fans I can tell you that as most are accepting that we have to rebuild that may take a few years but we have to suck it up. If players such as Klemmer want to leave, I say go now! That's not a board issue, that's an individual's choice who wants to look after himself and he doesn't give two shit about you, me, the fans or the club. Good luck to him. But before you go blaming it on the Board have a look at the big picture and be realistic.

Your negativity towards the Board is unwarranted and if you can't give them and the club the support that is required by all fans then don't support them. Your not much different to those players who decided they no longer want to wear the Blue and White....Hypocritical I say.

You were probably all sweet with Des as our coach too..

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

1: We've released over $3 million worth of talent and replaced them with CHN as the headline player. How is that a great job? I understand the horrible hand they were dealt, but signing guys like Cogger for three years or potentially Napa for three years makes no sense when that just limits our cap flexibility all over again on average players.

You also failed to mention that the club is paying part of Mbyes and Woods' salaries which is the same problem that Dib, Des and Castle did with Graham.

2: I mentioned about seventeen times that they inherited this mess. But if Manly have ANY interest in Foran, then they should find a way to make a deal happen.

I'm sure if we are interested In Napa then other clubs would gladly take Tolman who is much better than Napa. Lichaa should never have been re-signed and no one will take him. But at least find another hooker instead of not signing anyone else this whole time!

3: Accepting a 125k fine for paparazzi invasion of privacy where it's illegal to take nude photos of someone without their consent isn't good leadership.

Especially when Brisbane got no fine for letting a banned official (Andrew Gee) in their coaching box when the NRL told them not to.

Or when Cronulla get no fine or points taken off for blatantly cheating the cap.

Or when Merrin was nude on video at the club's grounds in front of officials and media and get no fine. Nor did Burgess for his incident.

So why is it great leadership when we accept a 125k fine with another 125k suspended after we already fined the shit out of Elliott and co and accepted some responsibility and showed remorse. What about the other above situations???

Don't ever question my support or loyalty. I wouldn't be putting up with years of the club spiralling into oblivion while other clubs pass us by if I wasn't loyal or passionate

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
looks like until our club gets back to the top, we are going to have to deal with the outrage merchants that live in in a world of unrealistic ideals ....

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
The NRL is a communist regime .. the sooner people realise that, sooner they will realise our hands are tied in a lot of areas.. Rage against the machine doesn't help anyone

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
looks like until our club gets back to the top, we are going to have to deal with the outrage merchants that live in in a world of unrealistic ideals ....
I for one was happy with how hard the team played last year in trying circumstances.

I've said a million times I knew and still know we're on a rebuild and don't expect a premiership any time soon.

However, I also don't see the current moves this admin has made as a step in the right direction, especially Napa.

Please don't make sweeping generalisations about people not being true fans or expecting to win the comp every season just because we dare to voice our opinion.

You talk about the NRL being a communist regime, you make it seem like you want our fans to be serfs and peasants and never speak out against the club when we're the ones that keep it alive!

DoggyStyla

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually think the board has done a great job.. Exception of Lichia our spine looks damaging.. We need Lichia to play like he did for the Sharks, and we will have a good season.. I think once’s Meany finds his feet he will be one of the best fullbacks in the comp.. our forwards are tough and loosing Klem for Napa is same same in my book.. You are all acting like Klem has pace and a mad step and great offload.. He is a battering ram and that’s about all he has in his game.. RFM will will have a stand out year also.. Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
For the most part last year I was supportive of the board aside from a few of the signings. I was extremely patient and supportive of the team as they played hard every week with limited talent and lots of distractions and I think they made the fans proud each week which was more than what happened the year before under Hasbeen.

In regards to Napa, why not hold tight, save the cap space for if a better player becomes available later in the year or for some young prospects?

This just seems like a kneejerk desperation move to try and appease the fans with a known name but it will probably anger the fans even more.

Lots of fans are turning against each other and think the ones complaining are impatient or unreasonable but I bet you most that are frustrated are willing to ride out the rebuild but we have to do it the right way.

I fear signings like this will deplete any cap flexibility and prevent us from signing a better proven player or prospect.

If that makes me a horrible supporter In some other fans eyes then so be it but I've spent enough money on this club and supported them for 30 years to be entitled to an opinion.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
We've released over $3 million worth of talent and replaced them with CHN as the headline player. How is that a great job?
As I see it was a great job that we were able to replace them with anyone. All of the $3m in 2018//2019 contracts had to go just to get salary cap compliant, it wasn't $3m out and then $2m in, it was $3m out and nothing in. In that situation getting CHN in was one great piece of cap management and it's been audited by the NRL.

Of course we would all like it to have been better, but so far the Recruitment Team and the Coach have done pretty well. I'm not a believer that the Board should have much to do with player recruitment, although I'm quite OK with them consulting Anderson (the best coach Qld ever had). Just as long as the right people actually make the decisions in the end, because ultimately they are responsible for the team on the field.

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
As I see it was a great job that we were able to replace them with anyone. All of the $3m in 2018//2019 contracts had to go just to get salary cap compliant, it wasn't $3m out and then $2m in, it was $3m out and nothing in. In that situation getting CHN in was one great piece of cap management and it's been audited by the NRL.

Of course we would all like it to have been better, but so far the Recruitment Team and the Coach have done pretty well. I'm not a believer that the Board should have much to do with player recruitment, although I'm quite OK with them consulting Anderson (the best coach Qld ever had). Just as long as the right people actually make the decisions in the end, because ultimately they are responsible for the team on the field.

Go Dogs
I'm a fan of CHN and think they did well to get him, even if second row probably is our strongest position.

Some people see comments questioning the board and think everything is negative. I'm not writing this board off, I'm just saying that they have to handle this Klemmer saga and his replacement the right way and did a poor job with copping the 125k fine.

I'm not happy with the Napa signing. If he is coming, I hope it's for half what is reported.

Like anyone, once they play we'll get behind whoever is out there and support them but Napa to me is a desperation signing when there are better options out there now or in the future.

Chriso86

Waterboy
Reaction score
I think the board is doing ok, yes we are paying some contracts elsewhere but it has relieve pressure for an early rebuild, as for Napa its a no from me, yeah he's an ok player but I would keep the cap space from klemmer, promote Ogden and toomaga let them have a crack at being top dogs, yes they are raw but a lot of talent we see these days seem to thrive early, give them the confidence in themselves that we believe in them, as always go the bulldogs no matter what.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
there are better options out there now or in the future.
I'm not a Nappa fan, far from it, but for 2019 who? Who is a better front row option right now?

I don't have a crystal ball so the future isn't revealed to me, but a quick scan of the quality front rowers at other clubs doesn't give me much confidence for 2020 let alone 2019. As for young and up and coming, unlike some positions quality NRL front rowers don't usually just suddenly appear from the lower grades. They need to time to mature into the role.

Go Dogs

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I'm not a Nappa fan, far from it, but for 2019 who? Who is a better front row option right now?

I don't have a crystal ball so the future isn't revealed to me, but a quick scan of the quality front rowers at other clubs doesn't give me much confidence for 2020 let alone 2019. As for young and up and coming, unlike some positions quality NRL front rowers don't usually just suddenly appear from the lower grades. They need to time to mature into the role.

Go Dogs
Lots of other starting and bench props. It's hard to say who's available or not as contracts mean nothing. Napa isn't off contract either I don't think.

We should demand Herman Eseese back from Newcastle for Klemmer for starters.

Other guys to target should be Fonua Blake, Taupau, even Merrin who I don't rate that much is available but offers so much more than Napa and would probably cost the same. Taukeaho is rotting on the Roosters bench and is way better than Napa and would cost less.

Add guys like Eisenhuth, Twal, Fotuaika, Dillon and others and you can see that there are plenty of young props who have come on in the last year or two as rookies and been great. So it can be done, we just have to find the right ones.

I liked what I saw from Renouf and Ogden so if prefer we build from within and get full value out of Tolman if we're stuck with him and save the money for other positions and players.

We need a dummy half more than anything.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1: We've released over $3 million worth of talent and replaced them with CHN as the headline player. How is that a great job? I understand the horrible hand they were dealt, but signing guys like Cogger for three years or potentially Napa for three years makes no sense when that just limits our cap flexibility all over again on average players.

You also failed to mention that the club is paying part of Mbyes and Woods' salaries which is the same problem that Dib, Des and Castle did with Graham.

2: I mentioned about seventeen times that they inherited this mess. But if Manly have ANY interest in Foran, then they should find a way to make a deal happen.

I'm sure if we are interested In Napa then other clubs would gladly take Tolman who is much better than Napa. Lichaa should never have been re-signed and no one will take him. But at least find another hooker instead of not signing anyone else this whole time!

3: Accepting a 125k fine for paparazzi invasion of privacy where it's illegal to take nude photos of someone without their consent isn't good leadership.

Especially when Brisbane got no fine for letting a banned official (Andrew Gee) in their coaching box when the NRL told them not to.

Or when Cronulla get no fine or points taken off for blatantly cheating the cap.

Or when Merrin was nude on video at the club's grounds in front of officials and media and get no fine. Nor did Burgess for his incident.

So why is it great leadership when we accept a 125k fine with another 125k suspended after we already fined the shit out of Elliott and co and accepted some responsibility and showed remorse. What about the other above situations???

Don't ever question my support or loyalty. I wouldn't be putting up with years of the club spiralling into oblivion while other clubs pass us by if I wasn't loyal or passionate
You keep banging on about Cogger signing for 3 years as reason for board being shit . You need to get facts right

You do realise he was a DIB signing . Signed in January and board elections in February .

Instead of blaming the board for everything , be patient on the rebuild of club . They are building from bottom up again and also need to properly manage cap with money being spent in appropriate positions and players .

Also there is only so much fighting you can do do against the NRL and news limited . Push too hard they will investigate salary cap and I guarantee there is skeletons or they can get the club on dodgy TPA. Every club has broken then rule to some degree , it comes down to whom the nrl lords (news limited) want the NRL to punish so they can drive newspaper sales .