News Mark Geyer hits out at contract saga in wake of coaching circus and David Klemmer’s Knights approach

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
MARK Geyer believes players and coaches should be sanctioned by the NRL for breaking contracts.

In the wake of the coaching merry-go-round and David Klemmer’s reported move to the Knights, Geyer believes it is time for the NRL to take action.

“We’ve got to start having consequences for breaking contracts,” Geyer told Triple M.

“Say if David Klemmer hypothetically signs with the Knights, then there has to be monetary compensation for the Bulldogs similar to what Penrith have done with maguire’s contract at the Tigers, or players need to sit out for a period of time.”

The Knights are set to poach Klemmer, despite the fact he has two years remaining on his Bulldogs’ contract.

Geyer believes it is the fans that are getting short-changed by the constant moves being made, despite contracts being in place.

“No one is scared to break contracts anymore and after what we have just seen in the with the coaches it is open slather,” Geyer said.

“What is a contract worth these days? Nothing. We used to be scared shitless of breaking contracts back in the day.

“It was valuable. I’ve still got my first contract locked away in a safe, that’s how much it meant to me. The 200 thousand I signed for in my very first year in 1985.

“Contracts these days aren’t worth anything. I don’t understand what the NRL are doing by not coming down hard on people who are breaking contracts.”

Klemmer’s reported move comes right on the heels of the coaching merry-go-round that saw five clubs get new coaches in the space of a couple of weeks.

Des Hasler signed with Manly, Ivan Cleary went to Penrith, Michael Maguire went to the Tigers, Wayne Bennett signed with the Rabbitohs for 2020 and Anthony Seibold will move to the Broncos, with both appointments a possibility of being brought forward.

Geyer believes it is a bad look for the game and action must be taken to deter coaches and players from jumping ship.

“We’ve just witnessed a shambles with the coaches,” Geyer said.

“We’ve witnessed something that we have never seen before and we should never see it again because the NRL should bring in some type of sanctions that don’t allow this to happen ever again.

“The Tigers just got their hearts torn out because they believed in Ivan Cleary.

“Souths thought Seibold would be there coach for the next 10 years and all of a sudden he is going to Brisbane after one year.

“You’ve got to have consequences if you break that written deal.”

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...h/news-story/506fa18045cbb67701524895615b93f1

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Where is Greenberg in all of this? Seems like he's just sitting back and watching. We need a CEO with balls to take a stand against players walking out mid contract.
He's just living the high life "doing brunch" and drinking coffee while the game he is charged to protect destroys itself from within and without! Worst RL boss ever and weak as piss! It's an unfunny circus with no entertainment.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Where is Greenberg in all of this? Seems like he's just sitting back and watching. We need a CEO with balls to take a stand against players walking out mid contract.
Greenturd don't care.. controversy = $$$$$

Freakzilla

Kennel Immortal
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
SC H2H Champion
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
We need a transfer/trade period like the AFL. No swapping of clubs is allowed by any player outside the transfer window.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
MARK Geyer believes players and coaches should be sanctioned by the NRL for breaking contracts.

In the wake of the coaching merry-go-round and David Klemmer’s reported move to the Knights, Geyer believes it is time for the NRL to take action.

“We’ve got to start having consequences for breaking contracts,” Geyer told Triple M.

“Say if David Klemmer hypothetically signs with the Knights, then there has to be monetary compensation for the Bulldogs similar to what Penrith have done with maguire’s contract at the Tigers, or players need to sit out for a period of time.”

The Knights are set to poach Klemmer, despite the fact he has two years remaining on his Bulldogs’ contract.

Geyer believes it is the fans that are getting short-changed by the constant moves being made, despite contracts being in place.

“No one is scared to break contracts anymore and after what we have just seen in the with the coaches it is open slather,” Geyer said.

“What is a contract worth these days? Nothing. We used to be scared shitless of breaking contracts back in the day.

“It was valuable. I’ve still got my first contract locked away in a safe, that’s how much it meant to me. The 200 thousand I signed for in my very first year in 1985.

“Contracts these days aren’t worth anything. I don’t understand what the NRL are doing by not coming down hard on people who are breaking contracts.”

Klemmer’s reported move comes right on the heels of the coaching merry-go-round that saw five clubs get new coaches in the space of a couple of weeks.

Des Hasler signed with Manly, Ivan Cleary went to Penrith, Michael Maguire went to the Tigers, Wayne Bennett signed with the Rabbitohs for 2020 and Anthony Seibold will move to the Broncos, with both appointments a possibility of being brought forward.

Geyer believes it is a bad look for the game and action must be taken to deter coaches and players from jumping ship.

“We’ve just witnessed a shambles with the coaches,” Geyer said.

“We’ve witnessed something that we have never seen before and we should never see it again because the NRL should bring in some type of sanctions that don’t allow this to happen ever again.

“The Tigers just got their hearts torn out because they believed in Ivan Cleary.

“Souths thought Seibold would be there coach for the next 10 years and all of a sudden he is going to Brisbane after one year.

“You’ve got to have consequences if you break that written deal.”

https://coupler.foxsports.com.au/ap...h/news-story/506fa18045cbb67701524895615b93f1
That's what I said

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Wow! He was making $200k a year in 1985!?

The DoggFather

OG DF
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Too busy eating bagels and counting his sheckles.

PS found his cat...

Last edited:

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The nrl and greenturd are scared shitless of player managers shopping players to a rival code so they let them get away with murder. The whole gayrl is an absolute laughing stock, the worst run "sporting organization" in the world.

I know I'm just rehashing what's already been said to death but fuck it, I felt like bitching

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I reckon Greenberg is quiet on this because player managers know media links.

Player managers also know how much shit Greenberg has covered up.

All it'd take is a player manager to tip off someone like Kate McClymont, and Greenbergs tennure is over.

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score

As usual his silence is deafening. He has NO idea how to fix theses ridiculous situations and all he is worried about is the amount of money he can get from the broadcasters. He does not even care that people are not attending games in the numbers that they used to rather they stay at home and watch it on TV.

He loves to hand out punishments to clubs and players for every other type of indiscretion, because that means fines and therefore more money in the NRL coffers.

This scenario is of the worst type where players are being actively enticed to break their contracts because they can get more elsewhere. There is a rule in place but it will never be used because it would be too unpopular. What about the fans though who once again feel like they are an afterthought.

Note how the increase in the cap has ramped this type of behaviour up a notch because more money is available to pay players , but it was always touted as an equalization of moneys where the top line stars don't get everything those lesser lights could earn a bit more. No, what happens is the top performers get more and more, inflating their prices alarmingly.

He won't do anything to get the big names offside because he knows that like SBW did in the past they will go elsewhere to seek the big dollars, therefore he allows the open slather of no repercussions for breaking signed contracts.

The NRL are not proactive about anything and on this they are not even reactive.

If the amount of money being thrown around by Newcastle is anywhere close to the mark they have rocks in their head paying it for a prop forward who can make metres but that's about all. That in my opinion is the most ridiculous thing about the situation. Tell me that it is not tampering......bec ause in the lack of action by our leaders they are condoning what is happening.

GoTheDoggies

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Greenberg does not care one bit.

This is a guy who promoted LGBT poofters in an NRL grand final for money and media attention.

TrioBench 1995

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Stop all betting markets instantly till a week before this ridiculous fucked administered game begins . FARK !

RichoDog

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Isn’t Geyer the Panthers no. 1 ticket holder? His mate Gould has been behind a lot of this - what a hypocrite!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Greenberg does not care one bit.

This is a guy who promoted LGBT poofters in an NRL grand final for money and media attention.
exactly... he's too busy trying to play social engineer

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
He's just living the high life "doing brunch" and drinking coffee while the game he is charged to protect destroys itself from within and without! Worst RL boss ever and weak as piss! It's an unfunny circus with no entertainment.
Gould and all his other scum mates ran Gallop out of town... I liked him as he never took shit.