Where will we finish in 2019 with our current signings?

Where will we finish in 2019?

• 1-4

Votes: 9 12.3%
  • 5-8

Votes: 40 54.8%
  • 9-12

Votes: 23 31.5%
  • 13-16

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Straight18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The club and coach made the call to let j moz go in hope of getting a younger version from somewhere. I think on where we finish rests hugely on wether we can fill them spots this off season. U bring in an api k and j manu to that side and it changes everything. It may take another year though to get talent like that. I hope not.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Before pre season even starts and with one definite roster spot to fill, my guess is 6th to 8th. That's based on the way we finished off last season and the chaos at a number of other clubs currently, with players, coaches and even venues.

Go Dogs

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Our forwards kept us from getting the spoon this past year, and I'm confident our forwards will even better in 2019, also I believe our bench will be one of the best in the comp in 2019.
I'm very confident that Pay will play CHN at centre in 2019 in spite of all the talk that he won't, and I think he will be a revelation there, as for the other centre not so sure.
Our FB position should be OK without been great with either Hoppa or Meaney.
The kennels opinion of Lichea is well known, now that Woodford is gone perhaps GMK could surprise if our coaches give him a crash course in dummy half play during the pre season, I've seen some attributes in him which makes me think he could be ok there.
My main concern surprise surprise is the possible second year syndrome for Lewis and Smith.
My heart want's me to consider Foran but my mind wont let me.
If I had to bet on where our club will finish it would be 5-8.

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
Our forwards kept us from getting the spoon this past year, and I'm confident our forwards will even better in 2019, also I believe our bench will be one of the best in the comp in 2019.
I'm very confident that Pay will play CHN at centre in 2019 in spite of all the talk that he won't, and I think he will be a revelation there, as for the other centre not so sure.
The kennels opinion of Lichea is well known, now that Woodford is gone perhaps GMK could surprise if our coaches give him a crash course in dummy half play during the pre season, I've seen some attributes in him which makes me think he could be ok there.
My main concern surprise surprise is the possible second year syndrome for Lewis and Smith.
I think you have pretty much nailed it. I'd put our top 12 forwards (exc hooker) up against any in the league. I'm OK with the right side, with Hopoate, feeding Holland and Smith. The halves are going to be great with Lewis and Foran, if Foran isn't up to standard then he's gone and we have salary cap available to get someone pretty damn good, before July. It's the left side that concerns me (leaving hooker aside for a moment), Montoya will need someone inside him who reads the defence and can direct him around in both. Maybe Harawira-Naerea can be our Inlgis (without the DUI of course). Can't escape it any more, hooker, now there's a worry, maybe Lichaa at ~60 minutes and then Marshal-King for ~20 minutes might work. Hooker is what will keep me awake at night the most.

Go Dogs

Headmix

Banned
Reaction score
Watched a couple of our games from last season and the contributions from the moz bros had been great. Interesting to see how the team can cover the loss
I agree, we would have been wooden spooners without them. my guess is we'll finish around the same spot or sneek into the bottom 8

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Good to see people warming to the idea of using CHN as a centre. I think he will be a revelation as centre. He is robust, can break tackles, and has some speed.
He will be a similar player as Inglis. I hope it happens.
The back row is overloaded so he can be played as a centre without disturbing the forwards.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Spot on with the review. I think Foran will go well with Lewis. Lewis will take a lot of the long distance kicking pressure off him, and will take on the line. Foran will be great for Lewis development and will be used to steer the ship out there whilst Lewis will be executing the plays.

Blue&whiteAxe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don’t hate the idea, but I just don’t see Pay moving him to the Centres. I have this concerned feeling that he’s going to drop Martin back to ISP. I hear from people (don’t know how true it is) that besides his kicking they don’t really rate Martin. I don’t agree personally but thats what I hear along the grape vine.

So with gifting the kicking duties to Holland who is also a capable kicker, they will then drop Martin back to ISP until injuries require his promotion

TwinTurbo

Kennel Legend
Gilded
Reaction score
I don’t hate the idea, but I just don’t see Pay moving him to the Centres. I have this concerned feeling that he’s going to drop Martin back to ISP. I hear from people (don’t know how true it is) that besides his kicking they don’t really rate Martin. I don’t agree personally but thats what I hear along the grape vine.
So with gifting the kicking duties to Holland who is also a capable kicker, they will then drop Martin back to ISP until injuries require his promotion
We do have a surplus of back rower talent, that's for sure. So if Martin wants a spot then he has to earn it, show that he wants it, everyday, in pre season, training and trials. Pay isn't going to "give" anyone a spot, they have to damn well earn it and that starts next Thursday, if it hasn't already.

Go Dogs

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Playing CHN at centre solves a few problems. It fixes the centre shortfall, and it means they do not have to buy anyone else.
Theres plenty of back rowers available. CHN was previously a centre so any adjustment will be minimal.
Will be good to have a centre like Chris Mortimer or Andrew Farrer again.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
You all under estimate the impact of the departure of the Morris boys and also the effect a full season of 1st grade NRL has on rookie's. There is reason TAB has us placed as 3rd last. Foran's last good season was 2014 so you are dreaming if you think he is somehow going to fix a broken body and deliver on his $1.3M per year salary at NRL level. I hope to god Hasler does take him back to manly before he burns us for $2.6M. I apologize if I sound so negative but I think we will be playing somewhere in the realm of 10th to 14th but wont get the wooden spoon.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You all under estimate the impact of the departure of the Morris boys and also the effect a full season of 1st grade NRL has on rookie's. There is reason TAB has us placed as 3rd last. Foran's last good season was 2014 so you are dreaming if you think he is somehow going to fix a broken body and deliver on his $1.3M per year salary at NRL level. I hope to god Hasler does take him back to manly before he burns us for $2.6M. I apologize if I sound so negative but I think we will be playing somewhere in the realm of 10th to 14th but wont get the wooden spoon.
I don't know man.
Every season is different.
Yeh, there's a real possiblitly we may finish worse than this year, but I wouldn't be surprised if our team sneaks into the 8 either.
First ten rounds are going to be very telling.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think we have the forwards to be competitive in every game. Sadly the backs dont have the skill to capitalize
on the work the forwards do. A strike centre is an absolute must. We just dont have one unless CHN steps up.

Bull Terrier

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
We will finish at 8. A big improvement on this year and be more consistent. No player offloads and hopefully a stable and consistent team. Remember with Lewis inclusion we won most our games when he played what if that guy started the season this year in our team we may off made the 8. Our big loss will be the Morris brothers.

Kelpie03

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We will finish at 8. A big improvement on this year and be more consistent. No player offloads and hopefully a stable and consistent team. Remember with Lewis inclusion we won most our games when he played what if that guy started the season this year in our team we may off made the 8. Our big loss will be the Morris brothers.
Wish we could've kept JMoz, would have solved a lot of problems on our left side,

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think we have the forwards to be competitive in every game. Sadly the backs dont have the skill to capitalize
on the work the forwards do. A strike centre is an absolute must. We just dont have one unless CHN steps up.
You dont give up do you?