Belmore and Bondi watching on as NRL considers Souths scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
What is the going rate, in terms of fines, for a footballer who exposes himself?

That is the question the NRL integrity unit is likely to confront as the game is hit with a nudity epidemic. A raft of incidents, involving footballers unable to keep their pants on, have been brought to the attention of head office.

We laughed at Trent Merrin’s nudie run, performed despite the fact he had scored two tries during the season. The Panthers media unit certainly saw the funny side, posting the episode on social media.

Not funny, however, when Adam Elliott needed to be pixelated to within an inch of his life during Canterbury’s Mad Monday shenanigans. Those images, obtained via the long lenses of a media outlet, were deemed an “invasion of privacy” by the club’s hierarchy. However, the NRL felt the game’s brand was sufficiently tarnished to hit Bulldogs where it hurts, with a record $250,000 fine for player misbehaviour.

If the incident lowered the bar from a behavioural perspective, then it has set it from a sanctioning viewpoint. Which is why the league world – particularly those watching on from Belmore – are anxiously awaiting how the NRL deals with the South Sydney incident.

• Two Rabbitohs players have been accused of sending explicit images to a woman who didn’t want to see them. Frustrated by Souths’ apparent lack of follow up – two of her emails apparently ended up in the club’s junk mail folder – she took her complaints to the media rather than police.

What transpires next will define the level of trust between the clubs and the NRL. Souths owner Russell Crowe, in the belief cheerleaders “made a lot of people uncomfortable”, got rid of them in 2007. Here is another chance to make a statement on the club’s attitude towards women.

The Rabbitohs, as per protocol, will be given the first opportunity to sanction themselves. If it means a hefty sanction to a player considered integral to their chances of success, that statement will be all the more powerful.

It will also restore some of the faith lost after the NRL fined Souths for an incident in Arizona four years ago, in which head office claimed the club “did not follow the matter to its conclusion.”

The Rabbitohs’ great rivals, the Roosters, are also watching this with interest. Mitchell Pearce copped an eight-week ban and a $125,000 fine for a an incident in which he kept his clothes on. Anything less at Souths and the outcry will be heard from Bondi Junction.

One consideration in any Bulldogs-Souths comparison is whether the clubs should pay for the stupidity of an individual. The NRL came down hard – most believe too hard – on Canterbury because the madness occurred during a club-sanctioned event. In Souths’ case, two players allegedly acted inappropriately without the club’s knowledge.

If proven, the line between tomfoolery and something more sinister has been crossed. If precedent is any guide, it’s a mistake that will prove costly.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/be...considers-souths-scandal-20180915-p5040b.html

Noeasyday

Super Moderator
Staff member
Gilded
Reaction score
The 'investigation' wont be finalised until after Souths season has ended.
While this will ensure one of the big personalities of the NRL, Sam Burgess, is available for the finals it will come at the cost of what little integrity the NRL has left.

boggie23

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One act was not offensive at all, it was a private party, no contact with the outside world and has been condemned. I have seen worse things happening after hours on Bondi beach. Yet the nrl acted swiftly, not in supporting the club involved from disgusting journalism and sensationalism, but to fine a club for something that had it not been for paparazzi would not have involved the public.

A bunch of footy players intentially exposing themselves to a member of the public against their will. She made it clear she didn’t want to see more yet more photos were sent, and it involved a married man with a child and one of the faces of the game. This was a more “sinister” action as claimed by the article and there was knowledge and content and wasn’t just mucking around. Yet no report from nrl, no comments, no statements. And this has happened a while ago.... poor form.

I know people say dogs fans think the world is against them. But when things like this happen there is no other excuse. How one club can’t be financially set back 800k + when boys mucking around post season without any member of the public making a complaint. And a complaint being made, it being swept under the carpet. It makes the media. And again no huge blow up over it.

A scandal is player misbehaviour and that hurts the game. And getting drunk at a private function and mucking around after 10 months of training and playing isn’t a scandal.

But players sexting member of the public that make a complain is a scandal that hurts the game. Yet nothing comes of it.

Poor double standards and it’s the reason the game is dying. I was a watch every game type of fan. Played the game loved the sport. I have not even seen 10 games this year. This game will have a slow and painful death when this is the level of professionalism.

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
BIG difference between the Pearce and Elliott incident.
Pearce deserved it (the sicko).
Souths deserve it.
Bulldogs DIDN'T.
Also Pearce had a track record of doing things on the piss, like harassing the chick in the yellow dress hence why I think he copped the longer suspension and hefty fine.

South definitely deserves it, time and time again they have incidents that get overlooked that anyone else would be smashed for.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Also Pearce had a track record of doing things on the piss, like harassing the chick in the yellow dress hence why I think he copped the longer suspension and hefty fine.

South definitely deserves it, time and time again they have incidents that get overlooked that anyone else would be smashed for.
ABC Offsiders this morning. I wish Kelli Underwood would get her facts right and Roy Masters seems like he's had too many nights with Rothfield by the look of it...can't believe he actually retold the story of the Aboriginal player excusing domestic violence...geez what a way to try and make a point. Marginalising them also. Why he related that when discussing about Pommy Sam I don't know.

The standard of sports journalism in Australia is abyssmal.

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/offsiders/series/0/video/NC1810V033S00

MatstaDogg

The Bearded Baker
Premium Member
Reaction score
ABC Offsiders this morning. I wish Kelli Underwood would get her facts right and Roy Masters seems like he's had too many nights with Rothfield by the look of it...can't believe he actually retold the story of the Aboriginal player excusing domestic violence...geez what a way to try and make a point. Marginalising them also. Why he related that when discussing about Pommy Sam I don't know.

The standard of sports journalism in Australia is abyssmal.

https://iview.abc.net.au/show/offsiders/series/0/video/NC1810V033S00
I think journalism in general is abysmal this day and age.

Also I can't stand Kelli Underwood she always annoys me when I watch The Back Page.

Art Vandelay

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anyone heard anything from Todd Greenturd in regards to this latest Souths scandal?
BTW - Whatever happened in regards to Cronulla's salary cap scandal?
NRL definitely have their favourites dont they.
As Doctor Strange would say, "We are now in the end game".

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The 'investigation' wont be finalised until after Souths season has ended.
While this will ensure one of the big personalities of the NRL, Sam Burgess, is available for the finals it will come at the cost of what little integrity the NRL has left.
They only have structural integrity on their rented building at this stage. Personal and professiojnal integrity was gone long ago.

I look at a few things with this. I'd assume the NRL has seen a strong decline in ratings for their big events and probably realize that the shareholders in the game are going to have their (Greengurg & the board) nuts lopped if they don't start seeing the ratings rise. But they're (Greengurg & the board) still under the impression that they're smarter than most fans and can pull the wool over peoples eyes with regards to refereeing that many see as cheating at this point. They've not tried fixing the refereeing, they've changed rules to allow referees to make judgement calls on things that used to be black and white, so penalties can go eityher way and long term fans are finding that it's almost impossible to know why teams are being penalized, even the commentators struggle to interpret ref decisions.

At this stage I only watch dogs games. I used to watch origin religiously, but the queensland winning streak was riddled with hugely questionable calls that decided many a series. The referees should be held to accout for this but instead when anyone associated with the team complained had to pay fines.

If Greenburg and co are still Titanicing our great game next season it might be the last year I even have the heart to follow the Bulldogs. I hardly even understand the rules of the game anymore and I think I'm reasonably intelligent. I've watched a couple of games in the local competitions and pretty much know why the ref penalizes a team on 90% of the decisions. But at the professional level so many decisions made by referees are a mystery to me.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
They only have structural integrity on their rented building at this stage. Personal and professiojnal integrity was gone long ago.

I look at a few things with this. I'd assume the NRL has seen a strong decline in ratings for their big events and probably realize that the shareholders in the game are going to have their (Greengurg & the board) nuts lopped if they don't start seeing the ratings rise. But they're (Greengurg & the board) still under the impression that they're smarter than most fans and can pull the wool over peoples eyes with regards to refereeing that many see as cheating at this point. They've not tried fixing the refereeing, they've changed rules to allow referees to make judgement calls on things that used to be black and white, so penalties can go eityher way and long term fans are finding that it's almost impossible to know why teams are being penalized, even the commentators struggle to interpret ref decisions.

At this stage I only watch dogs games. I used to watch origin religiously, but the queensland winning streak was riddled with hugely questionable calls that decided many a series. The referees should be held to accout for this but instead when anyone associated with the team complained had to pay fines.

If Greenburg and co are still Titanicing our great game next season it might be the last year I even have the heart to follow the Bulldogs. I hardly even understand the rules of the game anymore and I think I'm reasonably intelligent. I've watched a couple of games in the local competitions and pretty much know why the ref penalizes a team on 90% of the decisions. But at the professional level so many decisions made by referees are a mystery to me.
You are spot on. If the ratings fall, Murdoch will be tearing strips off Greenberg and Beattie as his billion dollar investment is eroded.

As with Rupert's other businesses, watch for more and more mud slinging and sleazy journos desperately trying for more " clicks" to get a quick high with a view to selling off the product.

Bulldogs aren't gettin let off the hook any time soon.

TOTTO

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Real think Greenberg is regretting the fine he gave us now as what will be the fine for someone doing something totally illegal.
Flashing a women sounds more like jail time than flashing you mates is lol.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Rumour of FB from that "NRL rumours" page has decision as early as Tuesday with Sam Burgess being stood down immediately and his brother facing sanction aswell? Take from that what you will.

BlackDawg

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The NRL are a rabble;
1. Dogs cop a $250k fine from a press photo taken from 400 meters away. How are club management meant to control that? As it has been said it is actually an invasion of privacy and should be taken to court.
2. Cronulla caught rorting the cap yet allowed to play on in finals. Not a word from the NRL on matter except to passively let them continue to attempt towin 2018 GF......which is at odds with their intention of rorting the cap as an advantage over other clubs. They have admitted to at least 2 years of it but ...surprise surprise they are claen in their premiership year and this year. LOL
3. South Sydney ... yet another club who try to muffle the woman and ignore and frustrate her into giving up on what occurred. Only when she goes to the press does she get any form of traction.,,,,and what do the NRL do .... well nothing...even the players are allowed to continue to play in this years finals series.
4. The Suttons. One a ref...the other a ref's boss. Nepotism at its best yet nothing is done to make this impartial. In fact....gerard is subject to a massive error where touchie puts up flag incorrectly but play is allowed to go on and THE TOUCHIES GET THE SACK AND GERARD IS ALLOWED TO REF NEXT WEEK. ROFL

The NRL are a bunch of village idiots who couldn't manage a chook raffle. The dogs have every right to be seething over the NRL glossing over salary cap cheating and demeaning women yet fine us $250k over a photo taken without permission by a telephoto lens 400 meters away from the event. LOL

N4TE

DogsRhavnaParty
Reaction score
The NRL are a rabble;
1. Dogs cop a $250k fine from a press photo taken from 400 meters away. How are club management meant to control that? As it has been said it is actually an invasion of privacy and should be taken to court.
2. Cronulla caught rorting the cap yet allowed to play on in finals. Not a word from the NRL on matter except to passively let them continue to attempt towin 2018 GF......which is at odds with their intention of rorting the cap as an advantage over other clubs. They have admitted to at least 2 years of it but ...surprise surprise they are claen in their premiership year and this year. LOL
3. South Sydney ... yet another club who try to muffle the woman and ignore and frustrate her into giving up on what occurred. Only when she goes to the press does she get any form of traction.,,,,and what do the NRL do .... well nothing...even the players are allowed to continue to play in this years finals series.
4. The Suttons. One a ref...the other a ref's boss. Nepotism at its best yet nothing is done to make this impartial. In fact....gerard is subject to a massive error where touchie puts up flag incorrectly but play is allowed to go on and THE TOUCHIES GET THE SACK AND GERARD IS ALLOWED TO REF NEXT WEEK. ROFL

The NRL are a bunch of village idiots who couldn't manage a chook raffle. The dogs have every right to be seething over the NRL glossing over salary cap cheating and demeaning women yet fine us $250k over a photo taken without permission by a telephoto lens 400 meters away from the event. LOL
I love the oh the salary cap thing was last year so we good for this year.. Yes your honour I murdered that entire family like 3 years ago old news we all good.

vegny

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
One consideration in any Bulldogs-Souths comparison is whether the clubs should pay for the stupidity of an individual. The NRL came down hard – most believe too hard – on Canterbury because the madness occurred during a club-sanctioned event. In Souths’ case, two players allegedly acted inappropriatelywithout the club’s knowledge.

Lol. But south had known about this since may. They had not managed to answer the complaint. Worse, by the look of it they had not reported this to the integrity unit. Hows that for consideration?

Its a joke how whoever wrote the article can justify the dogs, as a club, to pay for stupidity of individuals but not south.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Hypocrisy of the highest grade. All I can suggest for Dogs fans (who rightly know the Club is mercilessly persecuted) is to flood league social media sites of all descriptions to maintain the rage. Unlike the treatment meted out to our club, these corrupt Administrators and media think this will quietly go away. It looks like its up to us to keep highlighting the "actual" crimes of other Clubs, by comparison to what Elliott, Fine, Woolford, Montoya did at a private function. Post of every site and email as many as you can.

We're as mad as hell and we're not gonna take it any more.

And this is our perfect opportunity to highlight to the general public the hypocrisy and over, (and under), reporting of all of these matters. Mention the specific details in all your posts.

If the DT won't beat up the story and put some perspective and comparison to the offences, then the Dogs fans will. No more will deadbeats like Weazeler be bagging our club whilst ignoring Souths, Cronulla etc and not expect push back by Dogs fans.

Do you bit for the players and Club if you can.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
$150,000 and 12 weeks suspension effective immediately. This is worse than the Mitchell Pearce case.

Status
Not open for further replies.