Sharks under investigation for salary cap breach

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
They'll keep Holmes as long as he wants to stay there I reckon. His partner just started a part time job with the Sharks.

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
Val’s partner (sister of Morgo’s Fiancé) is keen to come back to Townsville and I think Val is too.

Bulldog_4_Life

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
They will get a slap on the wrist, they will get a small fine and maybe lose 200k from there cap next season.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What the fuck does this NRL Integrity Unit actually do anyhow? All of these cases seem to be self-reported or in The Storm’s case, it was a disgruntled employee who blew the whistle. The NRL seemingly couldn’t find a camel in the back of a ute, let alone uncover any dodgy business practices by the clubs.

coach

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
What the fuck does this NRL Integrity Unit actually do anyhow? All of these cases seem to be self-reported or in The Storm’s case, it was a disgruntled employee who blew the whistle. The NRL seemingly couldn’t find a camel in the back of a ute, let alone uncover any dodgy business practices by the clubs.
Yup. I'm guessing they also done there yearly audits of the sharks in 2015 and 2017 just like every other year and found nothing then, only until someone points it out do the nrl have any idea
So sharks are sweet for this year?
Nrl also said they were sweet in 15 16 17........ blah blah blah
Nrl a joke

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The NRL newsletter I received tonight has an article in which Mr T Greenberg says that the amount is basically negligible and that it is nowhere near as bad as other clubs. Sounds about right that they want it to go away as the semis are nearly here..... Good luck with getting answers from the parties involved. Greenberg seems more intent on raising the level of fines.

NRL considers raising salary cap breach fines to $2 million
Author
Brad Walter Senior Reporter
Timestamp
Wed 29 Aug 2018, 02:14 PM

Clubs found guilty of salary cap rorting may face fines of up to $2 million as the NRL considers doubling the financial penalties that can be imposed for serious breaches.

NRL CEO Todd Greenberg revealed during a press conference on Wednesday about the investigation into alleged salary cap breaches by Cronulla that he had been asked by the ARL Commission to review the maximum fine clubs could receive.

While insisting the allegations against the Sharks were not "on the scale" of previous breaches and that all teams in the upcoming finals series were cap compliant, Greenberg said penalties had not matched an increase in funding for clubs.

The maximum fine has not increased since 2013 when the annual grant from the NRL was $7.1 million but clubs will each receive $12.5 million funding this season – more than $3 million above the $9.4 million salary cap.

"As the cap has gone up and grants to club have gone up, the imposition of fines hasn’t kept pace,” Greenberg said.

"That is something that the Commission has asked me to look at at the end of this year - do we need to have additional financial penalties over and above what we have historically had."

Parramatta were fined $1 million and docked 12 competition points in 2016, while Manly are appealing a $750,000 fine and $330,000 salary cap reduction for this season and in 2019 after being found guilty of cap breaches.

Greenberg said the allegations against Cronulla were not as significant as those breaches but as the investigation was ongoing he could not guarantee the Sharks 2016 premiership win would not be tarnished.

He also confirmed Cronulla coach Shane Flanagan would be interviewed by the NRL integrity unit, along with former chairman Damien Keogh and CEO Lyall Gorman, who is now at Manly.

"As we delve into the details there are a number of people we need to come forward and speak honestly, openly and truthfully about their experiences inside the club," Greenberg said. "That will include current and former staff and executives."

The Sharks self-reported concerns about a possible breach in 2015 when new CEO Barry Russell took over from Gorman in March this year.

Gorman, who was in the role from November 2014 until the end of the 2017 season, told NRL.com the first he has heard of the Sharks investigation was when news broke on Tuesday night.

Greenberg confirmed the issue reported by the Sharks, who have also had a change in chairman after Dino Mezzatesta took over from Keogh in June 2017, was related to an undisclosed third-party deal.

Investigators are studying "tens of thousands" of documents seized by the NRL integrity unit and Greenberg said a "thorough analysis" would determine whether there had been further breaches in 2016 or 2017.

However, he said all 16 NRL clubs were salary cap compliant and revealed the Sharks had spent more than $500,000 below the $9.4 million ceiling for player payments.

"On the matters before me, as they currently sit, this is not on the scale of previous clubs under investigation like Manly, the Eels or further back like the Storm," Greenberg said.

"The work we're doing goes back historically a number of years. Just because a club has a salary cap breach potentially in a certain year doesn’t necessarily mean that we strip titles or you take competition points.

"A lot of times relatively modest salary cap breaches result in fines. I don’t know what the outcome of this will be but from what has been presented to me today it is nowhere near the scale of some of the other things I have seen come forward.

"… Importantly, on the information available to us, every club in the NRL, and that includes the Sharks, are cap compliant in 2018. The 2018 finals series will not be affected by this investigation."

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Hahaha I just read the Sharks are supposed to be operating $500k under the cap this year lol! Just enough to sign Barba

Todd Greenberg
Investigators are studying "tens of thousands" of documents seized by the NRL integrity unit and Greenberg said a "thorough analysis" would determine whether there had been further breaches in 2016 or 2017.

However, he said all 16 NRL clubs were salary cap compliant and revealed the Sharks had spent more than $500,000 below the $9.4 million ceiling for player payments

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Parra got done for cheating the cap for 5 years and they copped nothing.
Same with the sharks nothing will happen.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Anyone think maybe the Sharks KNEW they were over, thus underspent by that same amount this year, to try and get wiggle room with the NRL?

I reckon there should be a zero tolerance to salary cap breaches... Be it $1 or $1 million over, the penalty should be:
IF CURRENT SEASON ONLY: $1 million fine, a mandatory loss of all points for that season, a 5% cap reduction for the next season, and any prize money and titles for that season lost.
IF HISTORIC AND CURRENT SEASON: As above but 10% cap reduction for each year over (to a maximum of 50%), $500,000 fine per season over.
IF HISTORIC ONLY: Stripped of all titles for that period, and $500,000 per season fine.

Then see how many fiddle the cap.

Oh and publically listed salaries.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
IMO Greenturd is on the take. Fuck him and fuck the Sharks. The only thing Greenturd excels at is fining the Dogs for mediocre bullshit!!!

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Have they let anyone of note go? Seems like they've signed Morgan, Woods and another big name from memory. I hope that they wind up having to offload enough talent to save them for a few seasons while getting stuck with a few overtop paid duds to hinder them for the foreseeable future.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We haven't played round 25 yet but already Greenturd and his drug cultured cap cheat buddies have left a sour taste in my mouth and another reason to despise the NRL Governing body. I love the game of Rugby League but I hate the NRL and it's bullshit biased rules that favor some clubs and over penalize others according to Greenturd's buddy system. We get fined 15K for wearing the wrong jersey but the Sharks get reported for cheating the cap and Greenturd goes into automatic damage control hosing down any potential penalty the sharks should face. Greenturd should step down as NRL CEO for bringing the game under disrepute. The state of the game has never been lower and more highly criticized for match fixing in the public eye than under his administration. Greenturd is a blight on the game a cancer that is killing Rugby League. Fuck you Greenturd you piece of shit.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Woods
Peptide Paul
Fatfita
Dugan
Holmes
Wade graham
Matt Moylan
Lewis
Townsend

And $500k under the cap? LMAO

matthew

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Saying it was a player who does not play for the sharks anymore but played in 2015 and 2016 including the Grand final. Got to be Ben Barba for sure.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I heard Tim mannahs brothers passing was linked to peptides feeding his cancer cells and there could of been an ongoing payout of sorts

Status
Not open for further replies.