Tapped on the shoulder to prize pooch: Lewis's rise through Bulldogs ranks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Dan Walsh
Tue 21 Aug 2018, 09:01 AM

A match-winning field goal capped Lachlan Lewis's 22nd birthday celebrations, but last Christmas the recently crowned 'Prince of Belmore' was being told he could take his services elsewhere.

Lewis has made a home at Canterbury in what has otherwise been one of the roughest campaigns in the club's history, nailing a clutch one-pointer to sink the Warriors and claim a fourth win in just his seventh NRL game.

The former Canberra five-eighth only found his way to first grade when Moses Mbye's exit to Wests Tigers opened up a spot in the Bulldogs' top 30 roster at the end of June, with Lewis debuting against Newcastle that same week.

But upon returning to pre-season training last November the club told Lewis he was unlikely to see NRL game time having dropped out of Canterbury's top squad, and he was welcome to try and pursue a first grade start at a rival club.

With his base level Bulldogs deal expiring at the end of 2018 and without a manager at the time, Lewis put the uncertainty to one side and pushed on regardless.

"One year into my two-and-a-half year contract they said you're actually not in the top 30 and you actually won't be able to play NRL, they tap you on the shoulder and say if you want to go somewhere else you can," Lewis says.

"I was on my own and I said 'stuff it, I'm going to train hard, develop my game and try and keep my head in the right place'.

"Going into pre-season knowing that you're most likely not going to be able to play because of the whole (top) 30 saga and no matter what happens it all comes down to how many dollars you're on - it was a bit of a blessing when they started to say 'we might be able to get you in the comp because you trained hard enough and you work hard'. That's all I wanted, that opportunity."

Despite playing out of position at centre in the InTrust Super Cup, Lewis was turning heads at Belmore from early in the year.

And when Mbye moved on and Kieran Foran was floored by a season-ending toe injury, Lewis finally got his chance.

Soon enough Wally Lewis's nephew was making his own name and back on Brisbane's radar as just one of a few clubs interested in the composed young half who cut his teeth tackling truck tyres as a kid.

But with the assurance of getting first crack at the No.6 jersey alongside Foran in 2019, Lewis re-signed last month for another two years.

With Lewis and Manly youngster Manase Fainu the most high profile cases of rookies being held back from debuting as they weren't initially part of their club's top 30 squads, clubs, the NRL and RLPA will meet for a feedback session on the game's new rostering model this week.

Bulldogs five-eighth Lachlan Lewis.©Nathan Hopkins/NRL Photos
It's understood club representatives will push for a tweaking of the system that allows for the three to six development players at each outfit to be available for first grade selection.

As revealed by NRL.com recently, definitive top 30 squads could be published for the first time next season, a move Lewis welcomed having struggled himself on the fringe of first grade.

"It's very hush hush the top 30," Lewis said.

"Not many clubs reveal who's in the top 30 and to be honest it's a bit of an unspoken thing and if you're in that position, gosh it's tough.

"There's only so many teams in the NRL, there's only so many clubs and it's a competitive environment. At the end of the day the best make it and whoever works the hardest and works at it the longest and keeps their head in the right place makes it."

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/21...ect-lachlan-lewis-making-most-of-opportunity/

Apercots

Kennel Established
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe it’s cynical but I can’t see us keeping him at the end of the 2 years

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
How refreshing, a young kid of this era saying bugger it I will knuckle down and prove myself! Love this kid and shows how far up there arses our talent spotters are when it was obvious straight away that he had something, only to be told you won't make it.

Last edited:

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
But upon returning to pre-season training last November the club told Lewis he was unlikely to see NRL game time having dropped out of Canterbury's top squad, and he was welcome to try and pursue a first grade start at a rival club.

With his base level Bulldogs deal expiring at the end of 2018 and without a manager at the time, Lewis put the uncertainty to one side and pushed on regardless.

"One year into my two-and-a-half year contract they said you're actually not in the top 30 and you actually won't be able to play NRL, they tap you on the shoulder and say if you want to go somewhere else you can," Lewis says.

This is JT like stupidity!!! Thank f@ck the club came to it's senses before they did something stupid like letting Lewis walk. P.S F@CK the old board....bunch of wankers!!!

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
this is the exact story last year with liccha, trying to salvage from a dog shit season,just like druken yobos in a pub cheering a pointless late conversion for losing team

Downtowndog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Kid has been great since given the opportunity in first grade

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Maybe it’s cynical but I can’t see us keeping him at the end of the 2 years
I always get nervous now with these young qld kids coming down south to play, hopefully he bucks the 'home-sick' rort and doesn't end up at the broncos wearing his uncles famous number 6.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How refreshing, a young kid of this era saying bugger it I will knuckle down and prove myself! Love this kid and shows how far up there arses out talent spotters are when it was obvious straight away that he had something, only to be told you won't make it.
Totally agree mate. My youngest nephew had become disillusioned with the Dogs and in the direction the club was headed in with all the salary cap saga, the shopping of players etc, etc.....But know with Lewis and Martin in the team he once again sees a future for the dogs and is back in the fold. Can't blame the kid for feeling disillusioned he's only young but has been Blue and White since birth.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I always get nervous now with these young qld kids coming down south to play, hopefully he bucks the 'home-sick' rort and doesn't end up at the broncos wearing his uncles famous number 6.
I don't see much chance of that happening. Lewis seems to be a loyal young kid with a level head on his shoulders. Besides I believe he wants to etch out a career in Rugby League and make it on his own. I don't think the kid wants to live in his uncles shadow and for this reason the Broncos will have a hard time signing him. Coming up through the grades the Broncos threw multiple contracts at him and he turned them down. Maybe one day he might return to Queensland but it wont be with the Broncs but as for now he wants to be his own man, he wants to be a part of our rebuild, he wants to remain a Dog.

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
just goes to show... how the assumptions that are made by some are way off the mark ...

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I don't see much chance of that happening. Lewis seems to be a loyal young kid with a level head on his shoulders. Besides I believe he wants to etch out a career in Rugby League and make it on his own. I don't think the kid wants to live in his uncles shadow and for this reason the Broncos will have a hard time signing him. Coming up through the grades the Broncos threw multiple contracts at him and he turned them down. Maybe one day he might return to Queensland but it wont be with the Broncs but as for now he wants to be his own man, he wants to be a part of the rebuild, he wants to remain a Dog.
In reading between the lines I don't think "The King" has actually had much to do with "The Prince's" RL career. Think he has mentioned a few times now that his Grandad has been his biggest backer. No doubt he will want his own mark on his life instead of being in the shadow and his action to date certainly back that. Any kid that grew up tackling truck tyres for practice has my attention lol. I'm just glad that he has made the club recognise his talent when it would seem they weren't too interested. He is still young and early career wise and would hate to add pressure but I just hope he turns out to be our next generational player, we deserve someone to cheer for again.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thank goodness he eventually got a crack and made the most of it.

The fact that he couldn't have played unless we had a million injuries or moved guys on is another reason why this top 30 system is absolute garbage. Why prevent teams from unearthing future talent for that club and the code?

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In reading between the lines I don't think "The King" has actually had much to do with "The Prince's" RL career. Think he has mentioned a few times now that his Grandad has been his biggest backer. No doubt he will want his own mark on his life instead of being in the shadow and his action to date certainly back that. Any kid that grew up tackling truck tyres for practice has my attention lol. I'm just glad that he has made the club recognise his talent when it would seem they weren't too interested. He is still young and early career wise and would hate to add pressure but I just hope he turns out to be our next generational player, we deserve someone to cheer for again.
I don't want to put pressure on Lewis either but as long as he keeps on improving and showing his love for the game and our club I would love to see him end up being a Bulldog for life.

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
How refreshing, a young kid of this era saying bugger it I will knuckle down and prove myself! Love this kid and shows how far up there arses out talent spotters are when it was obvious straight away that he had something, only to be told you won't make it.
Lewis has old-school qualities about him.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Lewis is engaged and hopefully she is a Sydney gal

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Whilst Lewis has plenty to improve, the fact is that he is a winner.. there is a feeling of hope when he takes the field no matter who we play.. his extra efforts and his confidence will be crucial for us in tight games. He is quickly becoming priority no1

Take nothing away from our middle men, Klem has been the most consistent guy in the comp imo, but we finally have somebody who can convert the hard work into wins.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Whilst Lewis has plenty to improve, the fact is that he is a winner.. there is a feeling of hope when he takes the field no matter who we play.. his extra efforts and his confidence will be crucial for us in tight games. He is quickly becoming priority no1

Take nothing away from our middle men, Klem has been the most consistent guy in the comp imo, but we finally have somebody who can convert the hard work into wins.
The Loss against Manly proves it, without Lewis in the team we lost all direction. We had enough ball and enough chances to win but we lacked the class and finesse to take our chances, to finish off our plays. Lachlan was truly missed.

Malla

Reaction score

This is JT like stupidity!!! Thank f@ck the club came to it's senses before they did something stupid like letting Lewis walk. P.S F@CK the old board....bunch of wankers!!!
Club would have been in a tough spot tho - we had Foran on a multi year/million $$ deal, same with Mbye, a mess that Des created. Club was probably doing the right thing by him by being open and honest.

Difference between he and JT is JT was at the end of his deal and ready to sign a new one whereas Lewis was still contracted. Either way, the club did the right thing by moving Mbye!

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
should tap most of the team on the shoulder

Malla

Reaction score

Yeah mate agree. He wants the ball when the going gets tough and that alone makes a big difference. We have been too used to halves shrinking in the moment - Frawley, Mbye, Marshall King, Reynolds (he wanted the ball but just made shit decisions).

Status
Not open for further replies.