Bulldogs merge/relocate

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamsapple

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I was listening to MMM today and they were talking about the possibility of the manly sea eagles relocating

Someone mentioned how he was a balmain supporter and it took him years to start supporting the wests tigers

There was no mention of the bulldogs merging or relocating BUT if they did would you still see yourself supporting them or would it be too hard

I'd hate both but I reckon a relocation would be easier than a merge with a rival club
What are your thoughts?

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I can't see it ever being something we need to think about as we are a strong club. But hypothetically it would be something I'd have to get used to I guess

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
We’re too financially stable to ever need to consider either, but as a hypothetical proposition, I could still support a relocation but would never support a merge.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Won't happen (these days) so no use thinking about.
But it's already happened (in the past) with Super League and I still supported the Bulldogs then.

Manly unlikely to merge/move because they cover a large geographical area.

Souths, Roosters, St George would all be teams that should be merged.

Souths and Roosters merged > Sydney City Blah Blahs
St George and Cronulla merged > Sutherland Blah Blahs

Rough boundaries as I see them.

upload_2018-8-18_13-45-20.png

EXPLORER

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Won't happen (these days) so no use thinking about.
But it's already happened (in the past) with Super League and I still supported the Bulldogs then.

Manly unlikely to merge/move because they cover a large geographical area.

Souths, Roosters, St George would all be teams that should be merged.

Souths and Roosters merged > Sydney City Blah Blahs
St George and Cronulla merged > Sutherland Blah Blahs

Rough boundaries as I see them.

View attachment 6999
What about all the bits in between the circular sections
Don’t they support league

dogsballs

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It would depend for me who they merged with, if they merged with parramatta they would be a western Sydney power house but I couldnt handle it. If they merged with Penrith I think I could. The colours wouldnt change much if we added in Penriths black to the jersey also. It’s never going to happen though. I would love if they moved to NSW north coast though.

w00t

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Don't think location matters. I've never lived out west and never will but i've always supported the 'Dogs

As for a merge, depends on the team but it'd be hard to stomach

bricktamland

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Really good question, I don’t think I could follow them if they merged, luckily our club is very rich , has history and premiereshios, also our fan base is one of the most passionate and vocal so we would never have to worry about it happening

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
In the late 1990s, rugby league was changing. It was a necessity that clubs evolved from the dark ages and move forward together. That meant Sydney clubs like North Sydney, Manly, South Sydney, St George, Balmain and the Magpies had to make some harsh business decisions to survive.

It almost did happen:

The Magpies had to decide between the Canterbury Bulldogs and the Tigers. One of these teams would be their new partners in a merger.

It was thought that going with the Bulldogs would be a death sentence as the cashed up Bulldogs simply wanted the Macarthur region.
The Tigers were also considering an offer from the Parramatta Eels, but Balmain too thought a takeover was inevitable from Dennis Fitzgerald and the Eels.

For those interested in reading more:

https://www.theroar.com.au/2012/01/13/beginning-of-the-end-for-the-magpies/

D- voice

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
2008...The new board then held a forum at the at Olympic stadium which I attended,
After explaining the future plans for the club CEO Greenturd answered questions,
My question to him was...With all the rumours about clubs in Sydney merging or relocating how safe is Canterbury ?
His answer word by word said...How safe ?
I'll tell you how safe...We have the best club in Australia ( Canterbury leagues ) followed by the second best club in Australia ( Bankstown sports ) behind us...THAT'S HOW SAFE !
Sadly the National Rorters League Can't be trusted !!!

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
I believe we are the only football club that controls the leagues club.
As a result our football club is financially stable even if the football club doesn't make a profit in its own right.
Therefore what advantage would there be to move or relocate?
We are at a low ebb on the football field and probably losing young supporters in droves but we will be back.
I was at our last grand final in 2004 and flew in from Brisbane the day before with a shit load ofother dogs supporters on that flight. At the game we had 75% of the crowd.
Why on earth would the mighty Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs ever agree to relocate or god forbid merge.

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I believe we are the only football club that controls the leagues club.
As a result our football club is financially stable even if the football club doesn't make a profit in its own right.
Therefore what advantage would there be to move or relocate?
We are at a low ebb on the football field and probably losing young supporters in droves but we will be back.
I was at our last grand final in 2004 and flew in from Brisbane the day before with a shit load ofother dogs supporters on that flight. At the game we had 75% of the crowd.
Why on earth would the mighty Canterbury Bankstown Bulldogs ever agree to relocate or god forbid merge.
The Bulldogs have always wanted a bigger slice of the pie, meaning more territory and a larger nursey to choose from. That's why the merger talks started with wests. We simply wanted the Macarthur region. but Wests panicked and bulked at the idea, knowing all things that wests stood for would be lost to the pages of time.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The Bulldogs have always wanted a bigger slice of the pie, meaning more territory and a larger nursey to choose from. That's why the merger talks started with wests. We simply wanted the Macarthur region. but Wests panicked and bulked at the idea, knowing all things that wests stood for would be lost to the pages of time.
Should have got it too, massive nursery. But what would we be called? Sth West Sydney Bulldogs lol

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Should have got it too, massive nursery. But what would we be called? Sth West Sydney Bulldogs lol
We were trying to register ourselves as the Western Bulldogs but as you would know Footsgray Bulldogs in the AFL had already registered the change of name. So going by memory we considered calling the joint venture the Western Sydney Bulldogs but Wests wanted Wests Sydney Bulldogs. This is where the talks broke down and the magpies ran to join their bum chums the Tigers.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
We were trying to register ourselves as the Western Bulldogs but as you would know Footsgray Bulldogs in the AFL had already registered the change of name. So going by memory we considered calling the joint venture the Western Sydney Bulldogs but Wests wanted Wests Sydney Bulldogs. This is where the talks broke down and the magpies ran to join their bum chums the Tigers.
Oh k, scenario totally missed me. WOW we almost merged with Wests huh.. We would have had enough money to by the NRL Fcuk me.

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If we did I would support football full time and forget about rugby tbh!

Status
Not open for further replies.