Broncos decide not to renew Bennett contract.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Get excited @Kaz .... Maybe Haslers coming to Brisbane :D :D :D

If they miss the 8 I reckon he's gone for 2019.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...t/news-story/2d06afbc8ec7eaa8602f73267d9c7a20

WAYNE Bennett could be on his way out of Brisbane at the end of the season following reports the club have decided not to renew his contract.
Bennett’s Broncos contract finishes at the end of the 2019 NRL season and his coaching future has been the subject of much speculation this year.

Channel 7 reports the Broncos board will meet again in October to decide whether the seven-time premiership winning coach stays on next season or goes immediately.

The report also says Bennett has got manager Gavin Orr to sound out possible options for 2019 and beyond.

Just last Wednesday Bennett was linked to the vacant Penrith job following Anthony Griffin’s shock sacking, but denied the Panthers had approached him.

The 68-year-old also reiterated his intentions to continue coaching. “I want to be at the Broncos, I want to continue to coach, everyone knows that. I feel I know how long I can go on for. And I’m not going to stay a year too long. I’m going to be like Billy Slater — I want to go out on top of my game. But it’s not now.”

upload_2018-8-12_23-42-45.png

upload_2018-8-12_23-43-57.png

https://www.triplem.com.au/sport/nr...f-wayne-bennett-is-forced-out-at-season-s-end

Ben Dobbin talking on TripleM stating if Bennett goes Broncos may lose assistant coach, as well as players with coach clauses in their contracts.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
https://www.couriermail.com.au/spor...be30ed571f7a6621d154c4e791b&memtype=anonymous

BRISBANE players believe Wayne Bennett will be sacked at the end of this season in a move that threatens to see several big-name Broncos follow the super coach out of Red Hill.

The Sunday Mail can reveal Bennett’s termination could be accelerated by 12 months amid concerns the constant innuendo has created a political powder keg that could tear the club apart if the speculation spills into next season. Broncos chairman Karl Morris and chief executive Paul White have ostensibly decided Bennett will not receive another contract in their quest for a fresh era at Red Hill.

The 68-year-old coach will only receive a stay of execution if Brisbane win the premiership — an increasingly unlikely scenario following back-to-back losses to the battling Bulldogs and Cowboys.

Bennett is contracted until the end of next year. But several Broncos players, including one representative star, have told sources it is their understanding Bennett will not be in charge in 2019. The relationship between Bennett and the White-Morris power alliance has become untenable.

The Broncos, the NRL’s richest brand with a record $46 million revenue, cannot afford another 12 months of toxic infighting with a coach who knows there is no future for him at Red Hill beyond his 70th birthday. The Broncos board will meet in October to determine Bennett’s fate. Should Brisbane choose to part ways with Bennett a year early, they face a $1 million payout before beginning the search for a new coach. Privately, Bennett is pragmatic about the situation. While he is refusing to give up hope of securing one final 12-month extension, he knows the high-level ructions could force his premature departure. If Brisbane don’t handle Bennett’s exit well, they risk losing players. Amid the turbulence, Bennett hasn’t lost the dressing-room and a number of top-liners are fiercely loyal to the seven-time premiership coach.

Forward sensation Tevita Pangai Jr only signed with Brisbane because of Bennett, personally phoning him two years ago asking for a chance. Now one of the code’s most destructive players, Pangai Jr remains off-contract and is watching the Bennett saga closely. The veteran coach has also thrown lifelines to centre James Roberts, turning him into a NSW Origin player, and Matt Lodge, who sought Bennett’s help following his New York rampage in 2015. Bennett would have no issue taking players with him, just as he has done previously with Darius Boyd, now Brisbane’s skipper.

Lodge yesterday appealed for Broncos hierarchy not to sack Bennett, saying he has the support of the playing group.

“I really hope Wayne stays on, I know a lot of guys enjoy playing under him. I love Wayne, I wouldn’t be here today without his support. He just leads the way and he cares about his players. He has some great life lessons and he has some of the best morals and standards I’ve ever seen so he has been very influential for me. I don’t know how much longer Wayne will be here, but I am more than happy to keep playing under him. I’ve had experiences with coaches who I didn’t get along with. I have a connection with Wayne. I go out every week playing hard to get a win for him and the other guys are the same.” Lodge said.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
How is this news. It's been known for ever, they weren't going to renew his contract.

Re Hasler @Mr Invisible

We are Hasler proof.

images.jpg

TPJ won't leave because Bennett leaves. It's media bullshit.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Griffin and paul white are very good mates and it was white who advised griffin to go on nrl 360 to clear his name i wonder if hell end up back at the broncos

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The guy needs to wake up and realise he's been lucky, made enough money and take a step back and retire.

Yes he's been a good coach at various stages and achieved alot but nothing goes on forever.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Still a great coach

Theyve played some great footy at times this year

Remember theyve done it all without a halfback and without 1 starting prop (Nikorima not a genuine Halfback & Thiaday not a genuine prop)

The Innovator

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If Bennett coaches beyond this year he will be the oldest coach in 110 years.
He’s past it.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
LOL Kaz ... if the choice was Hasler or Griffin, who would you pick?

I reckon Maguire might be in the running too.

Langer and Lockyer... suprised they've never wanted to coach.

If Bennett coaches beyond this year he will be the oldest coach in 110 years.
He’s past it.
In fairness he looks about 110!

Lil Ms Fabulous

Is Trollin
Reaction score
Alfie only wants to hold all the players hands out on the field. I reckon he needs to put a jersey on as he spends far too much time on the field.

Was at Thursday’s game in Townsville and Darius’ body language out there strikes me as being worried that Wayne is as good as gone.

Btw, Townsville based Broncos supporters are way too arrogant (South Sydney come a very close second)

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
LOL Kaz ... if the choice was Hasler or Griffin, who would you pick.
Neither. Let me coach them if they were the only 2 to pick from.

Just need a cattle prod & a taser gun.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Was at Thursday’s game in Townsville and Darius’ body language out there strikes me as being worried that Wayne is as good as gone.
LMFAO.

Boyd is playing injured.

Hammy is fucked.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
if they keep missing out on coaches they might have to give the job to Kevvy after all :smiley:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
LMFAO.

Boyd is playing injured.

Hammy is fucked.
Bennetts heaing hands no longer working on Darius's creamy hamstrings?

Maybe that's why they aren't renewing him.

I wonder if Darius Boyd retires now... he's 31. He claims he won't leave (back in May), but is Bennett prepared to wait around till he retires so they can sail off into the sunset together?

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Bennetts heaing hands no longer working on Darius's creamy hamstrings?

Maybe that's why they aren't renewing him.

I wonder if Darius Boyd retires now... he's 31. He claims he won't leave (back in May), but is Bennett prepared to wait around till he retires so they can sail off into the sunset together?
That would be the ultimate romance tale wouldn't it?

"father and son, find and fall for each other in the corrupt world of gayrl, pursuing a love against all odds, then retire together forever in holy matrimony"

Hollywood should comission a film if that happens

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
LMFAO.

Boyd is playing injured.

Hammy is fucked.
Agreed. This is why he is a better half than FB right now. Its finding the right fullback that's his issue. Its a bit late now so close to the semis to maje changes.

Status
Not open for further replies.