Renouf: Hasler's too good to be left off coaching merry-go-round Author Steve Renouf Timestamp Thu 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/08/09...-good-to-be-left-off-coaching-merry-go-round/

Coaching in the NRL is a cut-throat business as we've seen this week with the sacking of Anthony Griffin but there are always plenty of candidates ready to put up their hands up and have a crack.

Which brings me to the three candidates waiting in the wings who I believe should be the next in line.

I expect Des Hasler to be in high demand when he decides to coach again. Des took Manly to two premierships and a grand final and the Bulldogs to two grand finals in a 387-game coaching career at a win rate of 58.1%.

Those numbers don't lie and I reckon for well over a decade Hasler was regarded as one of the three best coaches in the game alongside Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett

One thing I know about Des is he was ahead of the curve when it came to sports science, technology and the use of statistics. He left no stone unturned to get an edge over his opponents.

I wasn't a fan of the way Canterbury played in the final three years of his tenure but even Wayne had some off years results wise at Newcastle.

What I did admire was the way Des got that Manly side to play. They were tough, aggressive and moved the ball beautifully. That was a team with some massive personalities in it like the Stewart brothers, Anthony Watmough and Steve Matai. To be a coach at Manly is a tough gig but Des was able to manage all those big names and get the best out of them.

I know he's copped some criticism for his roster management and back-ended deals but when a coach has left a club it is always easy to blame him. I'm sure there is more to that story.

Des is intense and he has that aura about him. I could see him at a club that needs taking to the next level and there are a few of them at the moment. Parramatta might be a good one for him. They have the players and he could make them click. I'm not too sure about Penrith. Des and Gus [Gould] together might not be a match made in heaven.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
His job was on the line couldn't even get the group to execute 1 kick return... Yeah great coach

Mr. Ditkovich

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I would love to see him at Penrith. Gould vs Des would implode the club, and maybe we could pick up a few of their juniors for cheap.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
I would love to see him at Penrith. Gould vs Des would implode the club, and maybe we could pick up a few of their juniors for cheap.
Gus wouldn't be stupid enough to give him that much power. If Dib could get rid of him, then anyone could!

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How bout you get him the head coach job at your beloved Broncos..

Brizdog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Didn't realise Renouf hated Penrith that much

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Penrith is all about giving opportunities to their juniors which Des has shown little interest in doing. For that reason alone I don’t believe he’s a good fit for Penrith

Malla

Reaction score
Fuck me that headgear he wore mustn't of did him any favours the bloke must still be concussed from his footy career.

Great centre but an absolute flog of an opinion, get farked mate.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Think The Pearl has taken too much insulin.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Those numbers don't lie and I reckon for well over a decade Hasler was regarded as one of the three best coaches in the game alongside Craig Bellamy and Wayne Bennett
One thing I know about Des is he was ahead of the curve when it came to sports science, technology and the use of statistics. He left no stone unturned to get an edge over his opponents.
I wasn't a fan of the way Canterbury played in the final three years of his tenure but even Wayne had some off years results wise at Newcastle.
Say what you want, but Renouf does have a point with this.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
But not when he reckons Des still has what it takes to coach today.
He probably does... Under 8s clubs are always looking for coaches.

Nah ... I think Des works best with an already talented side... he doesn't know how to nurture and support upcoming talent (same happened at Manly).

Would go well at a club that is reasonably well established in their ways....

fiordog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Would do better at the Tigers...I'm sure Reynolds and Mbye would welcome him with open arms...

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if lockyer had become an immortal it would have blown the whole deal

Sword

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
No no no, Des must be reunited with Mbye and Reynolds at the tigers

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Des would be a good coach if recruitment/retention and salary cap management was managed by the club and not him..

Both are a crucial aspect of the role and he made many blunders in his time here with poor roster decisions at the top of the list

Dingo

Go the dogs
Gilded
Reaction score
I don't think the Pearl would've liked to be coached by Des.

Status
Not open for further replies.