Steve Mortimer apologises for Damien Cook oversight, begs Josh Reynolds and Martin Taupau to return

Status
Not open for further replies.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
No offer was put forward to Cook. So his management started receiving a few offers not many & the Souths offer..

Cook was with his mum at Canterbury leagues chinese at that time when this was going on in background with no offer from our club. He had a meeting with the board member I met and told the board membet he would really like to stay & if their was any chance he could.

So board mrmber said hed see what he can do but ultimately its Dessies decision. Board member chatted to board and agreed to raise Cook with Des again very soon after this.

Des was adamant he didnt want Cook because it wasnt his style of player didnt suit the way he wanted team to play & Lichaa was Dessies first choice. That was end of story. Des was coach & he got the team he wanted.

No offer to Cook.

Sad story. I told board member I understand des didnt want Cook, but someone at our club should have seen the talent in Cook. We all saw it in the 5 or 6 games he played, made big line breaks in nearly all those games. I told him was wrong to give total control to Des like that as bad decisions were made by him with retention/recruitment. Too late now. Been done to death. But another sad story.

but another common theme of this is most players dont want to leave us. JT never wanted to leave, Graham, Pritchard, Ennis, Finucane, Reynolds, Morris bros none wanted to leave. Thats a small positive consolation. Just saying
The board were weak mofos

Fk Des

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No offer was put forward to Cook. So his management started receiving a few offers not many & the Souths offer..

Cook was with his mum at Canterbury leagues chinese at that time when this was going on in background with no offer from our club. He had a meeting with the board member I met and told the board membet he would really like to stay & if their was any chance he could.

So board mrmber said hed see what he can do but ultimately its Dessies decision. Board member chatted to board and agreed to raise Cook with Des again very soon after this.

Des was adamant he didnt want Cook because it wasnt his style of player didnt suit the way he wanted team to play & Lichaa was Dessies first choice. That was end of story. Des was coach & he got the team he wanted.

No offer to Cook.

Sad story. I told board member I understand des didnt want Cook, but someone at our club should have seen the talent in Cook. We all saw it in the 5 or 6 games he played, made big line breaks in nearly all those games. I told him was wrong to give total control to Des like that as bad decisions were made by him with retention/recruitment. Too late now. Been done to death. But another sad story.

but another common theme of this is most players dont want to leave us. JT never wanted to leave, Graham, Pritchard, Ennis, Finucane, Reynolds, Morris bros none wanted to leave. Thats a small positive consolation. Just saying
I’ve heard a few times of players wanting to stay... why do they want to stay? He wasn’t going to get a look in for first grade and he would of known that

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I watched Cook's first trial at Belmore , he was brilliant.
I remember telling everyone...we have a star in the making !
Pity Des didn't see it
Now I hate watching him play for Souths and hate Des even more :rage:

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
lol your kidding me! Did u even watch any of his games in first grade? Everyone could see except dessie that cook offered more than Licha in the 7 games he played. Des fuked up because he couldnt spot cooks talent and decided to spend 300k for Licha when he could have signed cook for half that amount.
Of course I watched is games in first grade... but wasn't Lichaa already signed at that stage??

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
"We also had Damien Cook under Des Hasler and there were just things Des couldn’t see in him". What an indictment of Des's poor football judgement. Every fan I know was raving about Damien Cook when he got his chance and all were in shock and disbelief when news came out that he had been let go and signed by Souths. Worst decision since choosing overrated Anasta to Thurston.

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score
It was about $50k extra that he got from Souths. Castle said it, she said we couldn’t come up with the extra $50k to keep him.

What a joke! I can’t believe we couldn’t find an extra $50k for someone who was tearing it up at dummy half and you could see he was miles ahead of Lichaa in terms of ability.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing! !

NallaC

Kennel Established
Reaction score

No offer to Cook.

It sucks for us now but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Everyone is an expert after the fact. Des made a call on a hooker. He felt lichaa was the way to go post ennis.

In hindsight it was a poor decision. Cook was a late developed player. He had played grade for saints and dogs and never really left a mark.

Souths came in with an offer snd he grew as a player behind there forward pack. He slso had a year learning off farrah.

Cooks story is so rare he could win a comp, origin, play for aust and maybe take out the daily m this year. He may also only play 100 odd nrl games.

I dont blame the the club for letting cook go. It was a decision made at the time with hindsight got wrong. I more enjoy watching cook play to his full potential like he has this year. He is a breath of fresh air in the nrl. A journey man turned star..

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hindsight is a wonderful thing! !
No hindsight blind freddy could see he was a gun ,and the $50k thing id say is an excuse he’s certainly not the type of plodder that des likes

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
It sucks for us now but hindsight is a wonderful thing. Everyone is an expert after the fact. Des made a call on a hooker. He felt lichaa was the way to go post ennis.

In hindsight it was a poor decision. Cook was a late developed player. He had played grade for saints and dogs and never really left a mark.

Souths came in with an offer snd he grew as a player behind there forward pack. He slso had a year learning off farrah.

Cooks story is so rare he could win a comp, origin, play for aust and maybe take out the daily m this year. He may also only play 100 odd nrl games.

I dont blame the the club for letting cook go. It was a decision made at the time with hindsight got wrong. I more enjoy watching cook play to his full potential like he has this year. He is a breath of fresh air in the nrl. A journey man turned star..
Everyone except Hasler saw what strike power and attacking options Cook added to the team. The bat back for Perrett's try alone showed that.

99.9% of football fans and supporters could see that Cook was an instant superstar for us and would have greatly enhanced any game plan that a modern day, flexible coach would implement for our team.

Unfortunately by then, after a few years, Hasler had turned into a thoroughly incompetent coach and student of the evolving game and was too stubborn to recognise that.

Hindsight had nothing to do with not keeping Cook and utilizing his speed and passing game and Turvey and those 99.9% of Dogs fans know it unfortunately...just another Despot fail.

Too late now but very serious failures of due care and diligence with our football program were overseen by Hasler, Dib, the Board and Castle and not many will ever forget it (or blame hindsight either I'm afraid).

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Sorry _G-Dog_ ... but you've been given the "Blame Des" version of events, in order to throw shades off the real issue.

Here is exactly what went on, from Damien Cook himself.

From Damien Cook himself: https://www.playersvoice.com.au/damien-cook-three-times-thought-was-over/#7IC7EypvhmuAzPbR.97

I actually went to the Bulldogs hoping to get a crack at fullback, but Des said, ‘We’ll start off training you at hooker and see what happens’.

Michael Ennis was still there at the time and I only got two first-grade games in my first year – one as a starter and the other off the bench. And even though Ennis was leaving at the end of the season, the Bulldogs were bringing Michael Lichaa from Cronulla for 2015. I got stuck behind Lichaa. Des would always say I was going well in NSW Cup and that I’d be next in if there was an injury, but you don’t wish that on anyone.

It was getting towards the end of the season and I hadn’t played any first grade. Canterbury hadn’t made an offer to re-sign me and no other club had come in. Again, for the third time, I thought it was all over for me.

After 23 rounds of the 2015 season, I had played a total of four first-grade games for two clubs in three seasons. I was 24 years old by this time. The older you get, the harder it is to keep snaring deals.

Then Lichaa got a season-ending injury. It was unfortunate for him, particularly with the team heading for the finals, but that’s the way it goes in footy sometimes. Someone had to play in his place and it was me. It turned out to be the biggest break I’ve had in footy.

I came in as starting hooker for round 24 against the Rabbitohs and had a great game, scoring our first try and setting up another in a 32-18 win. I scored a try in each of our wins in the last two rounds as well. We beat the Dragons in the first week of the finals and then got eliminated by the Roosters.

Souths made me an offer. There was an opening there with Issac Luke leaving for the Warriors. Then, the Bulldogs made me an offer to stay. Nothing had happened before this.

I met with Madge Maguire at the Rabbitohs. I’d watched players like John Sutton, Sam Burgess and Greg Inglis since I was a teenager and admired them. Now I had the chance to play alongside them. That was enough for me. I signed for Souths and I haven’t looked back since.

LordSidious66

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
The ones that should be apologising are Des, Castle and Dib.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I actually find the idea that Turvey wants Reynolds back as alarming. The club dodged a bullet big time by Reynolds leaving. We have unearthed a young player with potential to be a much better half than Reynolds ever was. We shouldn’t be making roster decisions because player x is a local and a good guy. We should be trying to put out the best possible team.

If Reynolds had stayed we would have countless threads about how did we ever let a gun like Lewis go? This whole Bulldogs DNA is also crap. A guy like Finucane was with us since his final year/years in high school but that’s not local enough. If Reynolds was from Penrith I doubt he’d get a mention at all

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Sorry _G-Dog_ ... but you've been given the "Blame Des" version of events, in order to throw shades off the real issue.

From Damien Cook himself: https://www.playersvoice.com.au/damien-cook-three-times-thought-was-over/#7IC7EypvhmuAzPbR.97

I actually went to the Bulldogs hoping to get a crack at fullback, but Des said, ‘We’ll start off training you at hooker and see what happens’.

Michael Ennis was still there at the time and I only got two first-grade games in my first year – one as a starter and the other off the bench. And even though Ennis was leaving at the end of the season, the Bulldogs were bringing Michael Lichaa from Cronulla for 2015. I got stuck behind Lichaa. Des would always say I was going well in NSW Cup and that I’d be next in if there was an injury, but you don’t wish that on anyone.

It was getting towards the end of the season and I hadn’t played any first grade. Canterbury hadn’t made an offer to re-sign me and no other club had come in. Again, for the third time, I thought it was all over for me.

After 23 rounds of the 2015 season, I had played a total of four first-grade games for two clubs in three seasons. I was 24 years old by this time. The older you get, the harder it is to keep snaring deals.

Then Lichaa got a season-ending injury. It was unfortunate for him, particularly with the team heading for the finals, but that’s the way it goes in footy sometimes. Someone had to play in his place and it was me. It turned out to be the biggest break I’ve had in footy.

I came in as starting hooker for round 24 against the Rabbitohs and had a great game, scoring our first try and setting up another in a 32-18 win. I scored a try in each of our wins in the last two rounds as well. We beat the Dragons in the first week of the finals and then got eliminated by the Roosters.

Souths made me an offer. There was an opening there with Issac Luke leaving for the Warriors. Then, the Bulldogs made me an offer to stay. Nothing had happened before this.

I met with Madge Maguire at the Rabbitohs. I’d watched players like John Sutton, Sam Burgess and Greg Inglis since I was a teenager and admired them. Now I had the chance to play alongside them. That was enough for me. I signed for Souths and I haven’t looked back since.
Mr I this article you've posted only further sheds light on the old regime's incompetency.

The offer to extend Cook's contract should have been made immediately after his first MOM first game against Souths.

His ability to add attacking spark to a stale plodding gameplan was overwhelming and it was clear as day.

The outcry by Dogs fans started immediately to re-sign him so there was plenty of time to do so before Cook signed with Souths.

I wrote to Castle pleading with her to keep Cook (who wanted an extension) but she replied that they had every confidence in Lichaa and that we didnt have funds to offer Cook more as a second stringer...

Your article simply highlights the incompetency by that collective old lot to recognise footballers...and Turvey is acknowledging that now because of the damage done by handing over so much of the decision making to Dib and Despot Hasler....and Cook is a lovely guy who wouldn"t dump on the club by complaining of his treatment.

His girlfriend was at pains on social media at the time to explain to disgruntled fans that he only left because he was made feel wanted and chased by Souths and offered more money and Bulldogs were uninterested...even though he wanted to stay if given the same opportunities.

This issue is ALL about recognising potentially outstanding players when they get an opportunity and admitting that Hasler got it horribly wrong and Dib let him and that's what Steve Mortimer is pointing out.

craigo

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Get off the free beers down the leagues club Turvey. You talking dribble again mate. James Graham is washed up now and josh Reynolds is shit house. Club is supposed to be going forward now not 2 steps backwards

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Mr I
This is how Hasler stuffed up,
After we signed Lichaa Ennis left us, Cook was in our reserves hooker, Hasler decided to go with Lichaa full time throwing the young hooker into the deep end, he ruined him by the fact he had to do 40 to 70 tackles a game opting to go with 4 forwards on the bench instead of having Cook as a utility and most times that extra forward was a surplus and not used.
A year later Cook left us, Few shoulder injuries later Lichaa was reduced to just an ordinary footballer
Once again thanks Des !!!

Mitch Connor

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Reaction score
Penrith and Merge threw him away before we did and tbh he only had about 4 of those big runs when he played FG with us. Did he ever show that shit in reggies?

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have so much time and respect for Turvey BUT his comments about graham and especially renoylds is nonsense.

The only player I would love back is Marty Taupau

Graham is over the hill and renoylds will not win you a competition.

I think he might know those boys on a personal level and speaking with his soft heart rather then thinking business.

Sorry turvs not with you on this one

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I have so much time and respect for Turvey BUT his comments about graham and especially renoylds is nonsense.

The only player I would love back is Marty Taupau

Graham is over the hill and renoylds will not win you a competition.

I think he might know those boys on a personal level and speaking with his soft heart rather then thinking business.

Sorry turvs not with you on this one
I agree on who we should and shouldn't bring back...
But I think what Turvey is really telling us is we shouldn't loose the players who bleeds Blue & White.

Hot Dog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree on who we should and shouldn't bring back...
But I think what Turvey is really telling us is we shouldn't lose the players who bleeds Blue & White.
Agree with this 100% and Turvey is 100% correct. Graham should've been allowed to retire at the Dogs. It is 100% the fault of the previous management that he was on a $1m back-ended contract that forced us to let him go. The way he left with the signing of Woods was nothing short of a back stabbing and the club including Mortimer should be embarrassed. Remember he still had 1 year to run on his current deal. Same goes with Reynolds. As frustrating as he could be at times there is no doubting his love for the club. The playing group loved him and this no doubt had affects on the team at the beginning of the year. Yes you can say that he was injured all year at the Tigers and its no loss, but once again when you look at who we replaced him with, Foran, it definitely was no upgrade. Another absolute embarrassing decision by the previous management. He would make the perfect 14 in any team.

I for one would love to have them both back, as well as Marty, Finucane, Ese Ese, Lafai, and Lane. I wont mention others as I don't count them as Juniors. Not that I wouldn't take back Cook in a heartbeat.

Anthony Griffin blooded 16 juniors in 3 years at Penrith and only bought 3 players, Merrin, Tamou, and Maloney. Now that's how you build a team. I am sure this will be our approach moving forward. The agreement with the Northern Rivers Region and the new development, scout, and recruitment teams will drive this strategy.

Papa Joe

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I honestly believe that Turvey has had this article released to try and save face & to try & save his position on the board .

I'm not in the inner sanctum of the politics of the board, but the way I am reading it is that Turvey is under plenty of pressure from those associated within & around the Anderson ticket on the board.

I believe that the monumental stuffs ups in recruitment whilst Turvey's time on Dib's board, is one excuse being used to try and push Turvey off the current Board.

There are still major players in & around the club who want to see Turvey ousted from any power within, due to previous indescrections whilst he was in charge, especially the way he handled the Coffs Habour Scandal .

Similar pressure is being applied to Peponis, especially after his public backing of Dib prior to the election.

That's just how I'm reading it.

Status
Not open for further replies.