On the fence: Ivan Cleary won’t commit to Tigers as Panthers lock up Nathan until 2024

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ogre

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
IVAN Cleary is still undecided about remaining at the Tigers or moving to the Panthers to coach his son.
After reading the tea leaves in the court of public opinion, the smart money was on Cleary fronting up and saying he was remaining as Wests Tigers coach for the time being.

Instead he calls a 7am meeting before training and tells the players he’s uncertain what his future holds.

While all of this conjecture and speculation and madness is going on, behind the scenes the Penrith Panthers are patiently waiting for the river card to drop.

Because let’s not kid ourselves, the real prize in all of this is the signature of the 20-year-old NSW State of Origin halfback, Nathan Cleary.

he Panthers are now bullish about the fact they’re going to re-sign the young gun Cleary on a five-year deal until the end of 2024.

Only as recently as last week there was speculation the deal for Nathan to join his Dad, Ivan, at the Wests Tigers was done.

But with the Panthers making a behind-the-scenes approach to make peace with Ivan Cleary, it now appears check mate, Penrith.

The future for his old man, Ivan, is as clear as mud right now.

Yes, he’s got a contract until the end of 2020.

But if there’s anything we’ve learned over the course of this last 48 hours it’s NRL contracts are no longer worth the paper they’re written on.

Just ask Anthony Griffin.

This is where it gets even further complicated. In sacking Griffin with two years to run on his contract, the Panthers were forced to part with well in excess of a $1 million payout.

And with the Wests Tigers threatening to go legal at Penrith for enticing Cleary to breach his existing contract, the financial collateral damage would toll well over $3 million.

Given the three coaches they’ve already paid out in the last six seasons, the last thing the Panthers need is a bidding war with lawyers involved.

Make no mistake, Ivan Cleary remains dead keen about a return to Penrith next season.

The only catch? The bus he’s created and sold at Concord.

recently as last year, when Mitchell Moses was seeking an immediate release to join the Parramatta Eels, Cleary was quoted as saying “a contract is a contract”.

So if he turns around now and tries to manoeuvre his way out of the final two years of his deal at Wests Tigers, the damage to his credibility is immense.

Cleary has spent his entire career as a player and coach building a reputation as one of rugby league’s genuine good guys.

And he is. But his integrity will not stay intact if he walked out on Wests Tigers.

There’s too many broken promises to players like Russell Packer, Josh Reynolds, Ben Matulino and Moses Mbye.

Meanwhile, it’s plain sailing at Penrith as the Panthers see how their new coaching set-up rolls under Cameron Ciraldo and Peter Wallace.

The quiet tip is they’re a damn good chance of going on a roll and winning the premiership.

With Phil Gould and Greg Alexander casting their eye over things, Ciraldo and Wallace could become one of the strongest rookie coaching combinations we’ve ever seen.

The Panthers have shown they are the new power club in the cut-throat Sydney market place.

Traditionally it has always been the Sydney Roosters and their kingpin chairman Nick Politis but what this latest move signals is, there’s a serious new player in town.

Phil Gould has been a colossal figure in rugby league for the past 30 years but this latest move - as ruthless as it is - is arguably one of his best.

By reaching out to Ivan Cleary about a return to the foot of the mountains, the Panthers are also set to land the biggest prize of all.

The NSW State of Origin halfback and Panthers local junior Nathan Cleary will remain at Penrith until at least the end of 2024.

Is it just me or does anyone else feel like we might have all just been played?

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Sounds like the bus has lost it's driver and the wheels are falling off :grinning:

Where's Tacky??? Get ready for a change of avatar. Maybe DES hahahahaha :grinning:

Last edited:

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Being a tigers supporter ? Wow, tough gig.

Boxer

THE BOSS
Reaction score
Ivan is a dead set cock, he just got sacked from the panthers and cause of his son they want him back and his running back,
Lol it’s not your coaching that Penrith are after you,
it’s cause of your son .
Glad we didn’t sign this dud.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I really thought it made more sense that Nathan would move over to the Tigers rather than Dad move back to the club that sacked him under some weird circumstances. I still don't know why he was sacked in the first place.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Feel sorry for Tigers fans.

They've inherited Mbye, and now this.

Rough few weeks.

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Most would argue Griffin is a better coach than Cleary anyway. If I were the Tigers I'd do a straight swap of the coaches.

Griffin's interview this evening on NRL 360 really put things into perspective. Other than the rumours of the coach losing the players (Which looks to have been all a lie), there's no denying he's turned that young side into a Premiership contender who even right now could go onto win it all this season.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gould trying so hard to be the modern day Bullfrog / Politis godfather figure.

Trying to Cover up his king sized cock up of sacking Ivan, so that he isn’t shot by fans if they ever lose Nathan to the Tigpies.

Weak as piss Gus.

I sooooo hope the Tigpies stop it!

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ivan & Nathan will end up at the rorters with hasbeen at penrith and griffin at tigers

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Dump you coach to bring over another coach who is the Father of the flavour of the month player?

They deserve what they get.

Shnissss

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wouldn’t it be funny if Ivan says no thanks I’ll stay at the tigers and then Nathan either follows him there or chases the coin elsewhere. Penrith left with nothing

OITENTA-E-NOVE

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
if tigers let cleary go can those dozen or so players he signed walk is well if they no longer want to be there? pretty sure the majority of them only signed on because of him

Heckler

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Sounds like the bus has lost it's driver and the wheels are falling off :grinning:

Where's Tacky??? Get ready for a change of avatar. Maybe DES hahahahaha :grinning:
Hahahahaha. The bus is now parked near Des' tractor!

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
Gould trying so hard to be the modern day Bullfrog / Politis godfather figure.

Trying to Cover up his king sized cock up of sacking Ivan, so that he isn’t shot by fans if they ever lose Nathan to the Tigpies.

Weak as piss Gus.

I sooooo hope the Tigpies stop it!
This saga is bigger than Ben Hur. When Cleary last coached Penrith they were a rabble and played off to just avoid the wooden spoon. Sacking Ivan Cleary was not a mistake. Nathan Cleary progressing to be heir apparent of the Australian halfback job at age 20 was never foreseen. Griffin has been successful in turning the local talent at Penrith into NRL players. Anyone who missed Griffin on NRL360 tonight needs to do whatever they can to see it. A man who has avoided the media over the last 6 years came out of the interview with his credibility enhanced.

Griffins sacking has everything to do with jealousy of Gould that Griffins coaching methods have proved successful and the direction Gould has been given by the Panthers board to keep Nathan Cleary at all costs.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I hope the tigers dig in and fight it all the way. Drop Cleary to reserve grade coach. Was reading an article that said Cleary's record is about 50% in coaching so maybe a he's a myth. Just proves how much of a cock Gus is and I feel sorry for Griffin having done some awesome work at that club only for Gus to roll in come finals time and seek the glory. I hope Penrith implode now, they fukin deserve it! Meanwhile is anyone at NRL central interested in the integrity of the sport?????

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder how Luai and Maloney feel about all this now. Cleary locked into one halves spot.

Status
Not open for further replies.