Scouting Stories: Chris Anderson

Status
Not open for further replies.

playon

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not exactly Bulldogs news but seeing as though Anderson has been bought in to assist I thought some might wanna read

The head coach is probably your most important signing when you start a new club.

Melbourne Storm founder and inaugural CEO John Ribot knew that and knew he had to get it absolutely right if this crazy concept of rugby league in Melbourne was going to work.

Coaches may not score points or make tackles but their ability to instil a culture of success is paramount, especially for a new football club trying to prove itself.

Thankfully Ribot did not have to go knocking door to door to find anyone interested in taking the reigns, on the contrary, they knocked on his.

Ribot and Chris Anderson knew each other from back in 1982 when they toured together with the Australian Kangaroos as players.

15 years later they had both gone on to forge rather successful career for themselves.

In 1997 Anderson was at the peak of his coaching powers with the Canterbury-Bankstown Bulldogs.

He had taken the Dogs to back-to-back NSWRL Minor Premierships in '93 and '94 before an eventual ARL Premiership in '95.

Anderson knew what it took to win, which ticked the number one box on Melbourne Storm's list.

"Everything we did around the Club was about winning, we did not want to make up the numbers," Ribot said.

"When we were doing Super League (in 1997) Chris came to me and we had a chat about him coming down and he was keen to come down. That was not a hard sell.

"We had a bit of luck there, we just knew he was going to bring a brand of coaching to us that was going to be a foundation for us for many years to come."

Anderson subsequently signed on the dotted line and the rest is history.

He coached a total of four seasons in Melbourne, winning 33 of his first 47 games at the helm.

Most importantly he delivered on the Club's mandate of winning, taking Melbourne Storm to its maiden Premiership in just its second year of existence.

Anderson also did it in style.

Ironically, like the Storm side you see today, this team under Anderson was out to entertain as well as win.

"As a Club we wanted to play a brand of football that people could really get behind," Anderson said.

"We played a flat game, an aggressive game and I think that was something important to introduce to Melbourne, with the AFL it was a point of difference. We knew we had a team that was going to be competitive with that.

"Having those experienced guys there and Chris at the helm as the coach and to win a Premiership in just our second year, he was a major factor why we achieved that.

"Chris was fantastic for the Club."

https://www.melbournestorm.com.au/news/2018/08/02/scouting-stories-chris-anderson/

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Great story and very true what was said. We have started the same way by signing Dean Pay.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I'm having trouble getting past Kimmorley looking like an absolute giant in that photo... it's rather offputting.

It's like Nelson Asofa-Solomona standing beside a midget.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
He is just the guy dean needs standing in his corner.

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I liked CA as our coach and he did a great job at Storm 20 years ago..

But none of that guarentees success at our club now in his current role.. the proof will be in the pudding if hes a success in this general manager of football type of role he has at the moment

I have my reservations as he has no recent history in the NRL and the game has changed heaps both on & off the field since he was sacked after a short failed stint at the Roosters in 2007

I would be much more confident if we had some people around who had recent success or a good recent track record to go by

Teddybear

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I liked CA as our coach and he did a great job at Storm 20 years ago..

But none of that guarentees success at our club now in his current role.. the proof will be in the pudding if hes a success in this general manager of football type of role he has at the moment

I have my reservations as he has no recent history in the NRL and the game has changed heaps both on & off the field since he was sacked after a short failed stint at the Roosters in 2007

I would be much more confident if we had some people around who had recent success or a good recent track record to go by
After watching Anthony Griffin on Nrl 360 he is the man to build a club...make him director of coaching

Status
Not open for further replies.