Panthers sack coach Anthony Griffin effective immediately

Status
Not open for further replies.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Gould sacked Cleary a few seasons ago. Why would he want to go back. I think Panthers would be better off without Gould.
From NRL.com this morning:

Panthers offer long-term deal to Ivan Cleary to leave Wests Tigers
Author
Michael Chammas Chief Reporter
Timestamp
Tue 7 Aug 2018, 10:37 AM
Share on social media
EXCLUSIVE

Penrith have offered a four-year deal to Ivan Cleary that could force the Wests Tigers to search for their fifth coach in eight years.

NRL.com can reveal the Panthers have put forward a deal to Ivan to return to the club next season until at least the end of 2022, a move that would likely trigger a multi-year extension for son Nathan at the Panthers.

Wests Tigers chairwoman Marina Go told NRL.com that if Cleary asked the club for a release he would not be granted one.

The Wests Tigers have been growing increasingly confident of luring Nathan to the club under Ivan from 2020, however the balance of power has taken a complete turn with the Panthers on the verge of securing a monumental dual coup in reuniting father and son.

Ivan informed the Tigers board on Monday night he had met with a high-ranking Panthers official two weeks ago, believed to be Panthers chairman Dave O'Neill, about the prospect of taking up a deal with Penrith, where he was sacked at the end of 2015.

It's understood O'Neill has a very close relationship with Ivan from their time together at the Panthers and has been instrumental in orchestrating the move to lure him back.
The news caught the Tigers off-guard and has cast a huge cloud over whether he will see out the final two years of his deal despite Go reiterating the club’s desire for Ivan to remain at the helm until at least 2020.

"It is my view that Ivan will be with the Wests Tigers as head coach for at least another two years as he has a contract with us," Go told NRL.com on Monday night.

The tug-of-war over the Cleary family could result in Ivan asking for a release from the final two years of his deal with the Tigers in the next 48 hours.

Ivan’s potential return would also result in Phil Gould, who told Ivan his services would no longer be required three years ago, taking on lighter duties with the club’s football operations and return to overseeing the club’s program.

It’s believed Gould only took a more hands-on approach in 2018 because of the concerns over the way Griffin was running things.

"The Ivan decision I made was in his best interest and my best interest," Gould said on Tuesday morning.

"I believed I was right at the time and that’s why the decision was made."

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Penrith will have to offer Cleary the money to buy out of his current tigs contract

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think Cleary is happy at his new home, Penrith are kidding, they already gave him the arse when the team were competitive.

obje

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Reynolds and Mbye can enjoy seeing their old mate Hasler at work for 4 years!

I read somewhere Cleary was let go of Penrith to boost Nathans career. Maybe they thought he was holding him back or something at the time, but times changed.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ivan got two has been club greats and then got the most overrated player (Mbye) and now he’s saying Goodbye lmao

adamsapple

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Very stupid letting Ivan go to begin with
Gould can justify it all he wants it was a dumb decision and dumber decision is je replaced him with Griffin

Trendsetter

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Why doesn't Gould just coach the team. He seems to be more involved than the coaches.

Same thing was said about Bennett if he becomes head of football at the Broncos. No coach would ever have 100% control over the team as long as the head/CEO have a say in what happens on field.

Gould is another DCE, eventually people will realise where the real problems stem from.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Gould would have to be the most difficult ego to work with.

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I said tongue in cheek after the bulldogs blitzed the panthers in one of our trials that griffin would be the first coach sacked this year. Didnt think it was at all likely after the first month or two though.
I must say i thought it was a rediculous coaching appointment in the first place given how it ended for him in brisbane. Still cant fathom why they fucked cleary of for that clown.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
Gould wants daddy there so son doesn’t leave..!!! That’s what it comes down too.

Trying anything he can to keep the kid at the panthers if this is truth lol.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Can't see how Panthers can even do this. That's enticing him to break contract.

If he was to leave, I'd expect he Tigers will lawyer up and sue both Cleary and Panthers.

If this happens does this mean Luai is back on open market?

Cleary, Maloney, Luai > 2 positions.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Am I the only one who thinks the star player being coached by his father at this level is not a good thing?

DoggiesBoy

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Can't see how Panthers can even do this. That's enticing him to break contract.

If he was to leave, I'd expect he Tigers will lawyer up and sue both Cleary and Panthers.

If this happens does this mean Luai is back on open market?

Cleary, Maloney, Luai > 2 positions.
Nothing i can remember has ever happened to any club for enticing people to break contracts(players or coaches), so i don't think that is really a thing.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
hopefully Hasler goes to tigers
Nah, hopefully has-lice goes to the panfers and moonface let's him have full control over roster management and signings, it's a win win situation, what could possibly go wrong? :tongueclosed:

Status
Not open for further replies.