Canterbury Bulldogs prop Aiden Tolman bounces back from injury and potential Cronulla Sharks move

Status
Not open for further replies.

beastwood89

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Aiden Tolman is back in form with the backing of Dean Pay to remain at Belmore, aware that it could well have been him and not Aaron Woods shifting to Cronulla had things panned out differently around the longest injury lay-off of his career.

Tolman led from the front once more in Canterbury's seismic 36-22 upset of Brisbane on Thursday night, continuing the impressive run that has seen him average 157 running metres and 36 tackles a game over the past month.

With the Bulldogs' salary cap woes biting hard, Woods wound up at the Sharks days before the June 30 deadline.

A few months earlier Cronulla had also registered their interest in Tolman. Like Woods and fellow Belmore departee Moses Mbye, Canterbury weren't shopping the 29-year-old prop to rivals, but open to offers aware that crunch calls had to be made for the club to claw back any clout in the player market.

Tolman's 10-week ankle injury in April – "the longest I've ever been out of footy" - took any mid-season move well and truly off the table. And a simple, honest message from Pay ensured his front-rower knew exactly where he stood.

"There's always a bit of truth in every story but that one didn't eventuate," Tolman told NRL.com.

Match Highlights: Bulldogs v Broncos - Round 21, 2018

"I'm happy where I am now. It's difficult when you're in a situation like what we've had here, you've got to keep all your options open and on the table.

"At that stage at the start of the year a new coach had come in and you'd say he didn't have the team that he probably wanted. I just had to keep playing footy but it didn't really bother me.

"It was before I got injured and there's always rumours going around and something going on somewhere, particularly with our club and the guys we've had moving on, we've had more than our fair share you'd say over the last two seasons.

"I think everyone's name has been tossed up at one point or another.

"But Deano was up front. He said 'I want you in the team and that's the end of it'.

"You can't do much more than that can you? You just move forward from there. I love the Dogs and have never wanted to leave and it didn't eventuate anyway.

"I'm here for another two seasons. That's what I need to worry about now. I love this place."

Tolman is contracted until the end of 2020, by which time he'll have racked up a decade of service in blue and white after a breakout couple of seasons with Melbourne.

A popular member of the playing group and one of the NRL's more consistent props over the past 10 years, watching his young teammates slump as low as 15th on the ladder without him was particularly tough for the Bulldogs vice-captain.

With their first back-to-back wins in over a year, Tolman can see light at the end of Canterbury's tumultuous tunnel, with a more enterprising attack in recent weeks helping his game especially as the season comes to a close.

"I'm starting to get a bit of confidence in the way we're playing and I think the style of footy we've been playing over the last month has helped everyone in our team play towards their potential," Tolman said.

"In your career you'd like to be successful every year but it's not always going to happen like that.

"There are going to be tough times where you do struggle but you just have to be honest with yourself and your teammates and you eventually will come through the other side.

"I think we're showing those positive signs now. We're starting to put some really good games together, we've still got four games to go this season and we want to finish it off on a high."

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Who can we swap Tolman for??

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
I think Tolman has been great since returning from injury.. In my opinion he will be essential for team moving forward, especially mentoring the youth coming into the team, due to his work ethics..

ive never been a fan of Tolman, but I think at the present time considering everything, his place in the team is valuable..

bcmf

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
our team is more balanced with the absence of graham and woods. I used to hate on him and I still see defeciencies in his game ie lack of explosiveness, getting dominated in tackles etc, but I can tolerate him. He brings starch to our middle.

But I do hope we’re not paying 800k a year for that. I’d be happy with 500k. At most.

Wahesh

The Forefather of The Kennel
Reaction score
Another player to Cronulla? Come on surely this has got to be a gee-up?

Kip Drordy

Kennel Established
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Signed by Des. He will be on backender for sure similar to Eastwoods.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
He's such a polarizing player.. No one can ever question his work ethic, professionalism and defence. We all take that for granted sometimes.

Still, ideally we need some fresh blood eventually and considering how much Tolman is on and how backened his deal will be, hopefully he keeps impressing and we can find another club to take him off our hands.

That has nothing to do with Tolman as a player. If he was getting paid 400-500k then he'd be worth keeping. But considering he's likely on a fair bit more, then it would be In the club's best interests to move him considering how little cap room we have and how Foran will leech another million a year from us for two more years.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
This guys value to our squad has increased this year. Last year he was dog shit in the team we had but he actually fits this year. We need someone in the middle who is experienced and has a brain. He’s the only one we have left in the middle.

oldpuppy

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
If he's on 800k and a club offers 500k then it frees up 300k.
I don't see the sense in buying a cheaper inexperienced prop with that difference. Might as well just ride it out with him . It is what is now. Im happy for him to stay given he has started to learn again the art of playing prop instead of playmaker.
He doesn't have the body size of say Aaron woods but he has heart. And that rubs off and inspires the younger and bigger bodies in the team.

c-b-b

Kennel Addict
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
As long as he does his job and keeps away at the end of the tackle count rather than taking a 1 metre hitup I can live with him being in the team.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
If he's on 800k and a club offers 500k then it frees up 300k.
I don't see the sense in buying a cheaper inexperienced prop with that difference. Might as well just ride it out with him . It is what is now. Im happy for him to stay given he has started to learn again the art of playing prop instead of playmaker.
He doesn't have the body size of say Aaron woods but he has heart. And that rubs off and inspires the younger and bigger bodies in the team.
It frees up 500k mate and there is also another factor that you ignores: escalating value of contracts

GDR

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Besides Tolman, is there anyone else eligible for the long serving player dispensations next year ??

flamebouyant

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I think you all need to keep in mind that if he is being paid $800k next year, there was also a year when he was being paid $2-300k. Its not just a bigger contract at the end of his contract, he was getting less at the beginning of it too.
I have always supported tolman. No, he is not going to break a game wide open with an explosive run, but by the same token, when everyone else looks completely spent he will chase hard in defense and make a crucial tackle to save a try late in the game.
The guy has a great motor and is a great role model for the younger guys around the club, and this is something we need during our current rebuild.

Cook

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm actually a fan of him. Def needed in my opinion, balances out our pack nicely. As for getting in the way in attacking zones, I blame the hooker. He is there as a decoy but lazy hooker gives him the ball

Bad Billy

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Ive got no issue with Tolman. I have an issue with the amount of cap he chews up.
If he was on $500k id be loving him, but hes on a back-ended "Hasler Special".

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Ive got no issue with Tolman. I have an issue with the amount of cap he chews up.
If he was on $500k id be loving him, but hes on a back-ended "Hasler Special".
He’s not on a back ended contract

Status
Not open for further replies.