The Aiden Tolman Appreciation Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

LG

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That comes down to the coach
and the halves, atleast twice tolman was just standing there and the halves just gave him an unders ball, lacking organisation and creativity, so they just give it to a forward

Tolman fits the team so much better that woods is gone, him next to kllemmer is a good front row combination

ILiveForDib

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I despise how he receives the ball on the 4th a lot. This is seemingly down to coaching however excluding that he has been very untolman like haha

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Tolman standing out doesn't reflect well on our other middle forwards (obviously with the exception of Klemmer)

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
That comes down to the coach
I thought that for the last couple of years. New coach this year. Does the same thing.

I don’t have an issue with him in the team. He does the dirty work. A lot of which goes unnoticed. He definitely has a role in the team.

He doesn’t seem to understand that when in the attacking 20m. A settler on the 4th is never what is required. Get out of the way.

This is him wanting to be involved. Nothing to do with the coach.

Bozzo

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Tolman makes a big difference in the middle defensively... need 1 player like that in our team...

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Still wasting tackles with pointless hit ups in the attacking 20 and still constantly getting in the way of our own attacking line. Needs to get those things out of his game. His running, passing and tackling have been pretty good so credit there.

Malla

Reaction score
I think he is best served at lock where he can pretty much be a tackle machine. Much like the role Grimaldi played with us.

gee333

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I thought that for the last couple of years. New coach this year. Does the same thing.

I don’t have an issue with him in the team. He does the dirty work. A lot of which goes unnoticed. He definitely has a role in the team.

He doesn’t seem to understand that when in the attacking 20m. A settler on the 4th is never what is required. Get out of the way.

This is him wanting to be involved. Nothing to do with the coach.
maybe true... if so though, hooker and halves should be dominating what happens and get him out of the 4th play...

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Have always loved his work ethic. He is the type of player every club needs. Always reliable.
I am convinced that his critics dont really understand what RL is all about.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Tolman is a toiler. One of those no frills players that just tucks it under the arm and runs. In recent times he's started to develop an offload, but there is nobody around to sniff them out.

Tonight he was brilliant.

68 minutes
22 runs for 159m
1 tackle break
17 hitups
42 tackles / 0 missed
His workload is good but it's not effective. Does he break the line? No.
Does he offload where he is a threat to the defence? No
Does he have the mongrel to intimidate? No.
Do teams fear him? Absolutely not.

Tolman is your typical no frills player but that's not who we need in our team. He is your Des Hasler robot that will do the little things right statistically with no flair. This has proven not to cut it to win a premiership.
We need a forward that has that intimidation factor with and without the ball, mobility to break the defence and create options through the forwards with ball skills.

Tolman has been a good servant for the Dogs but it's time to try and offload him asap.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
His workload is good but it's not effective. Does he break the line? No.
Does he offload where he is a threat to the defence? No
Does he have the mongrel to intimidate? No.
Do teams fear him? Absolutely not.

Tolman is your typical no frills player but that's not who we need in our team. He is your Des Hasler robot that will do the little things right statistically with no flair. This has proven not to cut it to win a premiership.
We need a forward that has that intimidation factor with and without the ball, mobility to break the defence and create options through the forwards with ball skills.

Tolman has been a good servant for the Dogs but it's time to try and offload him asap.
Exactly. You can't question his workrate, effort or ability as a cover defender, but you can question his place in the modern game because he lacks what a forward needs these days. People talking him up as this workhorse that you need is nothing but fucking shit.

There's only 2 players in the NRL that consistently plays big minutes through the middle and that's Jake Trbojevic and Sam Burgess. These players justify the big minutes because they offer enough with and without and the ball over extended periods, Tolman doesn't. He has no pace or footwork, no offload, no tackle breaking ability, no ball playing ability, no hard hitting defence, no fast play the balls, just nothing. People that think he needs to be on the park for extended minutes don't know fucking shit.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
People keep rabbiting on about tackle breaks being an essential part of a props game. So how many props are there in the NRL that break tackles consistently?
There is a couple who might do 2 per game. The defence is now very solid in the NRL that tackle breaks are very few.
A more important requirement would be an offload. Not many practice that as well. Woods was one who did.
One of the reason he plays big minutes is because the other forwards cant. Simple as that.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Always liked and rated tolman.
Sure, he struggles to break the line and never really offloads, but he always does more than is required with his hitups and defence, and is the definition of underappreciated. I stand by what I said before, every team needs a player like him.

It's funny that everyone bags him constantly, then when we win and suddenly a lot of the haters seem to jump on the bandwagon.

Ahhh, i love the kennel :tearsofjoy::tearsofjoy:

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
He cops a bad wrap on here but with klemmer he is the perfect foil the issue was haslers stupid game plan and hopeless lichha passing it to him in opp 20 ,i know a couple of current nrl players and he is very highly regarded amongst the players

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
yeah, last few years he has taken a bit of a battering. But I think its because he always seemed like a less effective James Graham and we didn't need two of them in the team. we needed some aggression and a spark and Klemmer was wasted at Lock.

Now we don't have Graham Tolman does the job that we need him to do. I would be happy to hold onto him as long as he is not costing an arm and a leg. What he does in defense (No not Dominant) no one else in the team does, and leaves a big hole when he is not on the field. Maybe eventually we'll find a better version to partner Klemmer. Maybe it'll be Ogden or Toomaga eventually but until then he has a place in the team.

berries67

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I think Tolman and Klemmer are a good balance. Tolman is not flash but an honest toiler with tons of experience that can assist the other younger forwards. As well he is consistent and reliable, He rarely drops the ball or gives away a penalty. He does need to get out of the way after the second tackle in our attacking zone. I agree he is worth keeping as long as it is for a reasonable amount.

Last edited:

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
Outstanding again.

162 metres, 37 tackles (1 missed).

Please someone tell me again how there's no room for a forward of Tolman's ilk in our lineup.

Status
Not open for further replies.