The Smarts of a Genuine Halfback

Status
Not open for further replies.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Your honor the defence would like to play the clip of this years NSW Cup game where Matt Frawley only needed to kick the ball dead in the dieing minute of the game, and instead kicked straight into a player who ran 80m to score under the posts and seal the win for the opposition.

Haha that's why I posted his Canberra clips before he came to the Dogs and like many others before him went to shit

jasonsmith11

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
we need a super busy halve like a JT or DCE or mick ennis, we aint gonna get anywhere jerking around about a players public image

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
we need a super busy halve like a JT or DCE or mick ennis, we aint gonna get anywhere jerking around about a players public image
Lewis will be that once the forwards stop hogging all the strike zone ball.. he's shown how enthusiastic he is already

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Because in 2012 we had a proper coach that developed an effective system that our players could execute.

Can't help but feel some people think a couple of roster changes will make a huge difference to our side in the future. Still need a good coach to nail the basics of the system so the players around the key players are always doing the right things. You can't just play footy off the top of your head anymore.
Yes and No bro.
It can't be all coach and it can't be all players. Players still need to have good instincts, you can't coach that.

As a local, I've been to so many training sessions and captain runs at Belmore and I've seen the greatest attacking drills by our boys you'd think it was the Melbourne Storm out there.
Then when game day comes, it's just not there mate. Some players just don't have the confidence and skill to do what they do at training in a game of NRL on game day. This must drive some coaches insane.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Matt Frawley is actually quite an intelligent half.. it's just a pity he hasn't been able to reproduce junior form in first grade... or maybe our spine is tainted because we haven't seen decent attack on a consistent basis for a looooong time
Frawley has, intermittently, shown he can have more attacking vision than any of our halves over the past 7-odd years. But he’s so inconsistent, and seems to get flustered.

He reminds me of the State of Origin version of Mitchel Pearce.

Raikkonen

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Call me crazy - but Kris Keating was the perfect foil for our team in 2012. We just needed a little organisation, the off-the-cuff outside running of Reynolds, and Barba chiming into the backline.

But if you want to talk out and out HB's - then yes, we haven't really had a decent one since Noddy.
Yep, we haven’t had a competent half since Noddy.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Its a bit of a captain obvious moment lol. I wouldnt expect 2 junior halves with single digit fg games to emulate Sherwin, who was a premiership winning half.
That's exactly my point. We get so many people blaming this and that for our crap attack, but overlook who we have in the halves. Fact is we havent had a decent halve sinbce Noddy and Sherwin before him.

Yes, it's obvious but sometimes people need the obvious pointed out to them.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kris Keating was a weapon and brought great value during his time with us. Dean needs to fuck the dinosaur structures off and give Lachy and JMK a license to play some footy, because if I see Tolman and Klemmer getting all the red zone ball tonight, I'm switching off.. probably

What do you actually think jmk can show us?

What has he shown you in attack that excites you?

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Frawley has, intermittently, shown he can have more attacking vision than any of our halves over the past 7-odd years. But he’s so inconsistent, and seems to get flustered.

He reminds me of the State of Origin version of Mitchel Pearce.

Plus he is the worst defender in bulldogs history.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Yes and No bro.
It can't be all coach and it can't be all players. Players still need to have good instincts, you can't coach that.

As a local, I've been to so many training sessions and captain runs at Belmore and I've seen the greatest attacking drills by our boys you'd think it was the Melbourne Storm out there.
Then when game day comes, it's just not there mate. Some players just don't have the confidence and skill to do what they do at training in a game of NRL on game day. This must drive some coaches insane.
Yes It's all about balance, but the influence of the coach is more important at NRL level imo. Training is all about preparation, if what you do at training doesn't translate to what you want to do on game day then there are issues that need to be addressed. Players are one, but i still firmly believe Pay is a massive issue.

Look at the difference between Souths this season and last season, the difference a change of coach made to virtually the same squad was huge. Souths are still very structured and have plenty of little setplays with variations, but they now have more freedom within their structures and the players around the key players know how to react when they start playing some footy.

We currently have nothing. No real instinctively talented players, terrible structures in place, etc. Pay is a failure and i don't care what anyone says, the bloke simply should have changed more by now even with limited players to work with. So many things he does are fucking baffling, he just reminds be of the substitute teacher in highschool that could never get the class to shutup because they were totally out of their depth in the highschool environment lol.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes It's all about balance, but the influence of the coach is more important at NRL level imo. Training is all about preparation, if what you do at training doesn't translate to what you want to do on game day then there are issues that need to be addressed. Players are one, but i still firmly believe Pay is a massive issue.

Look at the difference between Souths this season and last season, the difference a change of coach made to virtually the same squad was huge. Souths are still very structured and have plenty of little setplays with variations, but they now have more freedom within their structures and the players around the key players know how to react when they start playing some footy.

We currently have nothing. No real instinctively talented players, terrible structures in place, etc. Pay is a failure and i don't care what anyone says, the bloke simply should have changed more by now even with limited players to work with. So many things he does are fucking baffling, he just reminds be of the substitute teacher in highschool that could never get the class to shutup because they were totally out of their depth in the highschool environment lol.
I hear ya, and it's entirley your opinion.

But i believe comparing us to Souths is just not fair to be honest.
For starters Souths have had a better structure than us for years, from the Des vs Maguire days( I havent forgotten Desball) and they have great players in key positions who a very capable of executing plays and who are used to their plays and know their coach because he was their assistant.
All that their new coach had to do was tweak it a little bit as he knew all their strucutres and set plays already being assistant to Maguire, plus their coach didn't have to worry about constant salary cap dramas and releasing players mid season and constantly trying to motivate players. They even had two top class hookers in their squad at one stage to us none.

Yes, Pay does remind me of that same substitute teacher as well lol....but I think the issue is more than Pay mate.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
What do you actually think jmk can show us?

What has he shown you in attack that excites you?

Nothing yet, but our attack won't get any better if we don't try.. we do more hitups in the opposition 20 than any other team which would be ok if we were setting up for something and not dying with it on the last in most cases

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I hear ya, and it's entirley your opinion.

But i believe comparing us to Souths is just not fair to be honest.
For starters Souths have had a better structure than us for years, from the Des vs Maguire days( I havent forgotten Desball) and they have great players in key positions who a very capable of executing plays and who are used to their plays and know their coach because he was their assistant.
All that their new coach had to do was tweak it a little bit as he knew all their strucutres and set plays already being assistant to Maguire, plus their coach didn't have to worry about constant salary cap dramas and releasing players mid season and constantly trying to motivate players. They even had two top class hookers in their squad at one stage to us none.

Yes, Pay does remind me of that same substitute teacher as well lol....but I think the issue is more than Pay mate.
Yes Souths have the better roster, but my point was more about how he turned around non performers into performers and made overall improvements to the team. Pay has yet to make any improvements imo, both individual and as a team and that's why i just can't believe in him.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Yes Souths have the better roster, but my point was more about how he turned around non performers into performers and made overall improvements to the team. Pay has yet to make any improvements imo, both individual and as a team and that's why i just can't believe in him.
The Souths coach has done a great job, but i'd like to see how he'd go if he walked into a club needing an entire rebuild.

I'd also like to see how good Robinson goes at the roosters without Politis giving him an unlimited amout of cap space to spend on players. That 2013 premiership winning side was just LOL

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Dean Pay is faced with the same problem Bart Cummings would have, if he tried to win a major race with a few donkeys. You cant win much without a strong roster. The roster we have is basically weak. The dead wood is slowly being removed and replaced with enthusiastic youngsters. I know certain parts of the Forum rubbish every young guy we recruit, but they will rise above all the negative criticism. Pay has a good track record with young players.

Phalangist

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Nothing yet, but our attack won't get any better if we don't try.. we do more hitups in the opposition 20 than any other team which would be ok if we were setting up for something and not dying with it on the last in most cases

Agree need to piss this pass to the prop on when on the attack

But jmk is not the answer!

berries67

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Lewis will be that once the forwards stop hogging all the strike zone ball.. he's shown how enthusiastic he is already
Tackles 3,4 and 5 in red zone should go to a half. Forwards get out of the way. Dummy half should be looking for halves who need to be in position. Perhaps easier said than done.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
The Souths coach has done a great job, but i'd like to see how he'd go if he walked into a club needing an entire rebuild.

I'd also like to see how good Robinson goes at the roosters without Politis giving him an unlimited amout of cap space to spend on players. That 2013 premiership winning side was just LOL
Well we won't ever know, we can only judge them on what we see. I don't rate Robinson in the slightest, no idea why he's still the Roosters coach lol. Maybe he's good at managing all the egos and personalities? Lol

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Frawley = Intelligent......Really? tell me more LOL **** needs to have shave and wake up to himself and depart the scene!!

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
Frawley = Intelligent......Really? tell me more LOL **** needs to have shave and wake up to himself and depart the scene!!

If you watch the Raiders footage it's clear he had a fair footballing mind, but unfortunately left it in the ACT

Status
Not open for further replies.