Rhyse Martin re-signs one year deal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Moedogg

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Im not really worried about his age of 25, as long as he is playing for us in his peak years. Im not expecting him to be a 10 year veteran, maybe 2-3 years would be good value until we identify a young backrower. Jeremy Smith was 24 I think when he made his debut.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Would have been smarter to sign him for 2years..his value wouldnt be that high & I expect his price to go up next year..

with a 1 year deal hes able to negotiate with any club from Nov this year so how he goes next year can become pointless..
Club tried for multi year but he wanted just one year

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
I guarantee you that his manager got him the one year deal only so when we get through the salary cap drama in the next 12-18 months and have a better idea of what cap space we have, they will negotiate a better upgraded deal.
Probably about right. If he has a good 2019 he would be due for a decent upgrade, so its also good for Martin. Dont want any more back ended deals hoping players come good and earn the bigger money either. At least this way we will know if hes worth more before we pay more. I think he will be a good one myself.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Exactly what I thought.. no club wants a 1 yr deal generally..

This was Martin playing hardball not other way around
Everyone knows if he keeps it up his value will increase. Good to see that he backs himself though!

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Everyone knows if he keeps it up his value will increase. Good to see that he backs himself though!
Really who cares, because at the end of the day if another club wants to pay overs and buy him then good luck to them.
We are not going to be dictated by any other club, player or player manager anymore. We pay what we think someone is worth.
The salary cap is a game of chess, you get it right you increase your chance of winning titles.

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Exactly what I thought.. no club wants a 1 yr deal generally..

This was Martin playing hardball not other way around
For sure, and good on him. Probably could have got more money somewhere else next year so shows a bit of loyalty and backs himself for a bigger contract after that.

Even though it's not what the club wanted it's a good result for for us. He's playing for a contract again next year so should put in.

Novdoggie

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
It was only ever Super League or the dogs. I’m glad he stayed.

1 year deal is strategic, and very smart. Reason being the back ended deals hit their peak in 2020 not in 2019, so dogs have to be very careful who they sign for 2020.
True but I think you'll find that the 2020 backended deals will move in 2019 ( some anyway ) so 2020 won't be as bad as it was looking before releasing woods and mbye. I'd say the likes of Tolman and Hoppa will only see out 2019 because the dogs will be telling them there will be no contract extension so they're free to look elsewhere. Get rid of these two next year and 2020 will be the year we see the light.

Dognacious

Kennel Immortal
Staff member
Administrator
Premium Member
NF Draft Champion
Reaction score
True but I think you'll find that the 2020 backended deals will move in 2019 ( some anyway ) so 2020 won't be as bad as it was looking before releasing woods and mbye. I'd say the likes of Tolman and Hoppa will only see out 2019 because the dogs will be telling them there will be no contract extension so they're free to look elsewhere. Get rid of these two next year and 2020 will be the year we see the light.
Nothing wrong with hoppa imo

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I'm with you there.
He seems to cop it rather unfairly on here, I just wish he was quick
I think if he had a little more acceleration, we would already have our rockstar fullback.

I still find it hard to work out what our side will look like next year if Meaney is playing fullback.... I wonder if Hoppa plays left centre if he will have a greater impact. Right centre he seems to be mostly ineffective, but maybe if he got better quality ball....

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I think if he had a little more acceleration, we would already have our rockstar fullback.

I still find it hard to work out what our side will look like next year if Meaney is playing fullback.... I wonder if Hoppa plays left centre if he will have a greater impact. Right centre he seems to be mostly ineffective, but maybe if he got better quality ball....
I think his best position is fullback and he'll stay there, unless meaney goes above and beyond and kills it pre season, I don't think he'll come straight in

Last edited:

Powerslide

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think his best position is fullback and he'll stay there, unless meaney goes above and beyond and kills it pre season, I'm don't think he'll come straight in
We better hurry up and sign a centre then, otherwise next year we will have Holland and maybe Montoya as our centres in our strongest team.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We better hurry up and sign a centre then, otherwise next year we will have Holland and maybe Montoya as our centres in our strongest team.

Yep, you're not wrong there. Hopefully we have a few decent signings in the pipe-line

berries67

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Martin re signing is a shinning light in one our darkest times, One year is a good deal at this point. If he continues to improve hopefully we may be in a better position to extend after that.
Tolman and Hopoate both could serve us well for a few years but I get the impression they are being paid more than their worth. With more realistic payments in their next contracts they could be of value.

Last edited:

berries67

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Really who cares, because at the end of the day if another club wants to pay overs and buy him then good luck to them.
We are not going to be dictated by any other club, player or player manager anymore. We pay what we think someone is worth.
The salary cap is a game of chess, you get it right you increase your chance of winning titles.
Agree 100%. I think we need a few people in the club devoted to managing the cap. The days of one person, a coach, having so much power in player contracts, which I get the impression was the Hasler system, was madness. Never again. It's probably no coincidence that three clubs with recent cap problems, Eels, Manly and Dogs, all struggling at bottom.

Dawain87

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I cant wait till clubs start offering 6-month deals and if they dnt perform we can move them off before the 30th June deadline.

TalDog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Great news. Im glad its just a one year deal. Im not a big fan of these massive multi year deals that are given out these days. It may come back to haunt us if he has a blinder of a year next year and we ha e to pay a lot more to re-sign him. But this way he really needs to step it up a notch in order to be re-sigbed again, and if he doesnt perform we can move him on and we will have a bit more in our kitty. well played board.
Oh, and to all the clowns losing their shit because of a speculative news article as per usual, i hope you have learned to hold your tongue in future.
He asked for 1 year is backing himself to earn a bigger contract

Also said he would have gone overseas as he loves the club and doesn’t want to play against the dogs in the nrl

And this guy only joined us

New fav

Snowmann

Party Rocker
Reaction score
An anomaly about the 1 year contract is that, if he goes off for the rest of the season, after Nov 1, other teams can sign him to play in 2020..that would be fucking weird to have announced him for staying in 19, but leaving in 20.

Status
Not open for further replies.