NRL is a FAIL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roll the Bones

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the NRL is hopeless too, but not for the reasons you mentioned. More just ‘in general’. Decisions made by out of touch and/or incompetent management, decisions influenced by gambling organisations, ludicrous scheduling of games (6pm games in Sydney – yeah that works), inconsistent draw - some teams play top teams twice in first 8 weeks whilst others play them once during origin period when they have their stars missing, obscene price of tickets – especially origin and grand final, weekly refereeing and bunker debacles, poor quality and unprofessional processes and management at some grounds (sin bin timekeeping fiasco, some NRL grounds don’t even have a medicab on hand), seemingly no real long-term strategy for country and grassroots footy, lack of transparency regarding the true salary cap status of clubs etc etc.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
As much as I'd love to blame the nrl, I just can't. As has been stated countless times, it's our previous board and coach that allowed this colossal fuck up to happen. The nrl can't hold every clubs hand and oversee every poor decidion that's made.
Budgeting for a 10+ million salary cap when it only turned out to be 9.4 was a imbecilic move.
We're supposed to be a "professional" organisation after all.

I'm sure a lot of people will disagree but that's just what I think
We have to own it for sure. But the NRL are facilitating what amounts to cheating the sc anyway because in any one year a team could have say up to a 12 million dollar roster with backend deals and the next year only 8 mill. It should be banned because backending, ratchets artificially inflate or deflate the mandatory 9.1-9.4 mill sc. The NRL is the governing body so have to own that manipulation that the clubs are trying on and that they aren't effectively policing.

The excuse that they thought the new sc 10 mill is bs and doesn't hold up....we are in it up to our eyeballs and waaay over that amt it appears.

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
We have to own it for sure. But the NRL are facilitating what amounts to cheating the sc anyway because in any one year a team could have say up to a 12 million dollar roster with backend deals and the next year only 8 mill. It should be banned because backending, ratchets artificially inflate or deflate the mandatory 9.1-9.4 mill sc. The NRL is the governing body so have to own that manipulation that the clubs are trying on and that they aren't effectively policing.

The excuse that they thought the new sc 10 mill is bs and doesn't hold up....we are in it up to our eyeballs and waaay over that amt it appears.
Yep, have to agree with you there wendog.
Bottom line the nrl is seriously out of touch and laughed at by rival codes such as the a-league and afl. I don't think the powers that be have any clue how to fix the shitstorm they created.

If I were the arl, I would oust greenturd and put Phil moonface Gould in charge, he may talk a lot of drivel but there's no denying he knows the game and the whole organisation would benefit massively if he was running the show

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Yep, have to agree with you there wendog.
Bottom line the nrl is seriously out of touch and laughed at by rival codes such as the a-league and afl. I don't think the powers that be have any clue how to fix the shitstorm they created.

If I were the arl, I would oust greenturd and put Phil moonface Gould in charge, he may talk a lot of drivel but there's no denying he knows the game and the whole organisation would benefit massively if he was running the show
Gus reckons Politis should run the show tho ...with all his connections and top knotch advisers.

CBDoggies

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
and moore it sounds like your on the current board so please explain after getting rid of close to 5million dollars worth of talent how on earth we are still struggling in regards to the salary cap ?????????
I made a thread about this a few months ago when it was all unravelling... a lot agreed with what I had to say and others laughed in my face. But what I mentioned was I reckon this new board is using the salary cap issue to there advantage and just getting rid of everyone they don’t want. Making it out that it’s part of the ‘cleaning out’ process. But what they don’t realise is that there isn’t anyone of great value left in signing. Yes they want to bleed new young players etc and get the cap in a lot better position. But how are they possibly chasing oats if we are that bad salary cap wise.
Mbye and woods was a very smart decision to get rid of. But last year they stuffed up in getting rid of graham and renoylds. Love josh or hate him the kid loved the club and played for the jersey. He was the true meaning of the bulldog brand and they threw him out like garbage. Who cares pay the kid what West’s paid him and fuck off mbye who done absaloutly nothing for the club since he signed. All these players they got rid off would eventually have paid its toll on the others. If these players meant nothing to the club then no one was safe and it’s clearly showing. We can’t attract anyone to the club and current players want out.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How do Dib, Hasler and Castle walk the streets these days with any dignity is beyond me, what an embarrassment. Its like shitting yourself at the high school assembly, u just don't live that shit down.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thursday nights are DEAD, the NRL must have rocks in their heads.
Not much to play for in the middle of the week at night to an empty stadium, have we won on a Thursday yet?

Rodzilla

Terry Lamb 1996
Reaction score
greenberg wants us to fail without him or his friend dib

seven07

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I made a thread about this a few months ago when it was all unravelling... a lot agreed with what I had to say and others laughed in my face. But what I mentioned was I reckon this new board is using the salary cap issue to there advantage and just getting rid of everyone they don’t want. Making it out that it’s part of the ‘cleaning out’ process. But what they don’t realise is that there isn’t anyone of great value left in signing. Yes they want to bleed new young players etc and get the cap in a lot better position. But how are they possibly chasing oats if we are that bad salary cap wise.
Mbye and woods was a very smart decision to get rid of. But last year they stuffed up in getting rid of graham and renoylds. Love josh or hate him the kid loved the club and played for the jersey. He was the true meaning of the bulldog brand and they threw him out like garbage. Who cares pay the kid what West’s paid him and fuck off mbye who done absaloutly nothing for the club since he signed. All these players they got rid off would eventually have paid its toll on the others. If these players meant nothing to the club then no one was safe and it’s clearly showing. We can’t attract anyone to the club and current players want out.
Mate thank god there are level headed people like yourself on this hell hole of a site. By going about there business in the way they are, all player managers are gonna be using it to there advantage ever players staying completely away from us or adding extra 0000 to there asking price.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Reynolds and Graham were pushed out by the old crew... Along with Tapau, Finucane, Ennis and Pritchard who were always part of a wider bulldog brand.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Steve talking about Dib the person not Dib the Rugby league club Chairman. At the end of the day if he was a good business man he would have never signed off on completely blown out contracts so the blame will always fall back on Hasler, Castle and the Chairman.
So Steve was asking for members to vote for Dib the person but that wasn't what the election was about...it was effectively asking to re-instate Dib the incompetent Bulldogs Chair (and his Board). They all have responsibility.

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We are the least of the NRLs problems... and do you honestly think Greenberg cares about our clubs demise, given he could simply stamp out such contracts or state they cannot be registered with the NRL.

Maybe it's about time the NRL looked to overwork the system. Rather than CLUBS paying players, the NRL does.
I have been saying this for a long time. The NRL gives the clubs a Grant Well in excess of the Salary Cap.

If the minimum Wage is $100,000. The basic NRL club grant should be cut back to 3,000,000, to which all NRL players sign with their club as their Professional club contract.

If the Cap is 9.4 million that leaves 6.4 million to be distributed amongst players from every club.

Every player sits down with their manager, the club and the NRL. All three sign of on the terms of the deal. The NRL then pays the player this contract money.

As part of this process, all offers, from all clubs are also put on the table for the NRL to see what some players are being offered elsewhere.

From this the NRL should have a very clear view of a players actually worth. TPA's are the evil beast in the Salary Cap.

TPA's need to controlled also. I am not sure what the NRL know about individual TPA's. Do the clubs need to show these figures to the NRL?

My Idea:
If a club offers $1millon within the cap to a given player, and that player agrees to sign elsewhere for $700k based on the fact they are getting $500k TPA payment that is fine.

The $300k difference in cap offer, should be taken out of the remaining NRL Club Grant for the signing team.

So the player is still getting their $1.2million but the club is losing Grant money for the privilege.

Basically meaning every club will receive a different grant based on how they manage their salary cap.

Status
Not open for further replies.