Hoppa!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Please give examples. And not just who u like that u believe we can get by "throwing a bag of money at them",i mean someone available that we really could have gotten. Keeping in mind we havent had money to buy big names since Pay has been here.

Fuck there are some dopey comments in this place currently.
Sorry we all cant be as clever as you champ

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
Watch pay move hoppa from fullback and put meanie there,hoppa should stay our fb

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hoppa is a fantastic fb. With proper havles and a good hooker he will kill it even more. Apparently his on "fb money" so may as well play him there. Moving him to centre is suicide he cant defend there.

Leave Hoppa at fb long-term and buy 2 speedy centres that can also defend. I can live you with Smith and Montoya on the wings as long as they have good defensive centres inside them.

Last edited:

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
1. Holland
6. Hoppa
7. Lewis
9. JMK/Brown

Imo we should run out like this next week. Hoppa is basically finding himself in the same situation Moses did for much of this season and that's being left up to to the bulk of the playmaking from a wider position with his inside men doing very little and limited support on his outside. Move Hoppa into the 6 further infield with more options available and see what he can do, his footy instincts are probably the best of anyone in our current 17 and his ball skills are really good. I could easily see him playing into the line and delivering a perfectly weighted short ball for Jackson and Martin to charge onto for example.

Give Holland a run at fullback, bloke apparently trained at fullback during the off season and looked strong at the back when he played there in the ISP. He also gives us a little more pace and agility at the back. It's worth a shot to see what he can do from there for us.

JMK and Brown also need to be rotated at hooker for the remainder of the season, give them something like a 45/35 split. There isn't a lot of creativity in the side and our gameplan is simple shit, so why not look for a spark at hooker with some added pace and less fatigued players. Brown deserves an increase in minutes and has the bonus of being a decent kicking option out of dh while JMK is never going to make it as a half so why not give him more of a run at hooker where he looks the most likely of being a competent squad player?

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Holland needs to fuck right off to ISP and learn to tackle again.

He's like a fart after beers and bad tacos.

You might have a few safe farts, but eventually you'll strain your blurter and shit your pants.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Someone in the rumour section reckons Hoppa is on match payments only lol

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
So his back ended contract is on Pays watch not Des right?
I think too much blame is put on des with some of the ridiculous salaries.
I wouldn't say under Pays watch I would say under DIBS watch.

Horse

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score
1. Holland
6. Hoppa
7. Lewis
9. JMK/Brown

Imo we should run out like this next week. Hoppa is basically finding himself in the same situation Moses did for much of this season and that's being left up to to the bulk of the playmaking from a wider position with his inside men doing very little and limited support on his outside. Move Hoppa into the 6 further infield with more options available and see what he can do, his footy instincts are probably the best of anyone in our current 17 and his ball skills are really good. I could easily see him playing into the line and delivering a perfectly weighted short ball for Jackson and Martin to charge onto for example.

Give Holland a run at fullback, bloke apparently trained at fullback during the off season and looked strong at the back when he played there in the ISP. He also gives us a little more pace and agility at the back. It's worth a shot to see what he can do from there for us.

JMK and Brown also need to be rotated at hooker for the remainder of the season, give them something like a 45/35 split. There isn't a lot of creativity in the side and our gameplan is simple shit, so why not look for a spark at hooker with some added pace and less fatigued players. Brown deserves an increase in minutes and has the bonus of being a decent kicking option out of dh while JMK is never going to make it as a half so why not give him more of a run at hooker where he looks the most likely of being a competent squad player?
Hoppa at fullback last weekend turned in probably the strongest individual performance from any of our backs this season. Ran for 300 metres, was positionally outstanding defusing all their kicks and producing a couple of try saving tackles. Yet you want to shift him into the halves and take half of his strengths out of the equation?

I do see merit however in the suggested split between the hookers, though I'd stick with Lichaa/Brown for the remainder of the season, just use them a bit smarter. For all his attacking flaws, Lichaa's still quite comfortably the best defensive hooker we've got and can do a job weathering the early storm in the first 25-30 mins against the fresh big and mobile packs that most teams possess these days.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Hoppa at fullback last weekend turned in probably the strongest individual performance from any of our backs this season. Ran for 300 metres, was positionally outstanding defusing all their kicks and producing a couple of try saving tackles. Yet you want to shift him into the halves and take half of his strengths out of the equation?

I do see merit however in the suggested split between the hookers, though I'd stick with Lichaa/Brown for the remainder of the season, just use them a bit smarter. For all his attacking flaws, Lichaa's still quite comfortably the best defensive hooker we've got and can do a job weathering the early storm in the first 25-30 mins against the fresh big and mobile packs that most teams possess these days.
It's not about him as an individual, it's about what's best for the team. I also reject the idea that it's taking away half his strengths as a lot of what he's doing would be even more effective as a half.

The creativity from Lewis and JMK as a whole is almost non existent atm and Hoppa is basically stuck in the same halfback/fullback hybrid role that Moses was stuck playing for us this season. If Hoppa shifts infield to 6 then that gives him more options to play with and someone else at fullback to play off the space he creates instead of just our usual shitty shift to Hoppa on the edge with only the centre and winger to work with.

You also said this was probably one of the strongest individual performances from one of our backs this season, i kind of disagree and agree with that at the same time. As well as he played and as good as he looked he still didn't influence the final result enough. You can say we were unlucky with a few things that didn't come off or some great last ditch defence from Souths, but like i said the result still wasn't there and we lost. Compare that to Moses round 2 performance against the Panthers where he made 4 line breaks, scored 2 tries, broke 14 tackles, etc. That influenced the final result more so than Hoppa's performance.

Now my point here isn't who played the better game, my point here is that i think Hoppa would have better influenced the final result in the 6 for us than he did in 1 last week. He might not of had all those metres and offloads but i definitely think he would have created some more clear cut chances...and if Pay is as good as some people want to believe because he's "trying things", then surely shifting our most instinctive footballer to 6 is worth a try? Holland even got a run at 9, Hoppa at 6 isn't anywhere near as crazy as that.

KLil

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

He had the same game against Canberra last yr... Hop will go flat again.

EB18

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
1. Holland
6. Hoppa
7. Lewis
9. JMK/Brown

NO

HaceDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Not to mention 1 line break, 1 line break assit and 1 try assit. He has to be our long-term fullback fullstop. We need 2 purchase 2 quality centres for next season. Dylan Walker might be worth a punt. Hell even jarryd hayne.

I could live with a back 5 of 1. Hoppa 2. Montoya 3. Hayne. 4. Walker 5. Smith.
You lost me at Montoya

Status
Not open for further replies.