Turning Point - One poor decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Ive been saying for most of this year, that the team lacks a good leader. JJ is a wonderful player, but he doesnt cut it as a tactical skipper.
I fully realise that there is not a great pool of potential skippers in waiting, but that is what is needed.
A competent skipper could have closed out that game.
I totally agree, Been saying it since Ennis left.
I was very surprised that JJ got captaincy don't get me wrong I
Love the guy as a player, very skilled, dedicated , the epitome of 'the quiet achiever'but I've never seen him try to organise anything on the field.

Why the f would someone choose him to organise a team when he has no evidence of team management skills. It's a stewpid decision because effectively it's cost us two critical positions on the field

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
The turning point was when Austin got injected into the game, won it for them and highlighted what an impact player should do
We actually needed to smash him and then he may have gone into his shell but instead we stood back and let him run. Don't know what it is but the defence from Holland on that side of the field was atrocious last night. I wondered whether he may have been hurt in an earlier tackle as he appeared to favour his shoulder.

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
What about the first try?

Croker ran around him then put their halfback over untouched

If he was busted then Pay should have brought him off for fit players sitting on the bench I would have thought
Especially since the right side defence has been our biggest weakness all year leaking tries and this was a brand new pairing. Should have been a red alert for coaching staff to watch for...they must know the opposition are targetting our right.

Who is it that sits with Pay assessing whats hsppening on field? Antonelli? Then he is no help at all to Pay.

It really was poor coaching and non existent eyes and ears advice in the coach's box...and it's not the first time...you can't leave anything to chance these days and sit there biting your lip Dean :grinning:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I can see peoples points about going up 28-14, except that it was 7 minutes 30 left and they needed to convert 2 tries in order to draw level.

They scored:
Try #1 in the comeback with 5 minutes 30 left.
Try #2 in the comeback with 2 minutes 15 left.
Match winning try with 55 seconds left.

Raiders can't score if they don't have the ball, simple as that.

Add another minute with the Dogs in possession and that last try doesn't get scored. Waste enough time and the second last try probably doesn't either.

SCENARIO 1 (which happened): Take 2 points and go up 28-14 (14 points). Come back to receive a kick off (handing game control to Raiders). With nothing to lose it was obvious the short kick off was coming. They do short kick off and get the ball back on our 40m line. In that set they work it down field, and BJ ends up in touch and gets a penalty. From that they score, and eventually go on to win the game via momentum and having possession.

SCENARIO 2 (what should have happened): At the very least, take the tap and go for a try (putting us 16-18 points ahead). Worst case go down with the ball on 5th right on their line. Even if a penalty is given it only gets them around half way. Without a penalty if we muscle up defensively, we could pin them on 30-40m line (plus a kick), and then hold possession and close out the game easily.

In addition to this, as time gets less and less, they need to take chances with the ball (increasing the chance of a mistake).

We rolled the dice/took a silly gamble and it did not pay off.

Experienced players like Cameron Smith or Thurston would have instead wound the clock down and known that the less time they have with the ball, the more chance of a win.

Experienced cocahes (even Hasler), would know that winding the clock down and holding possession effectively kills any chance of a come back.

You could get a job as an NRL sin bin timekeeper with that maths Mr. I
It was my final post for the night and I was half asleep your honour.

The defence rests its case.

CroydonDog

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
For me there was one pivotal moment which cost us the game.

The time was 72:27, so 8 minutes 33 seconds left in the game.
We get a penalty on Raiders 15m line.
The score is 26-14 at the time.

OPTION 1 - Take a shot for goal, walk back to the half way line for a kickoff. This was the option we took, and lost the ball during the kickoff.

OPTION 2 - Opt for the tap, try and a try. Doing so would easily have wasted another 1-2 minutes for a set (if not more if we get a repeat even more). If we don't score, get a repeat set and wind down the clock.

OPTION 3 - Opt for the tap, try and a try. Doing so would easily have wasted another 1-2 minutes for a set (if not more if we get a repeat even more). If we don't score, on 5th nail a field goal, go 13 points ahead, and wind the clock down with a restart and another set for us from kick off.

OPTION 4 - Opt for the tap, try and a try. Doing so would easily have wasted another 1-2 minutes for a set (if not more if we get a repeat even more). If we don't score, nail the ball into touch on the 5th forcing a scrum, then muscle up in defence.

For me we made the wrong call for the penalty. It got them another minute easily as they got the ball straight back.

Considering that Raiders scored 3 tries in those 8 minutes and 33, it would have won us the game with another option.

Perhaps the Dogs will think next time and be smarter. Don't just think of the points but rather where we are in the game. I'm sure other coaches and smart captains would have picked up on the time and run it down.
No team would not not take an opportunity to go 14 up with 7 minutes to go.

We just fucking choked because we are fucking shit this year.

Actually, I wanted to see Jackson say that in the presser: "We were shit and we choked".

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I can see peoples points about going up 28-14, except that it was 7 minutes 30 left and they needed to convert 2 tries in order to draw level.

They scored:

Add another minute with the Dogs in possession and that last try doesn't get scored. Waste enough time and the second last try probably doesn't either.

SCENARIO 1 (which happened): Take 2 points and go up 28-14 (14 points). Come back to receive a kick off (handing game control to Raiders). With nothing to lose it was obvious the short kick off was coming. They do short kick off and get the ball back on our 40m line. In that set they work it down field, and BJ ends up in touch and gets a penalty. From that they score, and eventually go on to win the game via momentum and having possession.

SCENARIO 2 (what should have happened): At the very least, take the tap and go for a try (putting us 16-18 points ahead). Worst case go down with the ball on 5th right on their line. Even if a penalty is given it only gets them around half way. Without a penalty if we muscle up defensively, we could pin them on 30-40m line (plus a kick), and then hold possession and close out the game easily.

In addition to this, as time gets less and less, they need to take chances with the ball (increasing the chance of a mistake).

Experienced players like Cameron Smith or Thurston would have instead wound the clock down and known that the less time they have with the ball, the more chance of a win.

Experienced cocahes (even Hasler), would know that winding the clock down and holding possession effectively kills any chance of a come back.

If Lichaa doesn’t get the ball stripped off him, we play out the set and win

What scenario is that covered under in your post mortem?

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
If Lichaa doesn’t get the ball stripped off him, we play out the set and win

What scenario is that covered under in your post mortem?
Equally, they don't drag BJ out and we only have one tackle to defend and we win. Eastwood knocks it back rather than forward and we win. JJ stacks the left side from the kickoff and we retain possession and we win....and and and. Bottom line is we didn't. We played pretty well but didn't get the cherries. It happens. I'm just glad we are having a dig now and it doesn't cost us a top 8 spot.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
No taking the penalty was the correct call taking it out to 3 tries required to beat us. What happened next is an embarrassing piece of shite and if I was Pay I would be finding a mountain this week for those c*nts we call players to run up! Fukin disgraceful to lose a game in that position.

Howie B

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
We lost because i had $50 on the dogs. And it was on Crownbet who dont pay out when your team is 12 in front

I could stop a train at the moment

Apologies to all on here. I normally dont bet on bulldogs games and wont do again this year

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
No taking the penalty was the correct call taking it out to 3 tries required to beat us. What happened next is an embarrassing piece of shite and if I was Pay I would be finding a mountain this week for those c*nts we call players to run up! Fukin disgraceful to lose a game in that position.
Unfortunately we had one very experienced hooker who started the rot and a bunch of young blokes who were unable to handle the pressure.

Dogtime

Kennel Enthusiast
Premium Member
Reaction score
For me there was one pivotal moment which cost us the game.

The time was 72:27, so 8 minutes 33 seconds left in the game.
We get a penalty on Raiders 15m line.
The score is 26-14 at the time.

OPTION 1 - Take a shot for goal, walk back to the half way line for a kickoff. This was the option we took, and lost the ball during the kickoff.

OPTION 2 - Opt for the tap, try and a try. Doing so would easily have wasted another 1-2 minutes for a set (if not more if we get a repeat even more). If we don't score, get a repeat set and wind down the clock.

OPTION 3 - Opt for the tap, try and a try. Doing so would easily have wasted another 1-2 minutes for a set (if not more if we get a repeat even more). If we don't score, on 5th nail a field goal, go 13 points ahead, and wind the clock down with a restart and another set for us from kick off.

OPTION 4 - Opt for the tap, try and a try. Doing so would easily have wasted another 1-2 minutes for a set (if not more if we get a repeat even more). If we don't score, nail the ball into touch on the 5th forcing a scrum, then muscle up in defence.

For me we made the wrong call for the penalty. It got them another minute easily as they got the ball straight back.

Considering that Raiders scored 3 tries in those 8 minutes and 33, it would have won us the game with another option.

Perhaps the Dogs will think next time and be smarter. Don't just think of the points but rather where we are in the game. I'm sure other coaches and smart captains would have picked up on the time and run it down.
Your wrong. We took the correct decision. A lead of 14 meant Raiders had to score 3 times. It meant they had to double their score they had achieved in the preceding 72 minutes. Highly unlikely - a 100 to 1 shot.
Kaos theory says EVERYTHING then has to go right for Raiders to win. They start their quest by getting the ball back off the kickoff after Hoppa had secured it he miraculously drops it. Unlikely. Then our most reliable defender in Jackson has to come up out of the line to let Austin step inside him and score. Again unlikely. Getting the ball back from the kickoff the Raiders in Austin again terrorise Holland who just happened to sustain a shoulder injury earlier in the game limiting his tackling ability. They race the length of the field in their set. Abby almost scores. With 3min 42 secs left, we get the ball from the changover. Raiders trail by 8. If we hold the ball for 1 minute then kick downfield we win. Instead Liccha on 3rd tackle miraculously has the ball stripped after 2 guys tackle him but 1 fell off. If not for the change to the stripping rule it would of been a penalty but not under the new rules. When was the last such strip you saw? So Raiders get ball again 10 mtr from our line. 3 tackles later they score after supposedly momentum takes a player over the line or on the line after ball carrying his arm came in contact with the ground. Again this is a very rare non double movement. I haven't seen 1 like that this season. Dogs lead now 2 with over 2 minutes to play. We try long kickoff again, stack the blind side defence, Raiders again raid Hollands side (Pay should of had Elliot on for Holland then to end the game but didnt for some reason). They race length of the field then score down our stronger left side, with JMoz left clutching air BMoz ran over the top of with Leilua scoring in corner with a minute left. Clock counts down to zero as they take the kick. A miraculous unbelievable highly improbable win. Everything had to go right for them wrong for us. You'll never see such a thing again as long as you live.

As an aside, why is it with 5 minutes on the clock, the clock stops as the defending team brings ball back to halfway after opposition score, but clock continues to wind down after opposition scores while they take their kick at goal. How the fuck is that fair???

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score

They scored:

Its easy to talk in hindsight & say it was wrong call because we blew it..

But this isnt a situation where there is a right or wrong ..

We only have ourselves to blame for the loss.. Some may play down the clock like u said, others would go 14 ahead.. both have merits..

Whichever decision you make if you dont complete and make your tackles you will get done like how we were on Saturday night

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
End of the day we put the cue back on the rack

Wolfmother

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
End of the day we were outplayed by fresh legs who saw our weak , tired and Injured side while lurking on the sideline and like a beast of prey attacked it.

He was like a very skilled spectator who can see everything that's wrong with the game then getting on the field and fixing it up.

Sorry I know they're both the same type of analogy but I couldn't decide so ...like El Paso I thought ' why not both'

Last edited:

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
End of the day we put the cue back on the rack
I don't think so! it was one player who did not keep his mind on his job.......LLLLIIIIICCCCCHHHHHAAAAAAA the Ass hole who helped change the momentum end of story.
Fuck off Lichaa go back to Cronulla already you useless prick, Like Tits on a Bull!!:rage::rage::rage:

berries67

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I read a report today about a semifinal we played against Parramatta in 1998. We were down 18 to 2 with 11 minutes to go. Full time 18 all. We ended up winning 32 to 18 after extra time. I think there was a link to the game on the forum a while ago. I found it on You Tube and watched. It doesnt just happen to us all the time. It would have been heart breaking for Parramatta in a semifinal.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I read a report today about a semifinal we played against Parramatta in 1998. We were down 18 to 2 with 11 minutes to go. Full time 18 all. We ended up winning 32 to 18 after extra time. I think there was a link to the game on the forum a while ago. I found it on You Tube and watched. It doesnt just happen to us all the time. It would have been heart breaking for Parramatta in a semifinal.
Do you not remember that game?

It’s legit in my top 5 Bulldogs games of all time!!

Raysie

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
I'm taking all the positives out of the game.

Overall the win means little.

The biggest win for us was promise. We have a 5/8 out there who is looking very promising. We have a Second Rower who scored 24 fucking points and hasn't missed a First Grade goal yet. We for 2 weeks in a row have scored 28+ points. When was the last time we did that!?

Let's use these last rounds to build what we have here and come Round 1 2019 we're actually going to be pretty competitive! Add the fact we have new signings plus more that haven't been announced yet... I'm pretty excited!

berries67

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I agree. One of our best ever. 30 unanswered points in a Semifinal is a tremendous effort. Unfortunately, I think we lost the next game which was the Grandfinal against Brisbane. Please correct me if I am wrong,

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.