Round 17 - Bulldogs vs Raiders - Team List and Game Discussion Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

berries67

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I feel for Holland copping a spray he played one armed most of the night has been good defending in the middle off bench so he can tackle. Nothing on the bench or field to take him off. How ever Lichaa needs to be replaced give Brown the spot to make it his for the rest of the year and get Olive a go again.
Lewis to centre Brown to 6, Hopoate to centre, Brown to fullback are two options. If he had a bad arm he shouldn't have been out there. The Raiders must of known he was a weakness and targeted him.

Last edited:

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I feel for Holland copping a spray he played one armed most of the night has been good defending in the middle off bench so he can tackle. Nothing on the bench or field to take him off. How ever Lichaa needs to be replaced give Brown the spot to make it his for the rest of the year and get Olive a go again.
Woolford looked pretty good in NSW Cup. He's got good speed and throws a quick, flat pass. I love the way he engages the markers from dummy half, like Cameron Smith. Gives himself options. Defence is probably the worry, but I'd prefer to try him now more than Brown. Brown is Ben Roberts 2nd. Rocks and diamonds but mostly rocks. Olive played very good in NSW Cup too.

Howard Moon

Kennel Addict
2 x Gilded
Premium Member
Reaction score
It doesn't feel any better today.. how did we let that happen at Belmore! How do you let a bloke take the ball off you when your only job is to hold onto it... I'm avoiding footy shows today

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Woolford looked pretty good in NSW Cup. He's got good speed and throws a quick, flat pass. I love the way he engages the markers from dummy half, like Cameron Smith. Gives himself options. Defence is probably the worry, but I'd prefer to try him now more than Brown. Brown is Ben Roberts 2nd. Rocks and diamonds but mostly rocks. Olive played very good in NSW Cup too.
Woolford was ordinary last night. He is nowhere near FG standard.

magdog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
It doesn't feel any better today.. how did we let that happen at Belmore! How do you let a bloke take the ball off you when your only job is to hold onto it... I'm avoiding footy shows today
Likewise.

Just back from a 60Km bike ride- got most of it out of the system.
Still, I’ll continue to avoid the footy shows today...don’t want to relapse!

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Woolford was ordinary last night. He is nowhere near FG standard.
Is Lichaa FG standard?

I'm asking because even Pay dropped him this year and only saw FG again due to injures.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Easy to blame individuals for the loss, but the one thing that stood out is the complete lack of leadership.
JJ is not a leader. Terry Lamb, or Andrew Ryan would not have lost that game.

Kaz

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Terry Lamb, or Andrew Ryan would not have lost that game.
Nah,

Terry Lamb would have kicked a field goal while 2 behind.

Terry Lamb – Round 14, 1992 Bulldogs v Knights

Oh Terry. The Bulldogs five-eighth will go down as one of the best exponents of the field goal in the history of rugby league. 'Baa' nailed 44 one-pointers in his illustrious 350-game career, but it's his 1992 decision to kick one point when trailing by two that will live longest in the memory banks of NRL fans; especially disgruntled supporters of the Bulldogs. On a Sunday afternoon at a packed Belmore Oval, the Bulldogs found themselves down by two points thanks to a 12 point haul to Newcastle's John Schuster. With time running out, the ball came back to Lamb, who inexplicably potted a long-range field goal to halve the deficit to 12-11. In his defence, it was a well struck drop goal, but sadly for his side, it didn't help them get the win. Lamb said in an interview two years later that he'd had a "blackout" and that he hadn't seen Schuster's conversion moments earlier.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2016/03/21/four-field-goals-to-forget/

dogluva

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Bloody shattered after last night. The Raiders did not win the game we lost it and that is the pure and simple fact. Piss poor last six minutes really showed us where we are at. Looked great and played some inspiring footy most of the rest of the game but it is an 80 minute game..... I hate the Raiders with a passion and the way they celebrated their tries especially the last one shows what terrible examples they are to kids wanting to play the game in the true spirit. No need for that poor excuse for a sportsman Leilua to behave the way he did. Disgraceful....

One thing that continues to piss me off no end is the time wasting antics by the Raiders who are basically fat and unfit in the forwards. They do it each and every week ,game in game out, sauntering through the opposition defensive line with half a dozen of their flabby forwards moving the ten to fifteen metres they need to actually be in line and then behind their team mate playing the ball. Walking in front of and within the defensive line with complete immunity for the first few tackles and in effect being involved in the play around the defensive side.

https://www.nrl.com/siteassets/operations/nrl-laws-and-interpretations-2018.pdf

Out of Play A player from the team in possession is out of play if he does not “retire behind his own players involved in the play the ball or to their own goal line.” Section 11 (10) (g) An ‘out of play’ players(s) may again participate in the play if he retreats to a position where he has both feet behind the point where the ball was placed on the ground in the prior play the ball. Where an ‘out of play’ player becomes involved in the ensuing play, he is to be penalised with the penalty being awarded in line with the previous play the ball, at the point where the player became out of play

Offside A player is offside if he has one foot (either on or off the ground) in front of a teammate who ‘last touches, is touched, held or kicked the ball’. Section 14 (1)

Croker takes so much time with his goal kicks; grabs the tee, puts it on the ground; unclips his head gear and places it on the ground; grabs a water bottle from the trainer and rinses his mouth a few times, takes a sip of water spits it out; moves to the mark, grabs the ball from the ground and then puts it back down again after he crouches down to fiddle with the kicking tee; picks up a few blades of grass to test the wind direction; then attempts the first of six tries to position the ball on the tee THEN the referee decides he had better call time out because it has been over a minute since Croker has commenced his interminable fiddling to get ready to actually stand up and then address the ball ready to kick it BUT he then needs to measure up, move back, talk to himself look at the posts half a dozen times, then the ref calls time back on. He then moves in to kick the ball a good two minutes since he started his goal attempt EXCEPT he has no issue whatsoever in taking a kick for goal in under 20 seconds when it is the last six minutes of a game and his side is behind. He had the ball placed on and its way basically as soon as the tries were awarded. If he can do it then when the pressure is on he should be able to do it each and every time.

Yes, I understand that every kicker takes liberties when they are shooting for goal but he CONSTANTLY wastes so much time to give his side a breather and wind down the clock every game. Think about it; six kicks close to twelve minutes wasted because the dumb arse officials won't call time off. What is the difference between the ref calling time off immediately; (the kicking side still gets a breather with the kicker taking forever to put a kick up in the air for a conversion) or allowing the clock to continue and not calling time off , I'll tell you what the difference is -less minutes on the clock in the way of game time.

Saw Moses and Reynolds at the game last night but they promptly disappeared at kick off Reynolds to the Fox box and probably his bestie with him. Moses is no longer with the club so was he there as moral support, to give his ex team mates a boost? Yeah, mate ship can run deep but he did not really give a rats when we were paying his way why now. Call me bitter, call me cynical but I did not see him go shake hands with his old team mates unless it was done in the confines of the dressing sheds; but he did have a beer or something similar in his hands. Yeah some people went and got a photo and an autograph,meh.

A nice thing though happened last night. The eighteenth jersey was presented by Greg Buckley who as a young man played at fullback for the Dogs until his career was sadly cut short after a horrifying on field incident at BSG vs St George in 1988. I was there that day and watched , with many others, the terrible scene unfold and the long wait as the helicopter landed to ferry him away to hospital. It was indeed heart warming to see him walk onto the field, albeit with a distinct limp and one arm hanging beside him. He does not recall anything at all about it and sadly rued the fact that his career ended that day but he is forever thankful to the club and those within in it for the support and well wishes in those bad times. Bought a tear to my eye and made me understand that footy after all is not all there is but that we should be thankful for being still able to walk and breathe each and every day.

Next week we have the Rabbitohs and I am not looking for a win....the players themselves will have been pretty gutted with the loss and it will take a monumental effort to get up for the game and truly I am not sure we can. This year has been a procession of just not good enough efforts and I can't see it changing. The next few years will be painful as we look to rebuild and try to salvage something from the shit that the master coach Hasler has left us in. Heard some very funny rumours last night about possible destinations for the master destroyer; Penrith and wait for it lolololololo Manly. Also, if anyone caught the story in the paper about a sex tape doing the rounds in relation to Manly also heard about ANOTHER one separate to that in relation to a player( no longer there) having video of another player ( still there).....mind boggling....

Last edited:

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Tapine charged with Dangerous Throw and will miss 2 weeks regardless of plea (due to 85 carryover points).
Abbey was in sheds after game in team song, so a miracle recovery !

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Is Lichaa FG standard?

I'm asking because even Pay dropped him this year and only saw FG again due to injures.
He deserved to get dropped because he was just tackling and nothing else but he is back running again going OK. He was up against prob the No 2 hooker in the world yesterday so the comparison is a bit tough but he still went OK. Didn't miss tackles, made plenty of runs and we scored plenty of tries so his service couldn't have been that bad. Brown comes on and throws the ball to the goal posts. How is that even the equal of Lichaa let alone better. Makes 1 run for 3 metres. He was on for nearly a quarter of the game......

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
He deserved to get dropped because he was just tackling and nothing else but he is back running again going OK. He was up against prob the No 2 hooker in the world yesterday so the comparison is a bit tough but he still went OK. Didn't miss tackles, made plenty of runs and we scored plenty of tries so his service couldn't have been that bad. Brown comes on and throws the ball to the goal posts. How is that even the equal of Lichaa let alone better. Makes 1 run for 3 metres. He was on for nearly a quarter of the game......
I didn't say Brown was better than Lichaa. I also didn't say Woolford is better. I just want to know if he is better or if he is another des signing.

And I don't classify Lichaa a FG hooker. Compare all the hookers in the league, would he be 15th or 16th in the rankings?

Shire Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I didn't say Brown was better than Lichaa. I also didn't say Woolford is better. I just want to know if he is better or if he is another des signing.

And I don't classify Lichaa a FG hooker. Compare all the hookers in the league, would he be 15th or 16th in the rankings?
Hey Bro you have nearly reached another milestone
It is truly amazing,I’m not that big on posting but enjoy reading what fellow bulldogs have to say.
You must be a proud dog lover
Keep em coming Mr 45,000
Congratulations

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score

That's OK just an assumption I guess as most are comparing the two. I have it in the back of my mind that Pay actually resigned him when he first came on board. Des clearly didn't rate him towards the end. Dropped him, had him on the bench and then finally brought him back at the end and he surprised everyone by playing the way he should have all along. He is playing much better now than he was earlier last season.

There are prob IMHO a group of maybe 5 or 6 elite hookers in the comp. Lichaa isn't one of those. Then there are prob 15 others who on any given day play better than each other and Lichaa is in that group. He's FG standard and I think will get better but he still has a lot of work to do to be worth worrying about if we lost him.

If you think about who we would swap him for and feel like we got a much better deal, I don't see the Panthers, Eels, Rorters, Tigers, Newcastle and even Titans hookers as being much of an upgrade on Lichaa. The rest are an upgrade, but some of them are getting on a bit so haven't got much in them. I really hope Woolford steps up. If not then that little bloke in the 20's I guess is next in line.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hey Bro you have nearly reached another milestone
It is truly amazing,I’m not that big on posting but enjoy reading what fellow bulldogs have to say.
You must be a proud dog lover
Keep em coming Mr 45,000
Congratulations
Lol, didn't even know.

I guess I talk too much lol

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
That's OK just an assumption I guess as most are comparing the two. I have it in the back of my mind that Pay actually resigned him when he first came on board. Des clearly didn't rate him towards the end. Dropped him, had him on the bench and then finally brought him back at the end and he surprised everyone by playing the way he should have all along. He is playing much better now than he was earlier last season.

There are prob IMHO a group of maybe 5 or 6 elite hookers in the comp. Lichaa isn't one of those. Then there are prob 15 others who on any given day play better than each other and Lichaa is in that group. He's FG standard and I think will get better but he still has a lot of work to do to be worth worrying about if we lost him.

If you think about who we would swap him for and feel like we got a much better deal, I don't see the Panthers, Eels, Rorters, Tigers, Newcastle and even Titans hookers as being much of an upgrade on Lichaa. The rest are an upgrade, but some of them are getting on a bit so haven't got much in them. I really hope Woolford steps up. If not then that little bloke in the 20's I guess is next in line.
I just want the best option for our team, as we all do.

I'm stressing like I'm the head coach lol

I just wish Lichaa played like those 3 games he played for a contract. Would be over the moon for that version of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.