Mbye and Woods and what we're paying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vek

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Not a chance we are paying $300k a season for Woods.

We rejected Cronulla when they wanted us to pay $250k.

He re-signed with Cronulla on a reported $650k contract.
100% 300k is rubbish. If we really paid that much, then why did he take a pay cut?

steeliz

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
I've never been one to claim that I know this person or that person.
In fact, I've never speculated players contracts but heard today from pretty much the most reliable source who knows, seen contracts with own eyes etc we're paying $300k per year for Woods and $250k per year for Mbye. I was less than impressed when I heard this. I'm glad they're gone but think we could've played a bit more hardball. I'd pretty much take this info as gospel. Just thought I'd let the people know.
Your source is spot on bro, I'll just support, expand and clarify your information.

Mbye's agreement was back-ended and a large percentage was in third party agreements valued at 33% (10% + 8% + 8% + 7%). Unlike the common practice of holding and appropriating the values/funds of these agreements in trust, the agent/club agreed for an even annual rate of payments. To safeguard against any breech, Mbye's agreement included a cover clause, stating that the Bulldogs are liable for any shortfalls that might arise from the termination of third party agreements. The Tigers insisted that the Bulldogs must pay the balance (shortfall) of Mbye's third party agreements at a even annual rate. New third party agreements, negotiated by the agent/club would only effect the Tigers salary cap allowance.

Woods agreement was not back-ended, it included a third party relationship that was established at Wests and was applicable during the first 2 years. It also included an additional new massive third-party for the following 2 years. In his agreement, the Bulldogs paid additional wages to evenly balance the value variation of the two third parties, this allowed Woods to an even annual monetary distribution. In the new Cronulla agreement, the first third party maintained it's association, but the Bulldogs were liable for the shortfall arising from the second third party. Agent/Cronulla agreed that Woods would forgo as a pay cut, the Bulldogs paid additional wages that originally evenly balanced the value variation of the two third parties. The Bulldogs also agreed to pay the 37% shortfall from the second third party at an even annual rate. This would allow Woods to receive an even annual distribution of wages + first third party.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
There are only 4 "people" that know precise player salaries:
1. The Player
2. The Player Manager negotiating the deal.
3. The Club negotiating with the player.
4. The NRL with whom the contract is registered.

Unless your source is one of those 4 people, it is BS. If your source IS one of those 4 people, then they should be stood down immediately from their position for disclosing confidential contractual information (which can constitute a breach of contract in some cases).

I have liased with several Rugby League journos over the years and even they admit that they do not know player salaries 100%.
Very true.....BUT let's apply it in the real world. The players family would know, player managers family would know and so on and so forth. Everytime another person is told "In strict confidence" the circle gets bigger and bigger. Then get a few on the piss around their mates and it gets bigger again. Hell even the ATO staff obviously know. Yes no-one is suppose to tell but.........….

"Loose lips sinks ships" they say lol

SweetFA

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Your source is spot on bro, I'll just support, expand and clarify your information.

Mbye's agreement was back-ended and a large percentage was in third party agreements valued at 33% (10% + 8% + 8% + 7%). Unlike the common practice of holding and appropriating the values/funds of these agreements in trust, the agent/club agreed for an even annual rate of payments. To safeguard against any breech, Mbye's agreement included a cover clause, stating that the Bulldogs are liable for any shortfalls that might arise from the termination of third party agreements. The Tigers insisted that the Bulldogs must pay the balance (shortfall) of Mbye's third party agreements at a even annual rate. New third party agreements, negotiated by the agent/club would only effect the Tigers salary cap allowance.

Woods agreement was not back-ended, it included a third party relationship that was established at Wests and was applicable during the first 2 years. It also included an additional new massive third-party for the following 2 years. In his agreement, the Bulldogs paid additional wages to evenly balance the value variation of the two third parties, this allowed Woods to an even annual monetary distribution. In the new Cronulla agreement, the first third party maintained it's association, but the Bulldogs were liable for the shortfall arising from the second third party. Agent/Cronulla agreed that Woods would forgo as a pay cut, the Bulldogs paid additional wages that originally evenly balanced the value variation of the two third parties. The Bulldogs also agreed to pay the 37% shortfall from the second third party at an even annual rate. This would allow Woods to receive an even annual distribution of wages + first third party.
Bottom line, the Bulldogs are paying <$180k pa towards Woods contract.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score

And this was told to you by who,your mate,or your mates mate ?

Deathspell

Kennel Established
Reaction score
And this was told to you by who,your mate,or your mates mate ?
Actually it is a mate, but not a mate's, mate. My friend is a financial solicitor and his Firm does all the financial legal work for the Executive Office. I would mention his name, but in doing so a previous thread was deleted and adjudicated as being too sensitive. His legal firm, which I employ regularly, is currently assisting me with the representation of a client in the Supreme Court, against the Crime Commission for proceeds of crime, valued over $26 million. I'm a Senior Counsel and the bulk of my posts and threads usually deal with legal and administrative information.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
There are only 4 "people" that know precise player salaries:
1. The Player
2. The Player Manager negotiating the deal.
3. The Club negotiating with the player.
4. The NRL with whom the contract is registered.

Unless your source is one of those 4 people, it is BS. If your source IS one of those 4 people, then they should be stood down immediately from their position for disclosing confidential contractual information (which can constitute a breach of contract in some cases).

I have liased with several Rugby League journos over the years and even they admit that they do not know player salaries 100%.
Mr. Invisible, There is one person not on your list who is probably the only person who really knows what a player is being paid. And that is the woman in the office who writes the pay cheques each week. Take the hint I did not say "person" who writes the cheques.

Trafford10

Kennel Addict
Gilded
Reaction score

I didn't think the clubs had any obligation to guarantee third party agreements?
From your post it seems the club has effectively brought those TPAs under our salary cap?
Also Woods was supposedly on $800k per season, did that figure include the 2nd "massive" TBA?

What a fucken joke, I seriously question the management capabilities of the club both old & new boards. To be paying $500k pa over multiple years for those two frauds is a fucking disgrace!!

Again just goes to show the complete farce that is the NRL salary cap & the corrupt nature of the NRL that allows such a broken policy to continue.

Last edited:

justdogs

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Mr. Invisible, There is one person not on your list who is probably the only person who really knows what a player is being paid. And that is the woman in the office who writes the pay cheques each week. Take the hint I did not say "person" who writes the cheques.
Cheques still exist?

Valley Viking

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I didn't think the clubs had any obligation to guarantee third party agreements?
From your post it seems the club has effectively brought those TPAs under our salary cap?
Also Woods was supposedly on $800k per season, did that figure include the 2nd "massive" TBA?

What a fucken joke, I seriously question the management capabilities of the club both old & new boards. To be paying $500k pa over multiple years for those two frauds is a fucking disgrace!!

Again just goes to show the complete farce that is the NRL salary cap & the corrupt nature of the NRL that allows such a broken policy to continue.
Not only do they not have an obligation they can not have any first hand involvement in any TPAs, if they are guaranteeing or underwriting any TPAs then those payments should be included in our cap.

bullanth

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Actually it is a mate, but not a mate's, mate. My friend is a financial solicitor and his Firm does all the financial legal work for the Executive Office. I would mention his name, but in doing so a previous thread was deleted and adjudicated as being too sensitive. His legal firm, which I employ regularly, is currently assisting me with the representation of a client in the Supreme Court, against the Crime Commission for proceeds of crime, valued over $26 million. I'm a Senior Counsel and the bulk of my posts and threads usually deal with legal and administrative information.
It's obvious this guys not much of a solicitor,if information like you say is coming out,I wouldn't employ this bloke,full stop.

FaceBreaker

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
One fifth of our salary cap is going to players who don’t play here.

Lmao

Haslerhasworms

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Jesus! How many different threads are there going to be about this?!
As long as the club know what they're doing moving forward, it doesn't matter how much we are paying to clubs for ex players.
Bottom line is these transactions needed to happen.
The new board have financial plans in place to rectify the horrible mess they were left with and although the short term pain is hard to deal with, I have every faith that the long term gain will be worth it.

Alan79

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
I don't know what to believe about what we're paying others to play elsewhere and to be perfectly honest, while I would prefer to think we weren't paying much, I really don't care. It's the clubs job to worry about that. We've had times when our salary cap was supplemented by other clubs too. Maybe we'll strike it lucky again finding some talented players other clubs re willing to pay to move on. Our new management won't be leaving any stone unturned.

Ultimately the club has decided that they would be in a more workable position if we moved on some players with big salaries. Hopefully with the money Woods and Mbye free up we can make some very astute purchases. Once upon a time the club made some very smart buys, turning talented players who were struggling into stars without paying an arm and leg. The important thing to me is that the club has identified what they needed to do and they've acted accordingly. We're throwing all our hopes on picking up some good youngsters and in turning our junior production line into an asset again. It might not be an overnight success, but it should pay dividends if it means we get back to producing quality NRL players again.

Some people will dwell on things like this (what we're potentially paying former players) for a long time to come, but I think it's not the least bit productive. Hopefully the club makes some great buys that go on to become Premiership winners with us in the not too distant future.

berries67

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What ever we are paying it will come to an end eventually and hopefully valuable lessons have been learnt and we never get into this situation again.

berries67

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
Very true.....BUT let's apply it in the real world. The players family would know, player managers family would know and so on and so forth. Everytime another person is told "In strict confidence" the circle gets bigger and bigger. Then get a few on the piss around their mates and it gets bigger again. Hell even the ATO staff obviously know. Yes no-one is suppose to tell but.........….

"Loose lips sinks ships" they say lol
I have never told anyone the details of my earnings, not even close family, Why would league players. Even if a wife or partner were aware I can't see them telling others.

gazza

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I never c ease to be amazed at the naivety of many Kennelers. The cunning plan that the dogs have implemented to get to the top is fast becoming so obvious it is in danger of being outed. First get your CEO to be Head honcho of the competition. Accomplished! Secondly, get the leading players for the other clubs onto your payroll and beholden to you. Work in progress! Thirdly, feed idiot journos false stories about cap pressures to cover up progress with the buying of more players for progressing part two of the strategy. We'll end up owning the whole shebang.

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
I have never told anyone the details of my earnings, not even close family, Why would league players. Even if a wife or partner were aware I can't see them telling others.
Because the world of sports is different to everyday jobs. No-one cares what everyday people earn yet the sports industry has that exciting appeal to it and perhaps the way they are paid adds to it. Free sports gear, cars etc etc. Kids big noting their Dad at school to the other kids. Adolesce boys big noting to chicks to pull roots or just to be cool and fit in. Humans never keep secrets, well most humans.

Matilida

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I thought the board said when elected they would not be paying bulldogs players to play for other clubs.

Status
Not open for further replies.