Round 17 - Bulldogs vs Raiders - Team List and Game Discussion Thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dogwhisperer

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Imagine if Morris plays and Holland gets dropped to the bench as a super sub again.

LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
I just choked on my food...LOL.

I love Pay and I’ve been defending him, but if that happens then he’s lost me! Any idiot will tell you when Jmoz comes back then Montoya should be dropped.

Bulldogz82

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
He has been a great clubman but won’t be there next year
Sometimes the club has to make tough decisions and this is one of them.
We have to get on the front foot and blood in youngsters
The team will again be under the pump next year so what we do for the remaining games is instrumental
Nothing beats being on the field playing top grade
It will give Pay a true indication on how some guys are traveling in a true sense
I agree but it also can be taken in the sense that if our season is over anyway then why not give a player who has been a good clubman for us for years now a chance to play the last few games

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
The longer Austin is on the field, the more chance we have to win. The bloke can’t defend and is going to be doing a Reynolds trying to get a contract next year

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Can we replace Priest with Cardinal Copia??

(Cardinal Copia is the new frontman for rock band Ghost).

CMP

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
wtf what happened to to’omaga. Not even named on extended bench. Also honestly Tualau, while he isn’t the best and was a letdown when called up to first grade this year, was able to impress last season off the bench and I believe offers more than Priest. To’omaga and Tualau are both much better in short stints off the bench than Priest like whats going on. It is smarter to play them now while the season is writeoff, over Eastwood and Priest (however Eastwood went alright last week so he can hold his spot for now) as they are younger and have more potential for the future with the right coaching. Pay should really be giving them experince.
To’omaga & Tualau should both be in the team before Priest & Eastwood.

To’omaga didn’t take to the NRL with his ISP form when he got his chance earlier in the year, but give him games and experience now when this year is done!

doggieaaron

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Reaction score
To’omaga & Tualau should both be in the team before Priest & Eastwood.

To’omaga didn’t take to the NRL with his ISP form when he got his chance earlier in the year, but give him games and experience now when this year is done!
Totally agree pay is very frustrating

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
Totally agree pay is very frustrating
Sure is. Wont knock him as yet under the very trying circumstances and distractions but there are quite a few things that could have been done better. Such as the way Brown, Priest, Toomaga, Taulau, Martin, choice of kicker, non tactics, Frawley, Lewis, Montoya, Holland, and our interchange ...attention to detail and we could have had at least 6 extra points.

If Priest plays and gives away any penalties, Pay should hook him straightaway because surely he has chipped him about his undisciplined play.

Rookie coach yes, but like Des, Pay is appearing slow to change the dynamics of what is enfolding on the field and ability to pick the obviously better players and get their best out of them.

The worst possible thing for a new coach at Canterbury, is to be likened in any way whatsoever to Des Hasler :grinning:

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Sure is. Wont knock him as yet under the very trying circumstances and distractions but there are quite a few things that could have been done better. Such as the way Brown, Priest, Toomaga, Taulau, Martin, choice of kicker, non tactics, Frawley, Lewis, Montoya, Holland, and our interchange ...attention to detail and we could have had at least 6 extra points.

If Priest plays and gives away any penalties, Pay should hook him straightaway because surely he has chipped him about his undisciplined play.

Rookie coach yes, but like Des, Pay is appearing slow to change the dynamics of what is enfolding on the field and ability to pick the obviously better players and get their best out of them.

The worst possible thing for a new coach at Canterbury, is to be likened in any way whatsoever to Des Hasler :grinning:
You totally destroy your own argument when you mention "obviously better players"? Obvious to who?
Agree about Priest, but To'omaga hasnt done enough to be even considered for a FG spot. Martin has shown he can kick goals, but his defensive plays belong in the ISP.
Holland has proved to be a revelation from the bench, and was really good in the run on side. Montoya was good in the centre as he didnt have to cover for Hoppa.
However he may go when Jmoz returns.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Morris plays on the right in Origin and moving him to the right will help Smith, both in attack and defence.

1. Hoppa
2. Morris
3. Holland
4. Morris
5. Smith
I agree with that
Split the twins

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
You totally destroy your own argument when you mention "obviously better players"? Obvious to who?
Agree about Priest, but To'omaga hasnt done enough to be even considered for a FG spot. Martin has shown he can kick goals, but his defensive plays belong in the ISP.
Holland has proved to be a revelation from the bench, and was really good in the run on side. Montoya was good in the centre as he didnt have to cover for Hoppa.
Montoya was really good? If by really good you mean by doing nothing except blowing a certain try, we have a different view of "good".

wendog33

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Ladder Champion
Reaction score
You've offered an opinion and I am too...maybe I'm not the only one destroying my argument but at least I was hypocritical cherrypicking players.

By saying you thought Montoya played well...do you really believe the team is better with him atm? IMO the Hoppa, Morris, Holland, Morris, Smith backline is better...and its obvious to most...my argument NOT destroyed.

You agree with my post on Priest so I'm ok there, so you obviously think yourself he isn't an "obviously better player" *sigh*

Toomaga you bag...but he is signed for next year and has been in our system for years and is 23..time to invest in developing him and persevering.

Martin always showed more than a lot and always kicked well when Mbye couldn't throw them over. He has defensive faults..but thats why you have coaches.

Holland was always an obvious pick when Montoya was so bad. (You bag Martin for his defence yet say Montoya played good)

Got any other hypocritical comments to make?

Dean's biggest mistake was putting all his halfback eggs in Frawley over the whole pre-season. Anyone looking at our team last year as Pay would have, would have known that Frawley could not execute...and I'll go further that it was also was very obvious that promoting Lewis then would have had more chance of success.

I didn't bag Pay but said he needs to select the best of what we've got..and I stick by that comment because he hasn't...a steep learning curve for him.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
I don’t know, it looked like they were forming a nice combo. They looked pretty strong in D and their attack was really good.
100% i like the twins on the same side, but like i said, the players next to them will be better playing next to them.

speedy2460

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
You've offered an opinion and I am too...maybe I'm not the only one destroying my argument but at least I was hypocritical cherrypicking players.

By saying you thought Montoya played well...do you really believe the team is better with him atm? IMO the Hoppa, Morris, Holland, Morris, Smith backline is better...and its obvious to most...my argument NOT destroyed.

You agree with my post on Priest so I'm ok there, so you obviously think yourself he isn't an "obviously better player" *sigh*

Toomaga you bag...but he is signed for next year and has been in our system for years and is 23..time to invest in developing him and persevering.

Martin always showed more than a lot and always kicked well when Mbye couldn't throw them over. He has defensive faults..but thats why you have coaches.

Holland was always an obvious pick when Montoya was so bad. (You bag Martin for his defence yet say Montoya played good)

Got any other hypocritical comments to make?

Dean's biggest mistake was putting all his halfback eggs in Frawley over the whole pre-season. Anyone looking at our team last year as Pay would have, would have known that Frawley could not execute...and I'll go further that it was also was very obvious that promoting Lewis then would have had more chance of success.

I didn't bag Pay but said he needs to select the best of what we've got..and I stick by that comment because he hasn't...a steep learning curve for him.
You are entitled to your opinion. Didnt I agree with your backline? Didnt I say Montoya would go for Jmoz?
I didnt bag To'omaga. He has promise. But he is not FG standard with his defence. Blame Georgallis for that.
Montoya didnt do much wrong. I dont blame him for any defensive lapses. I think it was a few others, especially the fullback.
Frawley was the 1/2 back under Hasler. Dean Pay allowed him time to see if he was up to it. Apparently he wasnt.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I don’t know, it looked like they were forming a nice combo. They looked pretty strong in D and their attack was really good.
They looked good against a depleted Knights but against better sides (starting this weekend) it won’t be that easy hence why I would prefer twins are split just to add experience and solidify the edges.

Bob dog

Hectik defence
Premium Member
Reaction score
They looked good against a depleted Knights but against better sides (starting this weekend) it won’t be that easy hence why I would prefer twins are split just to add experience and solidify the edges.
They looked confident and dynamic, surely they can carry that attitude on this weekend?
Having a kicking game sure helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.