Bulldogs bargain rookies replacing Woods and Foran

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Kinda more of the same... oh and more of Adam Elliott talking... and talking ... and talking.

He's quickly becomming the new Mbye (all talk no action).

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/29...okies-replacing-aaron-woods-and-kieran-foran/

Lachlan Lewis and Ofahiki Ogden are the cut-price rookies charged with replacing a lazy $1.7 million of the Canterbury roster.

As the nephew of Immortal Wally Lewis, Lachlan carries the famous name, while Ofahiki's is one that takes some forgetting. Both will make their NRL debuts against the Knights in Newcastle on Saturday.

The mid-season departures of Aaron Woods to Cronulla and Moses Mbye to the Wests Tigers has resulted in Lewis and Ogden slotting straight into the club's top-30 squad, a sign of the times at Belmore, where rookies and bargain buys will be the norm while the Bulldogs dig themselves out of their salary cap hole.

Lewis, 21, comes into the halves to cover for the injured Kieran Foran, while 22-year-old Ogden will start from the bench against Newcastle with Aidan Tolman returning from injury to replace Woods up front. Will Hopoate returns to fullback in place of Mbye.

Renowned as a solid defender, Lewis has captained the Bulldogs' Intrust Super Premiership side this season as he alternates between centre and the halves, and gets his first-grade chance after moving from Canberra two years ago.

Ogden meanwhile tips the scales at 106 kilos and has been among Canterbury's best at second-tier level since arriving from the Warriors late last year.

Along with an NRL debut, Ogden's form earned him a NSW Residents call-up in last week's Holden State of Origin curtain-raiser, and a reputation at the club's Belmore base.

"He's tougher than nails. He's definitely someone that I steer clear of when I'm running the ball at training," back-rower Adam Elliott said.

"He's got some big shoulders on him and he's a big boy. He's come over from New Zealand and pushed himself and trained really hard and then he's played really hard in reserve grade.

"He's definitely earned his spot. In saying how sad it is to see Woodsy go there's a great opportunity for someone like 'Ofa' who could be anything going forward in the future, I think he's going to be a great player."

While Ogden and Lewis come into the 17 against Newcastle, Foran faces another gruelling rehab stint after successful surgery on the marquee halfback's season-ending toe injury earlier this week.

The Kiwi international's signing has come under fierce criticism given his repeated injuries and how they hampered him when he made it onto the paddock.

After a six-week recovery from ligament damage in his toe, Foran will undertake an extensive pre-season in a bid to get his body right, with Elliott backing the veteran playmaker to return to full fitness.

"It goes back to when he first started playing NRL, he's probably the number one halfback who took the ball into the line," Elliott said.

"Since he's been playing NRL he's always put his body on the line and played through pain. Seeing it first hand, I've got so much respect for Foz with the way he's fought through this pre-season to get his body right... and maintained it for 12 games straight when there was a lot going on and pushing through the pain. I've got no doubt in my mind. He's contracted here for a while and I think he's going to come back and make the absolute most of that... he's got a fair bit of time to get himself right for the 2019 season and I seriously think he'll be sweet."

GrogDog

bad attitude
Reaction score
Was going to read it but you said Elliott talks so I didn't :(

The_Chimpster

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Kinda more of the same... oh and more of Adam Elliott talking... and talking ... and talking.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2018/06/29...okies-replacing-aaron-woods-and-kieran-foran/

Lachlan Lewis and Ofahiki Ogden are the cut-price rookies charged with replacing a lazy $1.7 million of the Canterbury roster.

As the nephew of Immortal Wally Lewis, Lachlan carries the famous name, while Ofahiki's is one that takes some forgetting. Both will make their NRL debuts against the Knights in Newcastle on Saturday.

The mid-season departures of Aaron Woods to Cronulla and Moses Mbye to the Wests Tigers has resulted in Lewis and Ogden slotting straight into the club's top-30 squad, a sign of the times at Belmore, where rookies and bargain buys will be the norm while the Bulldogs dig themselves out of their salary cap hole.

Lewis, 21, comes into the halves to cover for the injured Kieran Foran, while 22-year-old Ogden will start from the bench against Newcastle with Aidan Tolman returning from injury to replace Woods up front. Will Hopoate returns to fullback in place of Mbye.

Renowned as a solid defender, Lewis has captained the Bulldogs' Intrust Super Premiership side this season as he alternates between centre and the halves, and gets his first-grade chance after moving from Canberra two years ago.

Ogden meanwhile tips the scales at 106 kilos and has been among Canterbury's best at second-tier level since arriving from the Warriors late last year.

Along with an NRL debut, Ogden's form earned him a NSW Residents call-up in last week's Holden State of Origin curtain-raiser, and a reputation at the club's Belmore base.

"He's tougher than nails. He's definitely someone that I steer clear of when I'm running the ball at training," back-rower Adam Elliott said.

"He's got some big shoulders on him and he's a big boy. He's come over from New Zealand and pushed himself and trained really hard and then he's played really hard in reserve grade.

"He's definitely earned his spot. In saying how sad it is to see Woodsy go there's a great opportunity for someone like 'Ofa' who could be anything going forward in the future, I think he's going to be a great player."

While Ogden and Lewis come into the 17 against Newcastle, Foran faces another gruelling rehab stint after successful surgery on the marquee halfback's season-ending toe injury earlier this week.

The Kiwi international's signing has come under fierce criticism given his repeated injuries and how they hampered him when he made it onto the paddock.

After a six-week recovery from ligament damage in his toe, Foran will undertake an extensive pre-season in a bid to get his body right, with Elliott backing the veteran playmaker to return to full fitness.

"It goes back to when he first started playing NRL, he's probably the number one halfback who took the ball into the line," Elliott said.

"Since he's been playing NRL he's always put his body on the line and played through pain. Seeing it first hand, I've got so much respect for Foz with the way he's fought through this pre-season to get his body right... and maintained it for 12 games straight when there was a lot going on and pushing through the pain. I've got no doubt in my mind. He's contracted here for a while and I think he's going to come back and make the absolute most of that... he's got a fair bit of time to get himself right for the 2019 season and I seriously think he'll be sweet."
Didn't he say the same thing about foran start of this pre-season. We all know how that turned out :tired:

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
How is our roster remotely close to the cap next year.. Makes no sense & dont believe it

Vlasnik

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Hey Adam, too much BLAH,BLAH,BLAH

and NOT enough impact running with the ball!!!

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Thought Foran had left, got excited :(

D- voice

Kennel Addict
Reaction score

I totally agree...
My advise to Elliott if you wantTo be successful you start Doing and stop Talking !!!

Como Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I don't think we are... I think we are preparing an attacking raid like Knights and Tigers did.
Hope you're right but who knows when you have contracts with the names of Hasler and Castle on them. If we are well below then we're playing the media well.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Has anybody thought that somebody from the club is required to do all these media interviews to preview games? The fact it was Reynolds and then Mbye tells me that the other senior players don’t want to do it. Not that we have many senior players left. Tolman is vice captain so maybe he should rotate with Jackson for the media commitments so that guys like Elliott can just worry about their football.

The DoggFather

ASSASSIN
Premium Member
Gilded
Site's Top Poster
Reaction score
Hope he walks the walk as of today.

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The young players at the club must have hope now under Pay knowing he does give out opportunities. Hasler would never have tinkered with the team so much or given Lewis a debut

Status
Not open for further replies.