Newcastle Full-Back Nick Meaney signs for the Bulldogs

Status
Not open for further replies.

jamma01

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Another "no real thought or research ex U20 NSW under Pay signing" I really hope both Meaney and Cogger come good. But im not convinced with coaches signing their old bum chums. Ive seen it way too many times and it rarely fucking works out.
Dean Pay never coached Meeney , hes played Nsw 20s last year the year after Pay left that job

Baby Blues

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Olive won't be selected ahead of Lomu and Vagana under Pay and Martin is rumored to be leaving us.
I know somebody connected to Martin and they have told me he hasn’t signed elsewhere. I think we are a good chance of retaining him now that Woods is gone. Souths are also out of the hunt as they have signed B Sironen for backrow depth

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
Meany summed up:
Patrick Templeman in attack.
Brad Abbey in defence.

Needs to learn how to use his arms to tackle. Falls off a LOT, or just tries to bump away players (which when you are a beanpole and the opposing centre has 15-20kgs on you - does not work).

He's quick and has reasonable footwork, but doesn't follow play and chime in much from the back (non ball playing fullback), nor order troops around from the back in defence.

I see him more as an old school fullback (like Patten), rather than a new style fullback like Ponga/Tedesco/Holmes.

Newcastle (dead bottom of comp in NSW Cup) didn't put up a fight to retain him.

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
I know somebody connected to Martin and they have told me he hasn’t signed elsewhere. I think we are a good chance of retaining him now that Woods is gone. Souths are also out of the hunt as they have signed B Sironen for backrow depth
Please be true, i really don't see us picking up a better edge forward than him at this stage so hopefullt we can hold onto him.

maroondog72

Kennel Immortal
Gilded
Reaction score
Another "no real thought or research ex U20 NSW under Pay signing" I really hope both Meaney and Cogger come good. But im not convinced with coaches signing their old bum chums. Ive seen it way too many times and it rarely fucking works out.
Yeah spending millions on duds is working so well for us why change the formula??

_G-Dog_

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
From what ive seen of the kid he is far from first grade level... still has alot of developing to do in lower grades..

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Hopefully this kid can make a name for himself at Canterbury. I haven't seen him play but we have to have some luck with signings eventually.
The club rates him. Their view is he is a genuine fullback with speed and step. He apparently knows how to link with the backline and when. They actually see him as a better FB than Mbye (although Mbye is prob a better athlete)

Precise

Kennel Established
Reaction score
Meany summed up:
Patrick Templeman in attack.
Brad Abbey in defence.

Needs to learn how to use his arms to tackle. Falls off a LOT, or just tries to bump away players (which when you are a beanpole and the opposing centre has 15-20kgs on you - does not work).

He's quick and has reasonable footwork, but doesn't follow play and chime in much from the back (non ball playing fullback), nor order troops around from the back in defence.

I see him more as an old school fullback (like Patten), rather than a new style fullback like Ponga/Tedesco/Holmes.

Newcastle (dead bottom of comp in NSW Cup) didn't put up a fight to retain him.
How often have you watched him play? My mates a Newcastle fan through and through for life watches every grade been through absolute years of hell and puts big wraps on this kid coming through. Said if didn't have Ponga would be a start for sure for them, I think Newcastle will start to prepare to have absolute minimum paid backup and stockpiling a warchest for Pongas next contract they have no need for any replacement at the moment on more than minimum wage I'm sure they view Ponga as the solution for the next 8 years at least. He tells me Cogger still needs a lot more time to mature than Meany.

Riggs80

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
I love the people who write the kid off when they have probably seen 5 minutes of him play. Just remember, there were plenty of Dogs supporters happy to write off Thurston after his 1st 10 games in 1sts.
I think you right , how dare they write him off , just like all that are writing off Montoya , we still need to see another 2seasons of him playing before we can decide if he is useless

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I think you right , how dare they write him off , just like all that are writing off Montoya , we still need to see another 2seasons of him playing before we can decide if he is useless
We've already had the best part of 2 seasons watching Montoya go backwards. If he was quick or even positionally on the money then you could work with it but the sad truth is he is neither of those things. Yes he catches the high ball but that is where it begins and ends. JAC has plenty of faults but he has speed and that makes up for all of them if you are a winger.

BELMORE

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
4 years to find your feet geez you must be a loser with that kind of attitude

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
How often have you watched him play? My mates a Newcastle fan through and through for life watches every grade been through absolute years of hell and puts big wraps on this kid coming through. Said if didn't have Ponga would be a start for sure for them, I think Newcastle will start to prepare to have absolute minimum paid backup and stockpiling a warchest for Pongas next contract they have no need for any replacement at the moment on more than minimum wage I'm sure they view Ponga as the solution for the next 8 years at least. He tells me Cogger still needs a lot more time to mature than Meany.
Saw him in a few games last season, watched all the match highlights this season, as well as reading up on the stats.

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Saw him in a few games last season, watched all the match highlights this season, as well as reading up on the stats.
The Club (in fact all clubs) have a computer program that isolates every player from U20's upwards that they can watch in both attack and defence. I had a look at it the other day. It dissects everything every player does. They don't just sign some bloke because they have a feeling. They review every play he has been involved in for, depending on the player, up to the last 5 years. If they rate him it is because they have seen something in the reviews that gives them confidence. I'll go with that, thanks.

spscand

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
The club rates him. Their view is he is a genuine fullback with speed and step. He apparently knows how to link with the backline and when. They actually see him as a better FB than Mbye (although Mbye is prob a better athlete)
Truth here! Mbye is NOT anything. He has no position he will nail in the NRL. Hes an athlete with no real positional talent. And we need positional talent at the moment. I was mbyes biggest fan but then slowly realised that each year he would explode first 3 or so games in a new position, then when his athleticism peaks his lack of positional talent shows.

Happy hes gone because he turned out to be a myth. An expensive myth.

the hound

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
In all fairness the kid has been injured, or returning from injury for a fair whack of this year. Reading up on stats to make assumptions sounds like the workings of that mad hatter Hasler.

Qld-Dog

Kennel Addict
Reaction score
Example??

HaceDog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
You are the one that said Lewis had forced heaps of drop outs in the reserves when he had forced zero. Your eyes can't be trusted

Status
Not open for further replies.