Cogger and Meaney

Status
Not open for further replies.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Makes no sense, we just
There is an outside chance we may retain JMoz but not Bmoz as his knee is shot, but our ratchet clauses combined with the backended deals means we are bust until 2021. Doesn't matter that we don't understand it. It is what it is.
With who are those deals done though? Other than Foran, Jackson, Klemmer and Tolman we have no one on any serious money. Those guys can't take up half our cap.

And the Morris's will either stay or leave together. I can't see them separating and can see them both playing for someone together in England.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
The money that those two free up will mean that when we buy players in a couple of years we will have $150k per player instead of $80-90k. that's how bad it is.
Exactly what was pretty much said mate, in 2019 players coming to the end of their contract getting back ended deals, “ratchet clause” we won’t have clear space cap wise until 2021 that’s it in a nut shell from Kent an co.

Longtimedog

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
I’ve seen little of both but from what I have witnessed Cogger seems to play like Trent Hodkinson ie. touches the ball a lot but does nothing except catch and pass/put in some non-threatening kicks.

And I just hope Meaney is not Abbey 2.0
Exactly

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
I didn't and couldn't get into details but it wasn't a hint, they were quite clear our cap is shot until 2021 no ifs no buts. The problem seems to be that to keep Graham and a few others a couple of years ago some of our current players took low ball contracts at the beginning with a big payday at the end. Then our genius management negotiated a ratchet clause on top of that. So and only using it to illustrate, if we have players who signed like Eastwood did ($200 year 1 and $800 year 2) that means we have a number of blokes who will be getting way over $1m at the back of their contracts. Then you add the ratchet clause that the managers negotiated because the new cap wasn't known (eg. cap went up by 20% so their pay goes up by 20%) and the $1m+ becomes $1.2m+. If we have 4 of those contracts still alive for the next 2 years that's a minimum of $800k in ratchets plus a minimum of $4m in player salaries for 4 blokes. Doesn't leave much for the other 26 does it. Now that is only an example as I don't know the actual figures but I have been told that Foran is on over $1m THIS YEAR so who knows what he is on in the next 2.

Mr Invisible

Banned
Reaction score
I reckon our club is telling everyone our cap is fucked, so that they can make some big purchases under the cloak of darkness. Stops us getting into bidding wars in the media too. So if that is the case it's very smart.

Reporters: Do you have any money Bulldogs?
Bulldogs: Yeah nah, nah yeah... nah... nah mate.

* months later *

Bulldogs: Announcing our 3 new signings for 2019!!

Well basically we are in a bad spot cap wise as we all know, and won’t be able to do any marquee signings until 2021
If that's true the fans will NOT tolerate anything till then.

360 is full of blowarses talking excrement normally though.

B-Train

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your info Oatley Dog but we're all hoping, yourself included I'm sure, that this isn't the case or if it is, we can find ways out of those contracts for the likes of Tolman, Hoppa and Foran etc the way Hill and Co have with Mbye and Woods.

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
So when Hill told us next year we have 500k (he said this while we had both Woods and Mbye)

Was he telling us porkies or what?

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing your info Oatley Dog but we're all hoping, yourself included I'm sure, that this isn't the case or if it is, we can find ways out of those contracts for the likes of Tolman, Hoppa and Foran etc the way Hill and Co have with Mbye and Woods.
I wish it weren't so that's for sure, but given the consistency of what I have been told over a long period, including today, I just can't see it not being right. Everything I have heard about what is happening keeps happening, even the Woods thing with the money being a sticking point up until this morning when they agreed. There were quite a few other things told to me that I wouldn't tell anyone else because it would only create more stress, but things are really tough at the moment both for the players and in the backroom. The good news is that as I was leaving one of the senior blokes said "don't worry we'll be back bigger and stronger than ever" and he was serious. They all know we are on our knees but they also know the Dogs spirit will make sure we come back to the top in the next few years. I left a bit happier with that thought.....

Kempsey Dog

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
SC Top Scorer
Tipping Champion
Reaction score
Cogger looks well below average so far but has good wraps from his junior days. Meaney is supposedly a poor mans Tedesco.
i dont have high hopes for Meaney, if he plays like Dylan Edwards ill be happy

UndeadShadowMan

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Can we get them now? Seeing we under the cap this season by a lot now

CrittaMagic69

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
SC H2H Champion
2 x SC Draft Champ
Reaction score
Considering we have the likes of Hoppa on 700k a year, Foran on $1.1m a year and re-signing Lichaa on a 2 year deal worth 850k in total and backended to 700k next year it is not surprising
Where did this Lichaa on on 850k come from? Lol. No one wanted him?

KiwiDog7

Kennel Immortal
Reaction score
I wish it weren't so that's for sure, but given the consistency of what I have been told over a long period, including today, I just can't see it not being right. Everything I have heard about what is happening keeps happening, even the Woods thing with the money being a sticking point up until this morning when they agreed. There were quite a few other things told to me that I wouldn't tell anyone else because it would only create more stress, but things are really tough at the moment both for the players and in the backroom. The good news is that as I was leaving one of the senior blokes said "don't worry we'll be back bigger and stronger than ever" and he was serious. They all know we are on our knees but they also know the Dogs spirit will make sure we come back to the top in the next few years. I left a bit happier with that thought.....
Do you work inside the club mate? Or just have good connections there

The recruiting style we have seen recently backs up the doom and gloom tbh

Cogger, Crichton and Meaney et al not paid top dollar but lured for the opportunity to play first grade consistently

Oatley Dog

Kennel Enthusiast
Gilded
Reaction score
Do you work inside the club mate? Or just have good connections there

The recruiting recently backs up tithe doom and gloom tbh

Cogger, Crichton and Meaney et al not paid top dollar but lured for the opportunity to play first grade consistently
No mate, don't work there but I do know several of the people who make a lot of decisions there. A couple of my mates have quite a few of them on speed dial.

Scoooby

Kennel Immortal
Premium Member
Gilded
Reaction score
At least there’s some positivity to take from all the bad, and we just have to be patient the next couple of years. At the end of the day it should all be worth it though.

finchie

Kennel Legend
Reaction score
Cogger is putrid or as I like to call him
The new human turnstile

crack

Kennel Participant
Reaction score
What a train wreck and Raymond dib is still on the NSWRL board !! and Peponis has blood on his hands surely with what’s gone on, they tried buying a premiership and it backfired badly.

Horny Wog

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
What a train wreck and Raymond dib is still on the NSWRL board !! and Peponis has blood on his hands surely with what’s gone on, they tried buying a premiership and it backfired badly.
No way were they trying to buy a premiership with the players they recruited.

Desaster was trying to buy a top 8 spot to initiate his top 8 bonus

albatross

Kennel Enthusiast
Reaction score
Here's my go at fuzzy maths...

Phil Gould said in an TV interview a few weeks ago that if a club frees up salary cap before June 30 they can can bring forward next years cap money to fill the gap this year. I'll assume that's 300 grand we save from Mbye and Woods for half a year. Other players will love to get paid early.

Then if we get say 1.2 mill from what we save from Woods and Mbye next year that's about 1.5 mill extra altogether.

Can't remember exactly what Hill said about our cap state before but something like a million for 8 players I think. So now we have about $2.5 mill for 8 players. Can still buy mostly young blokes but can maybe afford a couple of decent players. Hope I'm right with the calc's.

Unfortunately I can't see many good spine players on the market now. Might have to put our hopes on Cogger and Meaney in the spine and buy a good prop, a decent right edge backrower and fast centre or two.

Status
Not open for further replies.